Insurance company Headshaker

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PeteTPuma

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Try and rent a car with no insurance and get into an accident. Your personal insurance may or may not cover the car itself. But that's not the big ticket cost anyways. Most rentals done are people out of state, and if you hit the wrong person you'll be sued. My dad had this happen to him, and it was the other drivers fault to begin with. 6 years of hiring a lawyer in the vacation city/state he had the accident in as well as a lawyer close to him in his home state. Just to go back and forth trip after trip as it continues to drag on. In the end the court ruled in his favor. But all the flights, lawyer costs x2, hotel costs, etc added up to many times more than just getting full coverage for what? Like $25 a day worse case.

Since seeing him go through all the bs for years I always ask when I rent a car "which one is where I hand you the keys and walk away with no impact to me?" You should see some of the reactions!! :) But seriously, it's peanuts to what he paid over those 6 years. Not even close.
We had a friend who worked for a rental car company. She was in the “we are coming after you dept”.

When you rent a car and get into an accident, your insurance may or may not cover the damage, but it will not cover the daily cost of renting the vehicle. That’s on you.

Oh and that special rate you got?

That’s gone. You now will owe the maximum daily rental rate for that vehicle until it us repaired and back in service - that is in the small print on the contract you sign when you rent the vehicle.

However, the rental insurance does cover that. I always get the rental insurance.

CanuckRam1313

Reaction score
Ram Year
2023 Warlock SLT
Engine
What is the fastest, most abused car on the road?
A rental with rental insurance.
Agreed!
For protection purposes I can't disclose the business name rented from or location of the incident, but 'hand-on-heart true af situation for me and my Bro's back in the day in late 90's to very early 2000's!' ...lol ;)

We rented a Durango 4x4 with the Magnum, and got the zero deductible and zero liability coverage too; their premium/platinum insurance coverage (we paid cash for the invoice and paid a $200 cash deposit for the hold) :)

So, the three of us went to the a local-ish forest land area and had a heck of a fun day (road beverages and earth friendly smoking items were also included, in our rental package!..lol)

Needless to say, when we returned the vehicle back the next day, several dash lights were on, the 4x4 didn't work so well anymore, the transmission slipped (neutral drops were the best, back in the day), there were some very weird noises coming from multiple areas of the vehicle, and apparently others dented the bumpers and scratched the vehicle when we were out of it as it was left unattended for a while (all traces of mud and dirt were removed, of course ;))

Ahhhh.... the good ol' days!!
We still reminisce about this adventure to this day!

So yes, while some peoples own automobile insurance policy's will cover rentals, it's not a bad idea to spring for that extra daily insurance plan offered by the rental company, for peace of mind, of course.

Ratman6161

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Rams are one of the lowest percentage at 0.02% going by that list,and i don't see Challengers or Chargers on the list. Does that mean FCA/Stellentis owners qualify for lower insurance rates,lol
Maybe we do? My 2022 Ram 2500 cost about $23k more than my Wife's Infiniti QX50 but the insurance bill is about $50 less per 6 months.

Dusty

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Rams are one of the lowest percentage at 0.02% going by that list,and i don't see Challengers or Chargers on the list. Does that mean FCA/Stellentis owners qualify for lower insurance rates,lol
A few years ago Ram 1500 was on a list. Since information on how to steal Hyundai/Kia cars is all over the web and become a sort of rite of passage for some, it's likely pushed most brands and models way down the list.

Regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33-gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build Daye: 3 June 2018. Now at 86719 miles.

RAMPO

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 PW
Engine
6.4 hemi
You can do like a friend does and remove your starter relay. They can’t start it to drive away. He took a second relay and took off the 30 and 27 posts so it just clicks but no power transfers.

The sad part is if someone wants something they will take it. A coworker had his ram truck, trailer and side by side stolen. Caught on CCTV video. The ford ramp truck backed up with the ramp tipped up. The passenger got out hooked the hooks on the front tow hooks. The driver backed up and pulled the ford under the ram. Lifted up just off the ground and drove off. The cops found another CCTV video of them in a back parking lot 5 blocks away where they cut the trailer lock off, unhooked it. Then levels the flat bed off, and tied the dodge down. They tarped the truck with a canvas tarp. Hooked the trailer to ford and drove away. They haven’t found his truck after that.

The whole first loading took just under 2 min. The coworker and his family had just stepped into the restaurant for dinner. It was stolen before they got a seat to eat. He looked out as they were sitting down at a window look at the parking lot that he had parked in. And it wasn’t there. Cops called, claims filed and well insurance covers most of the vehicle and things but took almost two months to get a check.

3CUMMINS

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 2019 2020
Engine
5.9 6.7HO 6.7
Or you could use an age old and proven to work deterrent.
My grandfather owned a store in a small town and my dad was responsible to update the day's specials each day. Unfortunately, a local dog came around daily and lifted his leg on the sign that would have to be cleaned manually and redone.
My dad hooked it up the household current. Last day for the sign cleaning and the dog.
Sorry if this offends anyone but it's a fact.