Integrated Break Controller

Brake controller readings and issues

• Any other issues

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Do you think it software issue

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

James Taylor

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I am having issues towing a 12k 5th wheel. The first 900 miles no issue. The second day the controller kept flashing service brake system and going in and out connection flashing warning info on the dash. I checked the wiring on the plug and trailer and everything thing looks and tests out fine. The trailer grounded even without being hitched up.
When metering the volts I was getting these readings: On level 3 was a little over 3v then 5 it was 5.3 and 6 it was 6.3. Then 7,8,9,and 10 it stayed at 6.3. Is that correct?

Any suggestions?

Last edited:

BossHogg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
What year truck? Which model? Factory brake controller?

"Service brake system" message doesn't sound trailer related. What kind of a brake controller do you have that has the ability to display a message?

OP
OP
J

James Taylor

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
2016 outdoorsman crewcab 6.7 Cummins. Yes factory installed break controller.
Thank you

BossHogg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
2016 outdoorsman crewcab 6.7 Cummins. Yes factory installed break controller.
Thank you

Two things, you are posting in the 2019 generation 5 forum and, break versus brake you want the later.

RAM had an issue with 2015 through early 2016 ITBM production, why they felt the need to change it is a mystery but likely due to a supplier change for lower costs. Whatever the reason it sure looks like RAM failed to do the regression testing and poor braking performance resulted on heavier trailers, typically those 10,000 pounds and above albeit there were exceptions reported by users.

If your truck was built before November 2016, go to your dealer and see if your ITBM and ABS module have the current software releases.

I still don't think a "service brake system" message has anything to do with your trailer. Have you pulled any trouble codes from the vehicle?