Help Support Ram Forum by donating:

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Interior squeak ***update*** fixed

Discussion in 'Interior' started by zeddy, Jan 10, 2020.

1. zeddy

zeddy Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    6.4 Hemi
    I have this squeak and rattle coming from somewhere in the drivers side dash area. It’s loud, very noticeable even with stereo on. And seems to happen when it’s cold out (under 50°). Driving home today after work with the heater on, no squeak or rattle.

Cruising down the street in the mornings it squeaks and rattles. If I push on the dash over the cluster, it stops. Or if I tap on the dash it’ll stop and come right back.

if I push the steering up you can hear the squeak but not as loud.

anyone have this happen? Any ideas where to look?

thanks in advance.

2. RamCares

RamCares Senior Member

Ram Year:
    n/a
    Engine:
    n/a
    Hello zeddy,
    I certainly understand why this would be concerning. If you are unable to determine the cause of this with the assistance of fellow forum members, I suggest connecting with your local dealer as they are in the best position to assist. Please know that we are available via private message if you are in need of any assistance with that process.
    Laura
    RamCares

3. zeddy

zeddy Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    6.4 Hemi
    Thanks ramcares, things like this I’d rather try to figure out myself, if I can’t then I’ll take it in.

I’ve narrowed it down to the steering wheel. When I move the steering wheel up and down it’s the squeak and rattle. here’s a video. Funny thing is if I tap the dash it stops.

Any ideas?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. zeddy

zeddy Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    6.4 Hemi
    ok, so it's not from the steering wheel. i now narrowed it down to where the dashboard meets the windshield on the driver's side. I shoved a towel between the windshield and dash, the squeak and rattle went away. Last night I tried stuffing weather stripping there and it's still there.

the squeak is more of styrophone rubbing. when the truck is stationary, and you shake the truck side to side, you can hear it. any advance?

i can't be the only one here with this.

thanks in advance.

5. zeddy

zeddy Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    6.4 Hemi
    After being at the dealer for almost three weeks, they gave my truck back and said it was fixed. They said the foam behind the dash/firewall was real thin from the factory. So they added more foam. After picking up the truck, a few miles down the road, it’s still there.

About a week later, when I got home from work, the dash would creak while I moved around inside the cab. So i started to look around. I noticed square plastic covers on the dash where it meets the windshield. One on the drivers side and one on the passenger. I popped those off and found two bolts in each. On the drivers side, the 10mm bolt was loose. Took about 3-4 full turns before it tighten up. Passenger side already nice and tight.

after tightening that bolt, the creaking stopped while I was inside the truck. It’s been a week now and no squeak or creaking while driving. Took me 10 minutes to do all that. Took dealer three weeks. Btw, this was a few weeks before the covid19 lockdowns.

super happy now. hope this might help someone else in the future.

Loudram likes this.