Iridium plugs???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jr27236

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
So my 2016 5.7 hemi limited is @ 101500 , so I wanted to change the spark plugs. I saw in another post that if I went with Iridium ugs that the coil packs should be changed also? My plugs are all original and have searched me well, so before I pull one to see what they are. What do you all recommend? Brand/type? I must of been asleep for the last 30 years because there were only maybe 2 types the last time I have done plugs lol

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
So my 2016 5.7 hemi limited is @ 101500 , so I wanted to change the spark plugs. I saw in another post that if I went with Iridium ugs that the coil packs should be changed also? My plugs are all original and have searched me well, so before I pull one to see what they are. What do you all recommend? Brand/type? I must of been asleep for the last 30 years because there were only maybe 2 types the last time I have done plugs lol
You're coils are good,as your truck already has NGK iridium plugs in it.Buy your plugs from a reputable place ,"do not" buy NGK plugs off Amazon or Ebay.Both places are flooded with Chinese knock off plugs,and NGK's are one the worst for being fake plugs

Sherman Bird

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
More crap information. Iridium plugs do not demand any more from your coil(s) than regular or platinums. The Iridiums have a marked longevity to the others... that is all.

OP
OP
jr27236

jr27236

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Yeah I saw something about that with the fakes. So Rockauto has NGK 92145's and seen people using that part number. Is that the correct ones?

OP
OP
jr27236

jr27236

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
More crap information. Iridium plugs do not demand any more from your coil(s) than regular or platinums. The Iridiums have a marked longevity to the others... that is all.
Thank you, the evolution of these plugs is ridiculously confusing

Sherman Bird

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thank you, the evolution of these plugs is ridiculously confusing
It all boils down to maintenance which is performed in relation to the negligent and lazy nature of most folks who do not do maintenance within "prevention" windows. This is why the advent of Platinum and iridium plugs. They can and do last beyond recommended intervals BUT FAIL the same way regular plus do in the event of overly rich or extremes of lean conditions. Ignition coils typically fail ONLY as a result of a failed spark plug. You can thank the EPA.

Atcer2018

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
+1 Exactly like Wild man said. Spend the extra 50-60 dollars and buy the plugs from a local brick and mortar store. I made the mistake of purchasing Denso plugs for my daughters Civic from eBay. One failed before 500 miles. Went to Advance and purchased one plug to replace it. Comparing the new versus eBay plug it was clearly a fake. The blue lettering was much lighter and the trademark symbol was missing on the eBay plug. The metal on the threads was even different and the threads were better machined on the Advance auto plug. Fortunately it was an inexpensive learning lesson and it’s a heck of a lot easier to change four plugs on a Honda than 16 on a Hemi.

OP
OP
jr27236

jr27236

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I would hope a place like Rockauto wouldn't be selling fakes. Shopping around with local brick and mortar, which I'd like to do business with are more than twice the cost. But i would need to wait on shipping and would like to bang this out today. But that'd be more than double the cost of I do but local! Sad how these large online retailers blow out the local places

Atcer2018

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I would hope a place like Rockauto wouldn't be selling fakes. Shopping around with local brick and mortar, which I'd like to do business with are more than twice the cost. But i would need to wait on shipping and would like to bang this out today. But that'd be more than double the cost of I do but local! Sad how these large online retailers blow out the local places
I don’t know what retail auto parts stores you have locally but AutoZone and Advance typically offer 20% discounts if you buy online and pick up at the store.

OP
OP
jr27236

jr27236

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
So I called advanced auto parts online sales customer service and they price match Rockauto and other online retailers!! So I went from $13:50 in-store to $6.56 and pickup in 30 minutes!! Figured I'd share this because that is a HUGE savings for me now and in the future. It was effortless also lol (I expected a big NO)

Atcer2018

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So I called advanced auto parts online sales customer service and they price match Rockauto and other online retailers!! So I went from $13:50 in-store to $6.56 and pickup in 30 minutes!! Figured I'd share this because that is a HUGE savings for me now and in the future. It was effortless also lol (I expected a big NO)
Well dang that’s good to know! Thank you for the info.

Sherman Bird

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have no idea what your age is.... but the old saying "You get what you pay for" is still very true. My final lesson from online parts was a timing chain/ gear, VVT actuator kit for a 2003 Toyota Matrix (actually a Pontiac Vibe/ rebadged Toyota) with a 1ZZFE 1.8L engine which I found on line at a 50% savings. I rebuilt the engine at the end of 2016. After putting it together, it ran great! Test drove and got the check engine light in spite of it running very good. DTC was a cam/crank correlation fault. I rutzafrutted with it for a while before I found the culprit: The VVT actuator gear had the timing mark off about 15 degrees (a tooth).

I bought a major brand VVT here local..... that was 7 years ago, and the car has gone nearly 160,000 miles since with no further problems.
Having to tear down the front of that engine in chassis was major work... and I had to do it for no compensation. So, my bitterness will remain for a very long time; partly because it wasn't the first time I'd gotten burned on "internet cheap".

OP
OP
jr27236

jr27236

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I have no idea what your age is.... but the old saying "You get what you pay for" is still very true. My final lesson from online parts was a timing chain/ gear, VVT actuator kit for a 2003 Toyota Matrix (actually a Pontiac Vibe/ rebadged Toyota) with a 1ZZFE 1.8L engine which I found on line at a 50% savings. I rebuilt the engine at the end of 2016. After putting it together, it ran great! Test drove and got the check engine light in spite of it running very good. DTC was a cam/crank correlation fault. I rutzafrutted with it for a while before I found the culprit: The VVT actuator gear had the timing mark off about 15 degrees (a tooth).

I bought a major brand VVT here local..... that was 7 years ago, and the car has gone nearly 160,000 miles since with no further problems.
Having to tear down the front of that engine in chassis was major work... and I had to do it for no compensation. So, my bitterness will remain for a very long time; partly because it wasn't the first time I'd gotten burned on "internet cheap".
I did get them local from the brick and mortar store. Advanced auto parts prices matched the online retailer rock auto, that's what I was explaining, but it may of come in after you replied I think

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
I walked into a Brand new Advance Auto today, 6 weeks ago, it was a Pep Boys.

The gal working the check out counter was a sweet thing,
rings in her nose, ears & tongue, heavily tattooed on her arms, shoulders, neck & ears.
I listened to her working with the customers ahead of me.
She had trouble looking things up, but she was trying.

I did not care for the lay out of the store

I did not see any scan tools or much of anything useful
It will become a last resort auto parts store for me :(

Sherman Bird

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

rings in her nose, ears & tongue, heavily tattooed on her arms, shoulders, neck & ears.

The prevailing excuse I receive when I put upper management on the defensive for ignoramus parts monkeys is "We can't find anyone else to work for us". Here's an idea: PAY A DECVENT LIVING WAGE, and you might get SOME competence... but, alas, I'm preaching to someone at a level who has water front property in Kemah, and lives in Pecan Grove.

As long as there are people on this earth, there will be "Money first, people are fungible" attitudes from management EVERYWHERE.

At least I don't get burned in the end... I DO get refunded promptly for these substandard parts. I got burned to the tune of nearly 500 dollars by some company on the internet who's name resembles "Boulder Otto". Never again.

OP
OP
jr27236

jr27236

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi

Yeah at times going into these chain auto parts stores is difficult and tries your patience. But IMO Pep boys is nothing but a glorified Walmart of auto parts. The parts counter there (at least the one that thankfully closed near me) was TERRIBLE. They would tell me they don't even make a part I was looking for. Lol. But besides all that, I was just pointing out that you can price match, not being a fan boy.

Aircommuter

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have used iridium spark plugs in my airplane for 30 years and they last much longer like some said but I don’t agree with “nothing else “ statement. They stay cleaner and keep the gap setting longer as well. Since they are fine wire and the durability of the metal. This maintains a like new performance for a longer period. I put them in my Ram at 50k.
When it comes to Amazon parts, I wouldn’t. I have seen fake Fleetguard filters sold there that cracked around the seam and when sent to Fleetguard they said yes we have seen these before, they are not ours. Then my customer went back to Amazon but that seller was gone.

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 outdoorsman
Engine
5.7 hemi
I have been using double iridium Bosch plugs from rockauto for the last5 years plus , no issues or from crappy tire in canada, they are reliable. I regap them at half life, about 45 to 50 thousand km. but as mentioned all plugs can still fail at anytime

EdGs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
The prevailing excuse I receive when I put upper management on the defensive for ignoramus parts monkeys is "We can't find anyone else to work for us". Here's an idea: PAY A DECVENT LIVING WAGE, and you might get SOME competence... but, alas, I'm preaching to someone at a level who has water front property in Kemah, and lives in Pecan Grove.

As long as there are people on this earth, there will be "Money first, people are fungible" attitudes from management EVERYWHERE.

At least I don't get burned in the end... I DO get refunded promptly for these substandard parts. I got burned to the tune of nearly 500 dollars by some company on the internet who's name resembles "Boulder Otto". Never again.
@Sherman Bird, might I ask what you got burned on by "resembles Boulder Otto"?

I bought an Delphi fuel pump for my Ram from potentially the same place a couple months ago. Because only the level sensor was bad, I have procrastinated on putting it in until this weekend at the soonest.

Guess it doesn't matter for me at this point, it's been too long since purchase anyway. Fingers crossed.