Is deathwobble a problem on 4/5th gens

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PCT

2019 2500 6.4
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have been ready horror stories of the new ford super duties with less than 20k miles having deathwobble issue. I guess ford didnt do a good job designing the front end. Is this something all solid fronts have issues with or does ford just suck?

Canadian Mopar

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 SLT
Engine
6.4L HEMI
Death wobble can happen on any vehicle with a front solid axle, such as the 5-link system on Jeeps and Rams. It's usually caused by worn out components in the front end, or inexperienced installers of lift kits. The problem is amplified as you lift or shorten the wheelbase on the vehicle.
There's a really good thread over on wrangler forums on it
https://www.wranglerforum.com/f210/...dw-shimmies-and-wobbles-tj-version-78090.html

1500ram12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Cummins
It's definitely a solid front axle problem but I've only ever experienced it twice, both times were in a 2000 grand Cherokee with a 6" lift. And it started after one of the last trail rides I went on with it. After the first time I replaced the drag link, tie rod bar, track bar with upgraded parts from rusty's offroad. Didn't help. Sold it before I ever figured out exactly what the cause was. But with the 5 HD ram truck's I've owned over the past 10 years, all leveled, all varied in miles from 100 to 120000, I've never experienced even the slightest sign of death wobble with them.

2018 Ram 2500 6.4L Hemi Tradesman

crazy jerry

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
i think fords problem has alot to do with low qaulity front end components. how else could you get death wobble at 12k miles. of course the ss is in a poor location as well

OP
OP
PCT

PCT

2019 2500 6.4
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
i think fords problem has alot to do with low qaulity front end components. how else could you get death wobble at 12k miles. of course the ss is in a poor location as well
The idea is, they saved 700 or so lbs from the aluminum so they beefed up the suspension but didnt update their tie-rod ends, same part number from like '04, and its alligned wierd from factory causing ware on the joints.

crazy jerry

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
nothing was beefed up. its the same radius arm coil system theyve used for ages

RVGuy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
intresting.. ****** ford lol how are they #1?
Honestly I think it's just brand loyalty. The whole "my dad and his dad both drove Fords so I only drive Fords" thing.

Although my new work truck is a F350 and coming from my Ram 3500 it's a much much better quality ride unloaded.
Still preferred the Ram though.

crazy jerry

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
whats the criteria for being #1 ? if its total sales then perhaps they are #1. you have to remember ford is very popular fleet vehicle. i suspect theyre cheaper than ram and maybe give companies even bigger discounts if they increase the number of trucks purchased. companies are in business to make money and every penny saved is a penny earned

1500ram12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Cummins
Honestly I think it's just brand loyalty. The whole "my dad and his dad both drove Fords so I only drive Fords" thing.

Although my new work truck is a F350 and coming from my Ram 3500 it's a much much better quality ride unloaded.

It's partially that, along with fleet sales and Ford counts the entire F series line up. From f150 to f750 (I think it goes up to)

2018 Ram 2500 6.4L Hemi Tradesman

McBroom

U.S.Marine Veteran Retired 88-2000
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
NO! That was fixed on the gen 3 trucks

Blue Mule

wyo2track

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 RAM 2500
Engine
6.4L Hemi w/ 4.10's
Never have experienced any death wobble with my 2014. Front end still feels darn tight with 61K...even before my drag link nuts were welded... Wish I had that 6R140 tranny...complain all you want about isolated Ford death wobble, but I continue to read about guys throwing a ****load of power at that transmission and it continues to hold up to abuse. All these different brand trucks have their quirks.

BTGREEN

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have been ready horror stories of the new ford super duties with less than 20k miles having deathwobble issue. I guess ford didnt do a good job designing the front end. Is this something all solid fronts have issues with or does ford just suck?

We have a 2018 Ford F-250 company truck with 85000 miles, and nothing is wrong with the front end, all original.

There have been reports of the wobble on the Ford Truck forum, but I think it's due to bad geometry on the latest generation and not due to weak parts.

Our experience is the Ford front ends give us less downtime than the Rams. But again, we haven't experienced the wobble.

BTGREEN

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The idea is, they saved 700 or so lbs from the aluminum so they beefed up the suspension but didnt update their tie-rod ends, same part number from like '04, and its alligned wierd from factory causing ware on the joints.

Yeah, nothing was changed besides the caster and stabilizer. Quite frankly, the Ford front end really doesn't need beefing up, it's a pretty durable front Dana style axle.

OP
OP
PCT

PCT

2019 2500 6.4
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

Really i got a 2500, and drive an 6.7 f250 for work, and my Ram is better in every way, except power, cause well, not a diesel, and infotainment (i got tradesman infotainment) our work trucks are midgrade package.

OP
OP
PCT

PCT

2019 2500 6.4
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yeah, nothing was changed besides the caster and stabilizer. Quite frankly, the Ford front end really doesn't need beefing up, it's a pretty durable front Dana style axle.

Been reading that its weak ball joints, and bad geometry causing pre-mature failure.

BTGREEN

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Been reading that its weak ball joints, and bad geometry causing pre-mature failure.

Definitely not caused by weak ball joints, that was the 2003-2013 Rams. The Ford forums seem to think it's the track bar rubber bushing and crappy stabilizer that causes it.

I think it has to do with too little caster they set the axle at.

RVGuy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Really i got a 2500, and drive an 6.7 f250 for work, and my Ram is better in every way, except power, cause well, not a diesel, and infotainment (i got tradesman infotainment) our work trucks are midgrade package.
Well the 2500 is rear coils and the 3500 is springs so that might be the difference here. I'm comparing the 3500 Ram to the F350, the 3500 feels more like a truck and has more of a truck ride where the F350 feels smoother.

The 2500 Ram should beat the F250/350 and Ram 3500 since it has the coil rear end similar to the 1500s now.

I'll also add though, the F350 squats a lot more under load than the Ram 3500 ever did, both short bed crew cabs. I'll take a rougher ride with less squat any day of the week.

RandomRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Place I used to work had a fleet of Fords, mostly Explorers with an F150 and F250 thrown in. I had a 2017 F250 work truck that had predictable death wobble at 15k. Smack an expansion joint on a curve at highway speed and off she would go and would not stop until you stopped the truck. Local Ford dealer has morons in their service department and they just shrugged and said there wasn’t a fix.

Truck was ordered through GSA and they paid all of $27k for a crew cab long bed 4x4 XL with the 6.2 gas. Fords are the cheapest option for government and fleet vehicles, especially government vehicles.

This area is Dodge country. I have never heard of a Dodge with that problem. Our local dealer has a solid service department so that may help. I bought a Dodge because of the local dealer and I liked the truck. I actually like the aluma-duty too, but the local Ford dealer just flat sucks.

Al Smith

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummings
'18 Ram 3500 CC LB 4x4...Had mine in for drag link and actuator recall. Dealer said replaced actuator - but, my understanding it was just a piece of rubber to be replaced? Drag Link - they welded and painted. Also told me the OEM Nexan's had tread separation and needed to be replaced. They wanted to sell me 2 AmeriTracks, mounted and installed for $550+. As an after thought, I asked if they did an alignment before the welding, and they said no because I didn't ask for it! Recall V06 says to align, check torque, then weld. Cost of breaking weld, aligning and re-welding would be $139, if I bought tires from them! Called Chrysler and *******. I told Chrysler they only did the welding because they thought I would buy tires from them. In all my years, I've never had front end work, including tires, on any vehicle I had, without doing an alignment. I did go to another mechanic who agreed about the tread separation. I wanted only American made tires. Bought 2 Cooper's, mounted and balanced, for $535. Mechanic said he never, in all his years, seen a welded drag link. It should have been replaced regardless - just because a drag link was recalled. Idiot's.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
1Popeye