Is it possible

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hagar1

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Ram 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
For a PCM programming to become corrupt? I'm seeing "odd" things on my scanner. Long term adaptive in the 12759 range which isn't "real" then suddenly both long and short term will display "0" then after a few seconds they go to the big number.
I'm grasping at straws here but everything else tests OK.
Thoughts??

clay282

Black Betty had a child... named Betty White
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Loose ground? Frayed harness? Water intrusion? I may be wrong, but I think the likelihood of the brain having an issue, is about like winning the lottery. Unless you used a programmer and uploaded a corrupt file… I don’t see it happening like a bad sector on a hard drive.

OP
OP
H

Hagar1

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Ram 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Loose ground? Frayed harness? Water intrusion? I may be wrong, but I think the likelihood of the brain having an issue, is about like winning the lottery. Unless you used a programmer and uploaded a corrupt file… I don’t see it happening like a bad sector on a hard drive.
Thank you for the ideas, we have checked grounds and I even installed an additional ground between engine and frame. The problem essentially started overnight. The truck is completely stock in all areas, no modifications and no tuners.
I was reading an article that listed the top 5 problems and I have 3. The article points to a failing pcm. I agree that it is not like a hard drive but a voltage spike, if it happened could cause a problem. I'm trying to exhaust all possible issues before I shovel out the money for a computer.
Thanks again

clay282

Black Betty had a child... named Betty White
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Can you pop open the PCM and look around? I wonder if there might be some kind of indication of a power spike in internal failure like scorched area on the board.

OP
OP
H

Hagar1

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Ram 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Can you pop open the PCM and look around? I wonder if there might be some kind of indication of a power spike in internal failure like scorched area on the board.
I don't know, I'm going to take it to a dealer to see if they can figure it out.

OP
OP
H

Hagar1

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Ram 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Diagnostic box today. What is the consensus on the long term? Driving along, suddenly the numbers will go to zero and then back to what is displayed. Any ideas or suggestions? Wondering if it is a pcm failure....

Attachments

• 20240131_113354.jpg
    20240131_113354.jpg
    146.6 KB · Views: 6
OP
OP
H

Hagar1

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Ram 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Diagnostic box today. What is the consensus on the long term? Driving along, suddenly the numbers will go to zero and then back to what is displayed. Any ideas or suggestions? Wondering if it is a pcm failure....
Any ideas or suggestions for the long term adaptive readings.