Is there a anti-spin front diff available for my 2013 3500 6.7?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jdhreiss

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
I'm wondering if there is a anti spin front diff for my 2013 3500 6.7 tradesman available out there.

Joe R.
SW Washington

Travelin Ram

Reaction score
Somewhere in NA. Probably. We travel a lot.
Ram Year
Engine
You’ll want to confirm, but I believe 2013 had a front axle center axle disconnect (CAD). You can’t maintain the function of a CAD and have a LSD in the front insofar as I know. When the CAD is open, the front carrier doesn’t rotate, and the spider gears spin instead, with the left and right spiders going in opposing directions. No LSD I know of will tolerate that.

Power Wagons use a selective locker in the front, you could do that. Likely ARB or others make lockers too, but I’ve had no reason to look into aftermarket.

Another option I believe is deleting the CAD, then you can use LSD’s such as Eaton TrueTrac, assuming they are made for your axle. The downside on that is the front diff and driveshaft will spin all the time, so there’s a small mpg penalty and some increase in vibration (more so in lifted vehicles with altered driveline angles).

OP
OP
jdhreiss

jdhreiss

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
Got it. I haven't had the need until I went to northern Idaho this winter and got up in some heavy snow. Thanks!

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
A selectable front locker would be useful as it will function like what you have now for typical low traction situations but you can lock up the front end if you get into some really soupy stuff.

olyelr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Imo the soupy stuff or loose stuff like sand or snow, you dont need the locker engaged….really wont give you any benefit. Its when you are in hard pack/rocky stuff or lifting tires off the ground where the lockers shine. I have a power wagon and rarely use the lockers as most of the time im wheeling is in the sand dunes or snow and they really offer no benefit in most situations.

62Blazer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Not sure I agree with the above post taking about CAD and LSD issues. All the CAD does is disconnect the right side front wheel from the diff and don't see how it would cause any issues??? The left front wheel will spin when going down the road which spins the axle shaft, which spins the diff. With the LSD it will just spin the driver's side inner stub shaft the same speed. Maybe I'm missing something but don't see how this is an issue???
I will also say there is definitely an advantage to a LSD or locked front axle in sand or snow. Personally think it's crazy to say there is not. Sure, you don't ALWAYS need it but in seriously deep sand and snow it will help keep the truck moving forward and keep from getting stuck. It's not nearly as obvious as when rock crawling and lifting a tire off the ground, but you are not getting equal power to the front axle with an open diff as soon as they start spinning. Granted, if talking about an LSD versus locker often the LSD can transfer enough power to keep both tires spinning. My comments come from running trucks off-road and trailriding since the 1990's. I've personally owned multiple vehicles with LSD and lockers in the front axle for 20+ years.
I do think a selectable locker is a good choice for the front regardless of any of the above questions. An LSD front can cause some slightly funky handling in some situations, such as when running 4wd at higher speeds on snowy roads.

Lsujker

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Not sure I agree with the above post taking about CAD and LSD issues. All the CAD does is disconnect the right side front wheel from the diff and don't see how it would cause any issues??? The left front wheel will spin when going down the road which spins the axle shaft, which spins the diff. With the LSD it will just spin the driver's side inner stub shaft the same speed. Maybe I'm missing something but don't see how this is an issue???
I will also say there is definitely an advantage to a LSD or locked front axle in sand or snow. Personally think it's crazy to say there is not. Sure, you don't ALWAYS need it but in seriously deep sand and snow it will help keep the truck moving forward and keep from getting stuck. It's not nearly as obvious as when rock crawling and lifting a tire off the ground, but you are not getting equal power to the front axle with an open diff as soon as they start spinning. Granted, if talking about an LSD versus locker often the LSD can transfer enough power to keep both tires spinning. My comments come from running trucks off-road and trailriding since the 1990's. I've personally owned multiple vehicles with LSD and lockers in the front axle for 20+ years.
I do think a selectable locker is a good choice for the front regardless of any of the above questions. An LSD front can cause some slightly funky handling in some situations, such as when running 4wd at higher speeds on snowy roads.
You are correct. You can in fact run an LSD or locked diff because of the CAD. I run fully locked front diff in my 1995 wrangler. The right front tire will spin the drive shave in 2wd which should be disconnected from the transfer case. In the case of 231 transfer case in the wrangler, it locks both front and rear drive shafts in neutral. Have to remove the front drive shaft to flat tow or the front right wheel will not move independently.

I do believe a selectable locker is the way to go. In tighter locations, it can be a bear to turn. Nice to be able to shut it off. And boy do they make a big difference off road!

22hemi13

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 2500 4x4
Engine
Trutrak makes a lsd. I run an arb locker in my front. No issues