Is Upgrading To Factory Navigation Worth It?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mohican69

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar
I keep getting emails from Uconnect offering discounts to add factory navigation to my RA3 radio. I've never wanted until now. I recently changed jobs and I'm driving around in unfamiliar territory so it would be nice to have. For anyone who has it or gotten it, is it worth the price? I know I can still use my phone but having voice directions coming through the speakers would be nice and the larger display wouldn't hurt. I've read some posts on here about complaints about its accuracy. Anyone experienced some bad outcomes? I'm not a fan of Uconnect in general. I think they charge too much and don't offer anything I'd use anyway outside of navigation. It would be nice if you could upgrade these awful headunits to Android Auto. I know about swapping in a new one but I'm not sure how much longer I will own my 2014 so I'm not looking to go that route. Appreciate any input.

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I guess I'm the only one who likes it. Bit harder to enter in where you're going than most and I usually verify against google or mapquest if I'm going on a long trip. Pretty spot on in established areas like major cities. I like the hands free and directions ahead of time on the instrument cluster and not needing cel service like on my phone.

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The short answer is HELL no! Map upgrades are 150.00 and my Nav never was reliable from new. You are better off to buy a Garmin or Tom Tom with free map upgrades. You can use those in any vehicle.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^ DITTO !!!!! ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The short answer is HELL no! Map upgrades are 150.00 and my Nav never was reliable from new. You are better off to buy a Garmin or Tom Tom with free map upgrades. You can use those in any vehicle.
I have my Phone with Apple Car Play so displayed. I also carry an extra older Garmin when I go on a trip, just in case, and I update the Garmin every 3 months, again just in case.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
buy a 5" Garmin with free lifetime maps & traffic

If you buy a truckers GPS, it will not put you on the real small roads & it will route you around cities that you don't want to go through

i believe you can speak to some units
some units you have to program the address at the start of the trip & it will give you vocal directions

Whichever GPS that you get, you will want to learn how to enter Way Points

Each day that i am going some place that i am unfamiliar with, i use my laptop to locate the destination & how to get there, if i am at home i print it out & take it with me.

The Ram navigation does not give you road suffix choices either

If someone calls you to come get them & they tell tell you that they are on Madison in a town that you don't know very well.
The Ram nav will not ask you if it is East, North Madison or Madison Circle or Place, Street or whatever

CanRebel

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
I think you would be better to buy small tablet. you could buy very cheap Chinese android tablet.
Mount it. either use wifi from your phone, or get one with cell.
Google maps and voice. you would have way better system.

my personal view. garmin and other ones, are overpriced crap like the factory one.

Bigger Truck version. Tablet is 10.1 Samsung(not cheap one though)
Mount is from ProClipUSA (they make mounts for cars/trucks/rigs)
Cable which isn't connected yet. plugs directly into fuse panel, and/or power connector

Has custom google map for Big Trucks. Also has Bluetooth front camera, which you can't see in the picture.

1633498214557.png

Last edited:

Graygoose

Indecisive Car Owner
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Convert, for now.
Engine
small
No.....your phone is always updated for free.

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
My 2020 Grande Cherokee, the GPS fried itself. Had to get new radio, under warranty. Two month wait for the replacement part. If not on warranty, bill would have been ballpark 1500. I have it on the Cherokee and Pickup as the came that way. Not sure I would pay the cost to fix them if they broke off warranty. The Nav is okay but not spectacular.

Wallyb4

Retired EWC(SW/AW) 1983-2003
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
This is my second veh with factory Nav. I love it. I used Garmin before I had my 2012 and I think the Nav in the veh is better. I guess to each their own. Too bad you cant try before you buy.

Plankton

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I grabbed a rental (2021 Nissan Mirano) on a long trip a few months back and used Android Auto and Waze and it's so much better than the factory Nav in my Ram. You get real time traffic and LEO info too, plus it gives your copilot something to do as they become part of the Waze collective. lol Really though, I'd get an upgraded radio with Android Auto/Apple Car Play before spending the $$ on purchasing the factory Nav stuff. It's also easier to update that way because it's done on the app end automagically.

Moose2

Military
Reaction score
I never opt for factory nav because phones are always updated for free and stay current. That said, my new ram came with it, but I will not renew when the trial is over.

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
I never opt for factory nav because phones are always updated for free and stay current. That said, my new ram came with it, but I will not renew when the trial is over.
Just to be clear, the new ones update automatically too. Once you buy it there are no renewal charges.