Jack stands

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ataris Better

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
What size jack stands is everyone going with? I see comments for 6ton and 3 ton. I have a 2019 1500 classic 5.7L.
Otherwise, brand recommendation? Safest is my biggest concern, like 2 pin or whatever is everyones opinion.

Stavinksi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I used to use ramps and two 3 ton jack stands as backup in case of crushed ramp somehow. Had a lift, sold it with the house a few years back. The lift was more comfortable for sure, but to me more scary than ramps and stability of it sitting on its suspension on the ground. I did do my ‘17 1500 with nothing more than a few 2x10’s laying on the ground to raise it a couple inches. Doesn’t take much to get under a 1500. If you need wheels off that’s a whole new animal and mine is going to the shop for that these days.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
If you listen to some of the people on this forum anything less than 50 Ton jack stands are completely unsafe for a 1500 ...
..which weighs about 6K lbs or less
A set of 3 Ton jack stands are plenty, considering 4 of them is good for 12000 lbs plus keep in mind they have a minimum safety factor of 2 to 1

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Usually 6 ton stands are taller then 3 ton stands,so it doesn't hurt to have a set of each,so you're not limited to what you can do under the truck,ie if you want to pull the transmission,you'll want the height the 6 ton stands give,so you can get the transmission out from under the truck.

gofishn

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 5th Gen, Big Horn, 4X4, Crew Cab, 6'4" Box
Engine
hemi 5.7L, 345 cu in
Agree, with Wild One, set of 6 tons, for the height, more than anything else.
then couple of 3 tons, for 'Oh carp, I need a couple more', shorter ones.

Brand?
Mine a dark Gray. too beat up to read the brand and too darn old, to remember what they were.
Both me and when I bought them, are too darn old. so pick which one I was talking, when I said it being too Old.

Nowadays, I use the lift at the dealership and their mechanics, under warranty, otherwise, its my Son or Son-in-law and I sit and point, guide and complain while they do it.

They appreciate it, I can tell they do,.

dburpeau

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Extra caution must be considered when using jack stands. Avoid those you picked up in garage sales and know that some manufacturers have issued a recall on their stands. Your life depends on the integrity of the jack stands so choose those with sufficient ability to support the load. Never, but never rely on your jack alone or even ramps to support the vehicle. Take no chances!

Attachments

• unsafe truck lift.jpg
    unsafe truck lift.jpg
    33.3 KB · Views: 22

Jim113

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Longhorn
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I use 16,000 lb ramps and two 3-ton stands under the front ... I also ensure the emergency brake is on and I place blocks behind the rear wheels ... I also have the air suspension and I raise the truck to its highest level before driving onto the ramps, which gives me lots of room to maneuver underneath ... I just have to be careful getting out after driving onto the ramps ... Even with sideboards, it's a long way to the ground ... LOL

TotallyHucked

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Sport CCLWB
Engine
I've always bought 3 ton stands, that will pretty much hold anything you'll encounter. The last set I bought my dad years ago have pins that slide all the way through, which basically becomes a double lock. Ever since that set, I try to find the same design when buying new ones or suggesting them to friends. Just nice to have for peace of mind

TomB 1269

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Classic
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Just be careful of whatever you evetually get if using on pavement in warm weather as they can sink in to it, particularly if the driveway is fairly new. Some plywood under them is a goo idea.
As for size, you will find that your truck will be at max high or above on most 3 tons. I have some 6 tons and I like the fact I only need to rasie the pad a notch or 2 as they feel more stable then 3 tons on the top notch and the tend to have a much wider base as well.

Bamnq6

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I've got 3 and 6 ton stands from Northern Tool (Strongway). The price was right and the quality is good enought-

Shawn Burns

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Rebel
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have a bunch of the three ton stands, but I've realized that I need a set of the 6 ton stands for the extra height to do transmission fluid changes.

Dusty

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I have 2 6ton and 4 3ton stands. Also a set of homemade ramps out of graduated 2x10’s for oil changes.
Someone else thinks like me?

Since scooting my over exuberant frame under the truck to change oil was becoming uncomfortable, and jack stands were leaving gouges in my driveway, I decided to do the same exact thing: two 2x10s screwed together is enough to raise the front-end and maneuver under the truck.

Regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33-gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build Date: 3 June 2018. Now at 87418 miles.

ThunderMug95

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Someone else thinks like me?

Since scooting my over exuberant frame under the truck to change oil was becoming uncomfortable, and jack stands were leaving gouges in my driveway, I decided to do the same exact thing: two 2x10s screwed together is enough to raise the front-end and maneuver under the truck.

Regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33-gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build Date: 3 June 2018. Now at 87418 miles.
They work excellent. Nothing short of a M1 Abrams is collapsing these!
1681508555717.jpeg

Last edited:

Farmer Fran

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited Loaded - Sold
If you listen to some of the people on this forum anything less than 50 Ton jack stands are completely unsafe for a 1500 ...
..which weighs about 6K lbs or less
A set of 3 Ton jack stands are plenty, considering 4 of them is good for 12000 lbs plus keep in mind they have a minimum safety factor of 2 to 1
I put jack stands under my jack stands, in case they fail.