Jeep Build

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Stangshcky12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
Craiglist is awesome for building jeeps!
My brother lifted his Cherokee 3" and put 33s and American racing wheels on it for less then $500

OP
OP
schroederMP

schroederMP

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
I've been hunting CL for a couple days now lol

TRCM

USN, Retired
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 1500 Laramie CC 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I didn't use CL, I bought both of these from a friend.

He had mentioned several years back that a neighbor of his had a nice 2001 Cherokee for sale and he wanted like 6k for it. I jokingly told him he should get it and sell me his 88. I had been looking for something small for hunting, and a used 4 wheeler was out of the question price wise. He laughed at the time.

A week later, he asked me what I'd give him for it. He came by and I took it on a test drive, and paid what he was asking, $950. He got the 2001, but sadly wrecked it about 3 months later, and evetntually ended up with the 96 I now have.

When he decided it was time for yet another change, he again asked me if I was interested in the 96. I asked him how much, and he said $1000, I said sold without even as much as a test drive. (blue book was well over 4k at the time).

Both have been trouble free, and have allowed me to use my more expensive fullsize truck for towing duties only, which means a ton less miles on them.

The 88 is getting long in the tooth and the trans is starting to really show it's age, so I have a complete spare engine/trans combo with about 75% fewer miles on them, but still from an 88 (due to the renix system, not feeling like changing all that stuff over, and they were only $100) from a buddy who was scrapping his 88 cherokee.

You can find parts pretty cheap for them, and CL is a good place, but it is amazing how many people on CL don't know the differenece between a cherokee and a grand cherokee, or a v6 & an inline 6.

I did find a rare cherokee on there, an 88 with the AW4 trans, 242 tcase, 4 cyl and 4.56 factory gearing. I went and test drove it, but passed cuz the guy wanted too much money for it IMHO. I wanted it for the axles & trans, but the trans was questionable, since the shifter was broken, there was no way to know if the issues it had (lousy shifting, even manually with the trans pcm disconnected) were in the trans. or due to the shifter, and he wanted $1800 for it. I told him I could regear mine for easily less than 1/2 that, but he wouldn't budge.

txbass06

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
I've been looking for a Cherokee to build into a trail rig for a few months now. Seems like all the ones that pop up for sale are 2wd or too nice to tear into

rambob

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
318 5.2l
great platform to build on.

the dana30 is not a bad axle. if its a HP30 you should be fine. maybe upgrade the shafts when they break. dana 44 swap would be bulletproof

the rear 35 will break an axle shaft. its a matter of time. a little longer with 33" tires and an easy throttle. (even one car too far show, they broke theirs) once you go to 35s, and you will, you are on borrowed time.

ford explorer 8.8 axle is a normal swap for these. roughly the same width as jeep. 96 or later has 31 spline and disc brakes. might find a 4:10 ratio with lsd
you can get a built one from ecgs for around $1k

good luck.

OP
OP
schroederMP

schroederMP

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
I've heard about the Explored axels working in the rear...hoping this 35 gets my by on this first trip.

Once it breaks that when I'll prob 4 link the rear end... my neighbor has a bunch of axels laying around, I'm sure I can find one to work.

TRCM

USN, Retired
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 1500 Laramie CC 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I've heard about the Explored axels working in the rear...hoping this 35 gets my by on this first trip.

Once it breaks that when I'll prob 4 link the rear end... my neighbor has a bunch of axels laying around, I'm sure I can find one to work.

As long as you don't go crazy, you'll be fine. Just don't try to power up any rocks if you have any doubt.

I have a locker in the 35 w/31's (88 cherokee), and it works just fine. Been driving it that way for over 5 yrs with no problems, and 2 of those years it was a DD.

Explorer axles work, since they are the same 8.8 as the previous post mentioned, but they normally come with disc brakes, whereas the ranger 8.8 don't (unless it was a sport-trac).

Last edited:
OP
OP
schroederMP

schroederMP

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
I don't plan on doing anything crazy just yet...its gonna take awhile for m t get used to the fact of "if I break it....oh well" I've always been used to wheeling my DD. Lol

Once my suspension is done tho...watch out!

rambob

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
318 5.2l
Explorer axle is 31-spline axle shaft. ranger is 28-spline.
Ranger cap. 2750lbs, Explorer 3200lbs.
explorer axles are larger in diameter at the outer bearing journal & the larger diameter bearings used.
I have also heard they are narrower.

OP, when it starts bouncing, get off the gas.
I have seen them break shafts pulling onto the hwy while breaking one wheel's traction on a gravel drive, with large tires.

people will literally give away dana35s when they upgrade. I had an extra complete axle and a few shafts when I had my tj with a d35.

OP
OP
schroederMP

schroederMP

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
Damn...they are that bad? I may be swapping before I originally wanted to.

I guess the sooner I break it the sooner I upgrade.

What are your guys opinion on the rear suspension. Should I go with a coil, or go with those shocks that replace coils (I can't think of the name). Hard core wheelers use them. I'm thinking coils will be cheaper

rambob

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
318 5.2l
dont get me wrong, people have run them all day with 33s.
I guess I just have a bad taste from experience. but stuff breaks all the time. ujoints, shafts, shock mounts. its not a huge deal, just be prepared with parts so you can get it home.

honestly if you are on a budget, the leaf rear imo will be fine. xjs are one of the best prepared, near factory, offroad suv. imo. if you have the budget for airshocks and plans for extra long travel, then yea, leaf springs will limit travel. coils and 4link would be great at a better price.

check out jeepforum

OP
OP
schroederMP

schroederMP

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
Good info man...thanks. The leafs are going to do for now. Gonna work up something to get more lift using the factory leafs for now. I want to avoid shackels and blocks. So I think I can drop can drop the leaf spring mounts for more lift. The front wont be bad, just gonna have to figure out what longer coils I want to go with.

TRCM

USN, Retired
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 1500 Laramie CC 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Good info man...thanks. The leafs are going to do for now. Gonna work up something to get more lift using the factory leafs for now. I want to avoid shackels and blocks. So I think I can drop can drop the leaf spring mounts for more lift. The front wont be bad, just gonna have to figure out what longer coils I want to go with.

There are kits out there to drop the rear spring mounting point that give up to 1.5" of lift, and give a much better ride because you can change the shackle angle at the rear.

OP
OP
schroederMP

schroederMP

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
I'm gonna do everything I can to build everything...but ill look into the kit man. Thanks!

Got an extra pair of seats with it...maybe I can mount them backwards up against the cab. For extra riders. Of course after I get the role bar on.

Stangshcky12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
Pre 95 explorer 8.8s (might have been 96) have drum, post 95 have disc
I had a 96 with a blown motor my dad scrapped while I was at school before I could part it out :-/
They can go for a good penny, they're used in quite a few applications

TRCM

USN, Retired
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 1500 Laramie CC 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I'm gonna do everything I can to build everything...but ill look into the kit man. Thanks!

Got an extra pair of seats with it...maybe I can mount them backwards up against the cab. For extra riders. Of course after I get the role bar on.

The kit is pretty cheap....not sure you could make it any cheaper

Jeep XJ Shackle Relocation Kit

H. D. OFFROAD ENGINEERING LLC — XJ BOLT ON CHEROKEE SHACKLE RELOCATION KIT

Now these are for a cherokee, so I am not sure if they will be a direct bolt on, but can at least give you some ideas.

I think the MJ platform has a different spring location then the cherokees.

rambob

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
318 5.2l
you could do soa (spring over axle) and get about 4" of lift.
retain your leaf springs. little bit of welding

or make a ******* pack for 2-3 inches. basically an addaleaf inserting a s-10 leaf in your leaf pack. just take your pack apart, find a s-10, redrill the center hole, reassemble. (pretty sure a s-10 will work. might need to verify. I know it will for yjs.)

also xj front lifts wil fit your mj

Stangshcky12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
I think the MJ platform has a different spring location then the cherokees.

I believe your right since Cherokee are unibody and Comanche have a real frame in the rear
The front ends are the same

+2 on sprung over if your looking for inexpensive (it'll get you 4"-5.5" I believe)

ramhunter9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
P-Star Jeep Wrangler
Dang ... that clean and cheap .. Bad ass man ^^