Joining the HD Family!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Drummin4jc

WWG1WGA!
Reaction score
Ram Year
2024 Ram 2500 CC
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Well, it looks like I will finally be joining the HD family! I've been a member on here since 2014 when I bought my used 2012 Ram 1500. I put a lot of time into that truck but the time came where I needed an HD. I sold my 1500 to a local buyer and have ordered my new 2024 Ram 2500 Big Horn! I ordered a Patriot Blue Night Edition and am beyond excited to get behind the wheel!

Adam

OP
OP
Drummin4jc

Drummin4jc

WWG1WGA!
Reaction score
Ram Year
2024 Ram 2500 CC
Engine
6.4 Hemi
congrats! How long a wait will you have?
So, the dealer I ordered the truck through tells me 6 months. The two other dealers I was talking to about ordering told me 3-4 months. So, I’d say around March/April. Praying the interest rates fall a bit by then and they have even more incentives to take advantage of. We shall see!

Adam

heefageLA

Reaction score
Ram Year
05, 14, 17, 20, 23
So, the dealer I ordered the truck through tells me 6 months. The two other dealers I was talking to about ordering told me 3-4 months. So, I’d say around March/April. Praying the interest rates fall a bit by then and they have even more incentives to take advantage of. We shall see!

Adam

Im right there with you. I just traded in my '20 1500 for my first 2500 w/ a 6.4L and 4.10 gears. I looked for awhile and tried for several Cummins engines, but I couldnt get them down low enough. Also, I was leery of the all the exhaust after-treatment nonsense.
Im spoiled with the Laramie and didnt want to step down in trim. This 2500 has 38k miles so she isnt brand new.
Ill be counting the days until I can refinance. Ive never missed a note in my life. I feel violated! Swindled! Bam-Boozled!

25001.jpeg

OP
OP
Drummin4jc

Drummin4jc

WWG1WGA!
Reaction score
Ram Year
2024 Ram 2500 CC
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Im right there with you. I just traded in my '20 1500 for my first 2500 w/ a 6.4L and 4.10 gears. I looked for awhile and tried for several Cummins engines, but I couldnt get them down low enough. Also, I was leery of the all the exhaust after-treatment nonsense.
Im spoiled with the Laramie and didnt want to step down in trim. This 2500 has 38k miles so she isnt brand new.
Ill be counting the days until I can refinance. Ive never missed a note in my life. I feel violated! Swindled! Bam-Boozled!

View attachment 532759
Congratulations on your 2500! Looks nice! I hear you on how you feel… just depends on what happens. Enjoy it!! Looks great!

Adam

OP
OP
Drummin4jc

Drummin4jc

WWG1WGA!
Reaction score
Ram Year
2024 Ram 2500 CC
Engine
6.4 Hemi
What are some accessories that you HD owners have purchased? I have seat covers ordered and want to get a console cover as well as vent shades. Let me know what you guys think I could use! :)

Adam

Curmudgeon

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 1500 Laramie 4x4 QC, True Blue Pearl
Engine
5.7L Hemi

View attachment 532759

Now you need to update your truck profile!

heefageLA

Reaction score
Ram Year
05, 14, 17, 20, 23

Aint that the truth! I got a picture of a '17, a signature of a '20, and posting pics of a '22... LMAO
I can tell stories of my '08 and '12... They feeling forgotten.

This is insignificant, but im pretty pumped the body line on the 2500s go straight back like the 4th gens. Im already deciding how wide I want the pin stripe like in my profile pic.

heefageLA

Reaction score
Ram Year
05, 14, 17, 20, 23
What are some accessories that you HD owners have purchased? I have seat covers ordered and want to get a console cover as well as vent shades. Let me know what you guys think I could use! :)

Adam

An oil catch can, 190 thermostat and grill shudder removal are my first purchases, since its a gas engine. Probably Redline 5w-30 or 40 with RP 20-820 for purchase #2.
Im debating on replaceing the muffler... My wife couldnt stand my Borla Pros XS on my '17. It had a drone right at cruising speed.

OP
OP
Drummin4jc

Drummin4jc

WWG1WGA!
Reaction score
Ram Year
2024 Ram 2500 CC
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I updated my info that shows up in posts (Ram Year, Engine and Picture). I'll have to make sure I get the rest done! :D

An oil catch can, 190 thermostat and grill shudder removal are my first purchases, since its a gas engine. Probably Redline 5w-30 or 40 with RP 20-820 for purchase #2.
Im debating on replaceing the muffler... My wife couldnt stand my Borla Pros XS on my '17. It had a drone right at cruising speed.
Thanks for this. So, I'll have to do some research, but what do an oil catch can, 190 thermostat and grill shudder removal do for the truck? Forgive me for not knowing, but you don't know what you don't know in life.

I want to put an exhaust on it for sure, but it probably won't be something that I do right away. I ordered the truck with the Bed Utility Group and Side Steps, so I won't have to do anything like that. I'm probably going to add some light bars as I made sure I got the I/P Mounted Aux Switches.

Adam

heefageLA

Reaction score
Ram Year
05, 14, 17, 20, 23
I updated my info that shows up in posts (Ram Year, Engine and Picture). I'll have to make sure I get the rest done! :D

Thanks for this. So, I'll have to do some research, but what do an oil catch can, 190 thermostat and grill shudder removal do for the truck? Forgive me for not knowing, but you don't know what you don't know in life.

I want to put an exhaust on it for sure, but it probably won't be something that I do right away. I ordered the truck with the Bed Utility Group and Side Steps, so I won't have to do anything like that. I'm probably going to add some light bars as I made sure I got the I/P Mounted Aux Switches.

Adam

You have a Positive Crankcase Vent on the backside of your valve cover that recirculates an oil, fuel, vapor mixture back into your clean air intake. Over time that mixture can build up sludge in your intake. Its called Blow-By. Any engine with a supercharger has to have a catch can because its stuffing so much air into the combustion chamber causing alot more blow-by.
On a naturally aspirated engine its alot less blow-by. I normally dump maybe a shot glass full every oil change. I like the idea of my truck breathing the cleanest air possible.

The 190 thermostat serves several purposes since the coolant, oil, and trans are somewhat tied together, cooling wise. Ive noticed that the 205? factory thermostat keeps the coolant at around 220*, the oil around 215*, and the trans around 190*. When using a 190* thermostat I can drop all those temps by about 20 degrees. My coolant stays around 195, oil about 200, trans around 170.

Removing the grill shudders also helps keeping everything cooler. Being in Louisiana, we have pretty hot summers, and I like as much air flow as possible in the engine bay.

There are alot of different opinions on the 3 mods listed above. The catch can is a no brainer, the last two contain a little more controversy. Ive done these mods on my last two 5.7Ls with no trouble, so it makes sense to do it to the 6.4L.

OP
OP
Drummin4jc

Drummin4jc

WWG1WGA!
Reaction score
Ram Year
2024 Ram 2500 CC
Engine
6.4 Hemi
You have a Positive Crankcase Vent on the backside of your valve cover that recirculates an oil, fuel, vapor mixture back into your clean air intake. Over time that mixture can build up sludge in your intake. Its called Blow-By. Any engine with a supercharger has to have a catch can because its stuffing so much air into the combustion chamber causing alot more blow-by.
On a naturally aspirated engine its alot less blow-by. I normally dump maybe a shot glass full every oil change. I like the idea of my truck breathing the cleanest air possible.

The 190 thermostat serves several purposes since the coolant, oil, and trans are somewhat tied together, cooling wise. Ive noticed that the 205? factory thermostat keeps the coolant at around 220*, the oil around 215*, and the trans around 190*. When using a 190* thermostat I can drop all those temps by about 20 degrees. My coolant stays around 195, oil about 200, trans around 170.

Removing the grill shudders also helps keeping everything cooler. Being in Louisiana, we have pretty hot summers, and I like as much air flow as possible in the engine bay.

There are alot of different opinions on the 3 mods listed above. The catch can is a no brainer, the last two contain a little more controversy. Ive done these mods on my last two 5.7Ls with no trouble, so it makes sense to do it to the 6.4L.
Thank you for taking the time to explain all of that. I appreciate it!

Adam

Bill Davis

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cumins 6.7L
The best accessory that I purchased was a Leer bed cover. Purchased from strainer.

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
6.4L HEMI

Are you sure this is the case with a 6.4L Hemi truck engine? My 2017 is buried under the intake manifold, most guys don't rig up a custom PCV router for it.

Scottly

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HO 6.7 Cummins
Level the front with carli springs/Fox shocks, adjustable track bar....Then 35's and some nice wheels...And as dumb as this may sound, a WeatherTech phone holder for the cupholder area. That step for the corner of the bumper to get in the bed is a nice add, also

heefageLA

Reaction score
Ram Year
05, 14, 17, 20, 23
Are you sure this is the case with a 6.4L Hemi truck engine? My 2017 is buried under the intake manifold, most guys don't rig up a custom PCV router for it.

Honestly, im not sure. This will be my first 6.4L and im assuming its built just like the 5.7L.
I really should have read before spouting off. Lol

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
6.4L HEMI
Honestly, im not sure. This will be my first 6.4L and im assuming its built just like the 5.7L.
I really should have read before spouting off. Lol

It's not. Totally different. Been through this already with the suppliers on this.forum.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lowrider357