Oil Catch Can 6.4L

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Vman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L
I read a lot of posts on here and other places on the web about “blow back” on the 5.7L. I recently traded my 1500 w the 5.7L in for a 2500 with the 6.4L. Is a catch can still something I should consider in the 6.4, thoughts? If so, any concerns about voiding the manufacturer’s warranty? Thanks!

WY.Ram

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L Hemi
The 6.4L truck engine is a real stinker to add a catch can, especially if the warranty is a concern. The reason is the pcv system is not routed outside the intake manifold (like nearly every other engine in the history of engine building). The closest the vapor path gets to being easily accessible is the pcv valve itself.

The valve is all of about 3.5" long with a dia of .5". Not exactly a lot of room to manipulate the vapor path to a catch can. Add to that the regulating of flow and it becomes a challenge to reroute.

With that said there are some existing possibilities: forum member @crazykid1994 did an intake swap 5.7 to 6.4 and took no sheet from anyone or anything and rerouted the vapor path outside the intake manifold, passing through a catch-can. He has a build thread for his rig with details and pics included. This does require a couple new holes in the intake manifold. But probably the fastest path to a catch can at the moment.

After some discussion with crazykid, and spending a good portion of my life over the last 6 months, I have actually prototyped a new pcv valve for my truck that replaces the OE valve and gives access to the vapor path. The new valves uses the OE check valve and o-rings which slip right off the OE and and onto the new valve. It requires no further modification.

This is basically a pcv valve with two ports. To use it, one merely has to twist the OE Valve out, remove the two o-rings and the check valve, apply these items to the new pcv valve and twist it back in. Hook the two hoses up to the ports, mount the catch can and literally done.

If the truck needs to go for service, the new valve comes out and the OE valve back in, if it's a concern.

It will be smooth as soon as I get all the stupid sheet worked out of the prototype. It's a story in itself and I won't beat it up here. I have run a couple thousand miles successfully separating oil and air in the catch can.

I have to make a change to the clocking position of the two stops on the valve lid with the locking gear on the valve column, and then it would be ready for a couple people try it if they want. Or wait till I run a couple more thousand miles. But my latest valve has been working, even with the stops improperly located. So I can guarantee it to work if your intake is the same as my 2016.

There maybe others who are working a bypass system as well. I have heard but not seen or know any other details. Maybe a Facebook fella and maybe a different part.

I had my engine apart on a top end rebuild recently and it was nasty with the build up from pcv system. I won't run without a catch-can if I can help it.

A couple of the protos shown:

Attachments

• 20210824_112630.jpg
    20210824_112630.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 57
  • 20210807_035224.jpg
    20210807_035224.jpg
    94.6 KB · Views: 57
OP
OP
Vman

Vman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L
Thanks for the detailed write up, keep us posted on your prototype valve. Was this built using a 3d printer?

WY.Ram

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L Hemi
Yes those are 3d printed parts. I am very new to the 3d printer world, this actually my first 3d printed part, adding to most of the failed attempts. The pcv valve is actually subject to a much harsher environment then I gave initial credit and I took a life lesson right in teeth about material selection. It was a joy, someday when I'm feeling overly cocky (Hopefully never) and need a good dose of public humility I'll post a couple pics of what high vacuum and hot plastic can create.

Do you do 3d printing?

OP
OP
Vman

Vman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L
No sir, but I am fascinated by the technology. Seems like we’ll all be capable of printing our own parts before too long, granted that part of the OEM advantage goes into the testing and certification process.

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The 6.4L truck engine is a real stinker to add a catch can, especially if the warranty is a concern. The reason is the pcv system is not routed outside the intake manifold (like nearly every other engine in the history of engine building). The closest the vapor path gets to being easily accessible is the pcv valve itself.

The valve is all of about 3.5" long with a dia of .5". Not exactly a lot of room to manipulate the vapor path to a catch can. Add to that the regulating of flow and it becomes a challenge to reroute.

With that said there are some existing possibilities: forum member @crazykid1994 did an intake swap 5.7 to 6.4 and took no sheet from anyone or anything and rerouted the vapor path outside the intake manifold, passing through a catch-can. He has a build thread for his rig with details and pics included. This does require a couple new holes in the intake manifold. But probably the fastest path to a catch can at the moment.

After some discussion with crazykid, and spending a good portion of my life over the last 6 months, I have actually prototyped a new pcv valve for my truck that replaces the OE valve and gives access to the vapor path. The new valves uses the OE check valve and o-rings which slip right off the OE and and onto the new valve. It requires no further modification.

This is basically a pcv valve with two ports. To use it, one merely has to twist the OE Valve out, remove the two o-rings and the check valve, apply these items to the new pcv valve and twist it back in. Hook the two hoses up to the ports, mount the catch can and literally done.

If the truck needs to go for service, the new valve comes out and the OE valve back in, if it's a concern.

It will be smooth as soon as I get all the stupid sheet worked out of the prototype. It's a story in itself and I won't beat it up here. I have run a couple thousand miles successfully separating oil and air in the catch can.

I have to make a change to the clocking position of the two stops on the valve lid with the locking gear on the valve column, and then it would be ready for a couple people try it if they want. Or wait till I run a couple more thousand miles. But my latest valve has been working, even with the stops improperly located. So I can guarantee it to work if your intake is the same as my 2016.

There maybe others who are working a bypass system as well. I have heard but not seen or know any other details. Maybe a Facebook fella and maybe a different part.

I had my engine apart on a top end rebuild recently and it was nasty with the build up from pcv system. I won't run without a catch-can if I can help it.

That 3d print looks freaking awesome. Heck yea

WY.Ram

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L Hemi
That 3d print looks freaking awesome. Heck yea
Thanks man, your help was instrumental in a working bypass, this would not have happened without your lead and your input! Definitely not correctly and probably not even incorrectly. Lol

It's been a challenge although the near final piece is uncomplicated, it's been anything but that.

The results speak volumes and are well worth the effort.

Here's what it's removing and how it's installed. The 'catch' pictured was from 144 mile drive, horrible traffic, a decent load for sure but the amount of nasty is still kind of alarming.

I'm going to do an original post also. Show the info to 6.4 intake owners.

Props for the lead dude, your know, and the 3D print idea!

Attachments

• 20211124_013504.jpg
    20211124_013504.jpg
    80.6 KB · Views: 60
  • 20211124_002352.jpg
    20211124_002352.jpg
    109.4 KB · Views: 60
  • PSX_96(9).jpg
    PSX_96(9).jpg
    133.2 KB · Views: 58
  • PSX_95(8).jpg
    PSX_95(8).jpg
    162.7 KB · Views: 60

Steve S King

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4

So, how can I get one of these for my 2017 2300 6.4?

DILLIGAF

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Looking good :happy107:

Drilling holes, is way more fun tho ! :driver:

DRIBilly

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thanks man, your help was instrumental in a working bypass, this would not have happened without your lead and your input! Definitely not correctly and probably not even incorrectly. Lol

It's been a challenge although the near final piece is uncomplicated, it's been anything but that.

The results speak volumes and are well worth the effort.

Here's what it's removing and how it's installed. The 'catch' pictured was from 144 mile drive, horrible traffic, a decent load for sure but the amount of nasty is still kind of alarming.

I'm going to do an original post also. Show the info to 6.4 intake owners.

Props for the lead dude, your know, and the 3D print idea!
Great write up!! I have a question? Where can I find a set up like this one or some instructions on how to build one? Thanks!!

Rayzaa

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I think the 3D printer thing is great. Sounds expensive to own one but it's cool.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
2023RamWarlock