Just got a 2002 1500 Ram. What maintenance items or other things should I be aware of?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JonnyLawless

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hi all. We were just gifted a Ram 1500 crew cab with a 5.9 engine in it. It's in great cosmetic shape, and only has about 82k miles on it. We're really excited about it. Only one previous owner, and they kept service records on everything. So far it seems to drive really well.

My question is at this age and mileage, what are some things I can make sure to do so that the truck lasts us a long time. Timing chain? Anything like that?

Thanks for the help in advance!

Karlsweg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I believe the intake gaskets become a problem and leak over time. I would change the differential (s) fluid (s) (front and rear if 4x4) . Throw some new plugs in it. Check the air filter. Look over and replace any questionable vacuum hoses.

17CrewCab1500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I agree with the above. Use STOCK plugs. Don't use platinum's or such, the heat range of those plugs make the engine run hotter and can hurt power/mpg.
Doing all the fluids would be something I'd be doing.

Shoveltuski

Reaction score
Ram Year
2002 Ram 1500 4x4 double cab shortbox
Engine
4.7L v8
Hello Johnny Lawless, Nice low miles Ram you have...I have the same year 1500, just more miles (137k) & it’s a 4.7L Qaud cab 4x4 5spd manual. I agree w/ both suggestions mentioned above ^^“all fluids”^^ specifically take a Look through those service records to see if a transmission service had been done recently. Don’t want to miss transmission service when it’s due for a manual, but imo this becomes especially important if it’s an A/T.
The first A/T service could’ve been done already w/ the mileage you mentioned, but wouldn’t hurt to check the transmission dipstick ((check ATF while truck is @ normal operating temp. Check w/ motor running while truck is in Park)) see if the fluid is New (translucent/red) Or needs either a flush or a pan drop, drain/fill @ the very least. I say that b/c this will leave dirty fluid in your torque converter & trans cooler lines, but it is FAR better than none at all! Don’t forget to install a fresh transmission filter. The 545RFE A/T will give you longevity IF ATF & filter changes are performed w/ Mopar recommended Fluids on time

Marley

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
When buying a used vehicle, I always spend a day changing all fluids but you have records to review which may alleviate some maintenance.

Front and rear diffs
Transfer case
Transmission fluid and both filters-545RFE.
Radiator
Engine oil
Plugs
Air filter

Logan Klein

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 Magnum
Hi all. We were just gifted a Ram 1500 crew cab with a 5.9 engine in it. It's in great cosmetic shape, and only has about 82k miles on it. We're really excited about it. Only one previous owner, and they kept service records on everything. So far it seems to drive really well.

My question is at this age and mileage, what are some things I can make sure to do so that the truck lasts us a long time. Timing chain? Anything like that?

Thanks for the help in advance!
The 360 is a solid engine. Gaskets go here and there but the engine tend to hold up well over long periods of time and lots of miles. Vacuum leaks are common from intake gaskets/misc. hoses near the intake. Essential fluids should be checked/replaced if necessary like other posters said. The main weak point of the truck, just like any other Dodge Ram is the automatic transmission if equipped. Rubber hoses deteriorate, inspect the engine bay thoroughly and take note of any cracking, visibly leaking, or rotting hoses, and replace them. Remove the serpentine belt, check accessory drive pulleys for play, and inspect water pump gasket area for leaks. The water pump is a common failure on that engine also.

Overall it seems like you got a gem. Take care of it and it'll take care of you.

JohnnyMac

There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500 Laramie
Engine
3.0 EcoBurner
Welcome to the forum. I had a 2000 1500 Sport 4x4 with the 5.9. The main issue with that engine is the plenum gasket. If you google it, you'll find all you need to know. Symptoms are low power, horrid mpgs and oil in the throttle body. I believe you can drop a magnet down the throttle body and if it sticks that means it has been changed (or hasn't been changed?...) My memory deceives me.... Like I said, google it. It's a good bit of info to have in your back pocket.

As others have said, the transmission isn't the most robust and known for taking a dump after about 60k miles (or going forever..), so definitely make sure the fluid is fresh.

Also like others have said, the vacuum system gets cracked hoses. Where I had my problem was it not going in and out of 4wd. A vacuum hose broke which caused that problem. Easy fix, but difficult finding it.

I never got over 12.3 mpgs in that beast (and that was only once). Generally it hovered around 10. I did have a lift and 33" tires so I'm sure that didn't help.

Good Luck!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
radikio