Just put some husky mud flaps on my 2019 classic

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PoMansRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Bought the set of 4 for $45.66 all in off amazon as a return or "open box" and just got them installed. Does anyone else turn into a bull in a china shop the second you have to work with tiny strips of 3M clear film? I certainly do. Especially the way Husky sort of perforates or pre-cuts the 3M tape for the classics. It was difficult for me to tear away to the pre-cut shape and I wound up getting smudges and whatnot inside the tape in the process. Determining how the tape should go on takes some fiddling around too. The paint finish under the small factory black plastic stone guards was already starting to blemish on my 2019 w/ ~36K on the ticker. You have to take the guards off for the husky mud flaps.

They advertise these as being "no-drill", but that's not really true. It is recommended you drill one to 2 holes per flap, through the flap (in a marked spot) and through the plastic wheel well liner on the truck for one additional attachment point. You use a the included screw, washer and spring/nuts in those spots. If you don't do that, the flaps are held in place at two of the OEM screw locations only. I haven't done a 3rd hole in the rears yet because I don't own a 90deg drill and would need to remove the rear wheels for drill clearance.

All in all a simple install. They're very good quality and sturdy. They're ugly but functional. All I need now is one of those boxy universal aluminum caps and I have a legit old man cruiser. I'd take a pic, but the truck is dirty and it's raining..

Nick14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Those are the ones I went with. Very sturdy and you will appreciate the size come winter. They keep the sides clean. I did add a stainless nut & bolt between the flap & liner on each. Nice & sturdy.

OP
OP
PoMansRam

PoMansRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Those are the ones I went with. Very sturdy and you will appreciate the size come winter. They keep the sides clean. I did add a stainless nut & bolt between the flap & liner on each. Nice & sturdy.

My truck had a fair amount of stone dings on the rockers when I bought it at a year old and 15K miles, but I sure wish I would have put mud flaps on it right away to prevent more.

It was also disturbing the amount of dirt and grit that was trapped between the factory plastic stone guards and the painted surfaces. I'm kind of happy to have them removed and those areas protected by these flaps.

Nick14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Something else you may consider doing is remove the fender liners, clean and re-install. That is something I have been doing for the last 30 years or so. I was amazed at how much dirt was packed between the liners and quarter panels on this truck. Nick

OP
OP
PoMansRam

PoMansRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Something else you may consider doing is remove the fender liners, clean and re-install. That is something I have been doing for the last 30 years or so. I was amazed at how much dirt was packed between the liners and quarter panels on this truck. Nick

Yep. I've had the rear fender liners out twice on my 2019. I woolwaxed and fluid filmed it a year ago and just touched it up again last week. I was pleasantly surprised that the woolwax looked like new all up in there after a year.

OP
OP
PoMansRam

PoMansRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Those look sharp, thank for posting the pics! I'm in the same boat, already noticing stone chips... Only had my truck for a few months.
I'd do it as soon as possible. As clean and nice as they look without the flaps, it just does too much damage. The paint isn't near as robust as it used to be.

Bigs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
I'd do it as soon as possible. As clean and nice as they look without the flaps, it just does too much damage. The paint isn't near as robust as it used to be.

Yeah noticed that. I'm also getting a hood deflector. Already have chips there as well. My first FCA so it's new territory for me! :)

DJ18hemi1500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have been looking but haven’t pulled the trigger yet. Thanks for posting the pics!