K&N drop in air filter and my MPG's

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jrod

USAF 1997-2008
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Sport
Engine
I dropped a K&N air filter. I felt very slight improvement in the way of response and HP. Of course it could just be a placebo affect... lol. Anyways, my average MPG dropped by 1 within a day. I was a little concerned by this. Most other people claim to gain 1-3 mpg. A couple of days passed and then I realized what was wrong. It wasn't the truck or a filter problem, it was me...

So, to be clear, this is just an observation. I haven't dyno'd the truck. What I realized yesterday was that I am still hitting the gas pedal as I would have with the old filter, but now I'm driving a little faster. I believe the increased air flow from the K&N may be telling the fuel management system to spit more gas. I tested my theory by maintaining one constant speed, and that's when it hit me. I feel it comes down to muscle memory. Now that I am aware of what's happening; I am having to remind myself I need to feather the pedal less to maintain the same speed. By doing so I've actually gone up from 14.5 to 18 MPG's. Mind you I also have a free flow Carven progressive exhaust. I am still running stock headers.

AJAY

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Same thing happened to me when I installed the S&B. Sounds so good. You'll notice the increase in MPG when using cruise control. I travel about 100 miles round trip to work. I use cruise control and turn up the stereo. The truck breath easier.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Jrod

Jrod

USAF 1997-2008
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Sport
Engine
Have you considered you are getting into the skinny pedal harder?

If I was it wasn't intentional. In short, I found simple muscle memory to be my culprit so far.

OP
OP
Jrod

Jrod

USAF 1997-2008
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Sport
Engine
Its hard not to stomp it 75% to the floor and listen to that thing suck air and the engine roar!

It’s the drop in version for the factory air box. It’s just as quiet as the paper filter. Although I do like to hear my Carven exhaust wake up. I’m not sure how much more efficient the cold air intake kit would be. I’m sure the kit would sound awesome along with the exhaust.

Ryan J

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Laramie limited
Engine
5.7 hemi
It’s the drop in version for the factory air box. It’s just as quiet as the paper filter. Although I do like to hear my Carven exhaust wake up. I’m not sure how much more efficient the cold air intake kit would be. I’m sure the kit would sound awesome along with the exhaust.

I done that on a chevy colorado a few years ago and you could tell the difference. I found mine on craigslist for 75$ all the pieces were there. Alot cheaper than buying a new one. I would love to fo an exhaust upgrade but that can get pricey lol. Well ive got mine raised 2" in the front, bigger tires so my mpg took a dump anyways lol. idk if the efficiency is even noticeable.

RammerHarder

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
For those that like the K&N filters, here`s a factory tour video.
I`m not a fan of add-on`s, but pretty kool how they`re made.

RammerHarder

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So, when you guys install these drop in (K&N type) air filters,
what are you doing about the pre-filter thats installed permanently in the top of the airbox lid on your 2018 RAM trucks (???)
I was just curious, because some people claim that their (K&N drop-in) add-on filters are doing magical things with their mpg`s.
Help me understand how the air flow is improved by installing a K&N drop-in filter without doing anything with the pre-filter in the top side of the OEM air box on your 2018 RAM truck.

OP
OP
Jrod

Jrod

USAF 1997-2008
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Sport
Engine
I done that on a chevy colorado a few years ago and you could tell the difference. I found mine on craigslist for 75$ all the pieces were there. Alot cheaper than buying a new one. I would love to fo an exhaust upgrade but that can get pricey lol. Well ive got mine raised 2" in the front, bigger tires so my mpg took a dump anyways lol. idk if the efficiency is even noticeable.

Nice! I check Craigslist and Facebook Market Place every couple of days in case I stumble across a deal. I got lucky a few years ago and bought a mint extang trifold cover for $250 for my 2014. I transplanted the same cover on my current 2016. There’s also someone selling wheel to wheel CC length RAM step sides with all the hardware for $200. I’d scoop them up if I didn’t have them already lol.

Ryan J

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Laramie limited
Engine
5.7 hemi
Nice! I check Craigslist and Facebook Market Place every couple of days in case I stumble across a deal. I got lucky a few years ago and bought a mint extang trifold cover for $250 for my 2014. I transplanted the same cover on my current 2016. There’s also someone selling wheel to wheel CC length RAM step sides with all the hardware for $200. I’d scoop them up if I didn’t have them already lol.

Thats a good deal. Mine are factory 2012 steps. They are starting to peel in some places.

tidefan1967

Supporting Member
Reaction score
The K&N is almost guaranteed to allow more dirt into your engine too. trying not to knock anybody's air filter choices but the extra dirt that they allow in isn't worth the risk to me for an extra 2 HP at 5K RPM. I used to put one in every new vehicle that I bought but the re-oiling procedure was such a PITA I would at least recommend the dry AFE filter if you just had to go that route.
Filtering efficiency is a measure of the filter’s overall ability to capture dirt. K&N is the lowest rated of the bunch. The proof of course is in the UOA's of K&N vs paper filters. The paper filters always have much lower Silicon numbers.

kn-v-oem-1.jpg

RammerHarder

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The K&N is almost guaranteed to allow more dirt into your engine too. trying not to knock anybody's air filter choices but the extra dirt that they allow in isn't worth the risk to me for an extra 2 HP at 5K RPM. I used to put one in every new vehicle that I bought but the re-oiling procedure was such a PITA I would at least recommend the dry AFE filter if you just had to go that route.
Filtering efficiency is a measure of the filter’s overall ability to capture dirt. K&N is the lowest rated of the bunch. The proof of course is in the UOA's of K&N vs paper filters. The paper filters always have much lower Silicon numbers.

kn-v-oem-1.jpg

Thank you TF....
I was, going to post some stuff about these snake charming filters, but i would have taken a beating for it from the K&N fanboys.
Some people think these add-on`s are the magical pixie dust catchers... yep, sure are, but no pixie dust was ever found, just plain old dust going down the intake.

OP
OP
Jrod

Jrod

USAF 1997-2008
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Sport
Engine

kn-v-oem-1.jpg

Unfortunately simple google searches can provide data to support either argument. So, until someone complains about a K&N filter destroying their RAM’s HEMI, I’ll sleep just fine at night.

OP
OP
Jrod

Jrod

USAF 1997-2008
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Sport
Engine
Same thing happened to me when I installed the S&B. Sounds so good. You'll notice the increase in MPG when using cruise control. I travel about 100 miles round trip to work. I use cruise control and turn up the stereo. The truck breath easier.

I hooked up my 600lb 4x8 highside trailer today. I only had a queen size mattress / box spring in it plus the wife and dog with me. The trip was an hour long each way. I set the cruise control at 65. My average MPG was exactly 16.5. I’ll take that any day of the week.

AJAY

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I hooked up my 600lb 4x8 highside trailer today. I only had a queen size mattress / box spring in it plus the wife and dog with me. The trip was an hour long each way. I set the cruise control at 65. My average MPG was exactly 16.5. I’ll take that any day of the week.

I would take it as well. That is pretty good. I did about a 700 mile trip yesterday and average 20 mpg haha. The best so far. The other truck is a pig at 15 mpg haha

MK96

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
That test is doubtful. K&N is designed so that it doesn't let dirt particles greater than 5 microns into the intake. Particles under 5 microns don't reduce engine compression. The situation among paper filters is different. By moving a LOT of air under HIGH speed they tend to let some > 5 micron particles in, not many but they do. Crucial by cotton filters like K&N is the re-oiling procedure - less is bad, too much oil and your filter needs to sit a couple of days to drain excess oil. UOA should tell the story but with partial truth unless they state the size of dust/silicon particles.

In the end of the day most engines die due to something else than loss of compression. We all know HEMI lifters ... LOL

My 2 bobs worth ...

kn-v-oem-1.jpg

Last edited:

Usual Suspect

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6
JMO, but at the end of the day they are an oily rag trapped between 2 screens correct?

I like the idea of a dry, washable synthetic myself but that's just my opinion. Everybody has one.

MK96

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
4-5 ply cotton depending of the test result.