Key fob Downgrade?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hylofarm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I'm wondering if anybody has ever downgraded their key fob and ignition. Going from the plastic fob to a metal key like my 03 Dodge or 09 Chevy. I only have 7k on my new truck, but I can see that plastic key fob getting destroyed during my daily life. I fully understand about the chips inside keys and the computer knowing the distance for locking/unlocking and push button to start features. Just seeing if anybody has done it and/or ideas on how to pull it off.

Badger 13

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Dodge Ram 1500
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I hear ya, and agree. Just give me a key which is a whole lot easier to carry in your pocket. I found a leather case for my fob which helps, but the fob itself is bulky.

alpinegreenneon

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
A Y170 key blank has a chip and is not as bulky as a fob. Use alfaOBD to program the new key. My Tradesman doesn't have a fob and only has the lollipop key. If you want a passenger side door lock, the parts should be available since my Tradesman has a passenger side lock. If you have power door locks, you may need to insert the key into the ignition for the door buttons to work. I did the conversion to my 2016 Darts.
https://www.dodge-dart.org/forum/dodge-dart-general-discussion/63066-door-lock-dilemma.html

OP
OP
H

Hylofarm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I don't mind unlocking my truck with a key. I have a scanner that I can program keys with. So that's not an issue.