Knocking at start up.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Compuls1ve

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I have noticed my truck getting a pronounced knock at startup the colder it gets. It only happens if it's been sitting overnight. It makes me cringe... I replaced my manifold bolts and gaskets about 2 weeks ago, but it made no difference. I'm wondering if a switch over to redline 5w 30 will help my situation. It sucks because I'm only halfway through my oil life (Pennzoil yellow bottle 5w 30 and wix filter) I just can't stomach the metal on metal sound every morning.
Does anyone know the part number for the larger capacity oil filter? I have 2013 and my oil filter looks like it belongs on a Honda.

BEAST19

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have noticed my truck getting a pronounced knock at startup the colder it gets. It only happens if it's been sitting overnight. It makes me cringe... I replaced my manifold bolts and gaskets about 2 weeks ago, but it made no difference. I'm wondering if a switch over to redline 5w 30 will help my situation. It sucks because I'm only halfway through my oil life (Pennzoil yellow bottle 5w 30 and wix filter) I just can't stomach the metal on metal sound every morning.
Does anyone know the part number for the larger capacity oil filter? I have 2013 and my oil filter looks like it belongs on a Honda.

Video... could be piston slap on warm up

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

meedom

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You can use the larger Royal Purple 20 - 820

69GWC

Power Wagon
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 8sp
I would bet its alittle piston slep as well , noticed my doing it for a few seconds Saturday morning.
My old 6.0 chevy was real bad.

Last edited:

indept

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Could be a lifter bleed down. I've noticed it twice since I bought my truck new, about 6 months apart. Both times it was parked at work for about 6-8 hours. I had to work late & it was going to rain so I started it (quiet as could be for that start) & moved from the back of the lot to a space near the building so It ran slow Rpm's then shut off. When I left work a few hours later it had a valve tap for about 2 seconds then quiet. Same situation both times.

Compuls1ve

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Here's a video, this is a start-up at 30*f
It's also worth noting I purchased this truck 8 months ago and it wasn't making this noise.

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Could be a lifter bleed down. I've noticed it twice since I bought my truck new, about 6 months apart. Both times it was parked at work for about 6-8 hours. I had to work late & it was going to rain so I started it (quiet as could be for that start) & moved from the back of the lot to a space near the building so It ran slow Rpm's then shut off. When I left work a few hours later it had a valve tap for about 2 seconds then quiet. Same situation both times.

My truck has done this since new, basically. Only because it was about 2K miles before I ever encountered this situation, but it did it then and it does it now if I have the same situation.

I dont think its lifter bleed down, I honestly feel like its something in the programming in regards to valve timing or something like that. If it was bleed down I figured it would do it ALL the time, but this particular noise is louder than the standard "dry lifter" tick.

Recently I read someone suggested when you have to just move the truck from one side to another, once its in park again give it a little throttle right before turning it off, and it seems to alleviate the loud knock on the next start up.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
It's also worth noting I purchased this truck 8 months ago and it wasn't making this noise.

That one doesn't sound that bad to me. Does it make a different sound right after an oil change?

Maybe take another with the mic below the engine, so you can hear the cam without the wash noise from the engine bay.

Compuls1ve

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
It's on its second oil change since I've owned it, but it's definitely been getting more noticeable as it's gotten colder. I never really noticed it during the summer after oil changes. It's just strange because I purchased it in February and it was much colder then, and I never heard a sound.
Maybe a switch to red line is an order?

indept

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Recently I read someone suggested when you have to just move the truck from one side to another, once its in park again give it a little throttle right before turning it off, and it seems to alleviate the loud knock on the next start up.
I did that since if I have to move it and it does eliminate it.

BEAST19

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

Def sounds like piston slap (hollow knocking noise ) if that’s what your insinuating being the issue . My truck does it since 14k miles . Anything recently changed oil wise or anything ? Mine goes away after up to operating temps. Still runs great and pulls hard as hell . Dealer told me piston slap... I’ve also heard it on brand spanking new rams ....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ramnewbie

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
This is just me but I'd get rid of the Pennzoil, mine was bad, but never that bad even on Pennzoil. I'd try M1, Amsoil, or redline, all three of those quieted my engine.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
It's on its second oil change since I've owned it, but it's definitely been getting more noticeable as it's gotten colder. I never really noticed it during the summer after oil changes. It's just strange because I purchased it in February and it was much colder then, and I never heard a sound.
Maybe a switch to red line is an order?

If you do try redline please update the syn thread if it worked or didn't, we informally keep track and like to hear about it. Sometimes the effect is immediate, sometimes it takes 500-1000 miles as the science of moly is time, heat and pressure, and occasionally it doesn't work. If the oil is still on the fresh side, I'd toss some lubeguards biotech in there, if it needs to be changed yes I would go with redline 5w30 and a RP filter which is exactly what I've done to kill me tick as many others on the board.

As for the "cold" thing, dunno. I am in CA rarely gets below 50F, but Corey is in a snow state and redline 5w30 keeps his ram quiet. He did not have luck with 5w20 redline, keep that in mind as the best shot at killing it.

My tick started at 3500 miles new, it as if something loosened up whatever. Dealer says normal, since I went to redline 5w30 I agree with him, sounds normal now.

Compuls1ve

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Nothing has changed with my oil besides the cold temperature starts. Seems like once overnight temperatures dipped below 40 degrees is when it started making the noise. I'm going to look into the lubriguard biotech additive as it's a cheaper option then swapping out to the red line. If it doesn't work, then I only wasted $15 and would switch over to the red line and Royal Purple filter anyway.
Does anyone know how much of that additive to add? I can't find any info online in regards to that.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
An example of the moly boost to 3 to 4 qrts m1 0w30. So it would be less then 350ppm, but that is only 8 ounces, I would add 16 ounces Likely this would be your number, 350-400 ppm moly. This is a uoa, ignore it, but as you can see kept the good stuff in good numbers and boosted moly.

Oil: 2.5 qts M1 0w30 AFE, 24oz M1 0w30R, 8oz Lubeguard BioTech
Aluminum/3
Chromium/0
Iron/15
Copper/48 (down from 93)
Lead/0
Tin/0
Molybdenum/353
Nickel/0
Manganese/22
Silver/0
Titanium/0
Potassium/1
Boron/29
Silicon/13
Sodium/10
Calcium/1184
Magnesium/463
Phosphorus/781
Zinc/707
Barium/1

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Here is the voa on it... Of course these numbers would be way diluted.

Aluminum / 0
Chromium / 0
Iron / 0
Copper / 0
Lead / 0
Tin / 0
Molybdenum / 1891
Nickel / 0
Manganese / 0
Silver / 0
Titanium / 0
Potassium / 0
Boron / 134
Silicon / 17
Sodium / 70
Calcium / 3183
Magnesium / 10
Phosphorus / 3472
Zinc / 9
Barium / 0

Compuls1ve

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Wow, that's a lot of Moly!
The next Oil Change I will definitely be going with the red line.
It sounds like it's made with unicorn blood or something. Thanks for the info on the lubegard, I'll be anxious to try that out and will report back with my findings.

Edit: thank you for all the help on the subject!

OP
OP
Nathan Mathies

Nathan Mathies

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Good day, Im back!(unfortunately) and thanks for all the info regarding my original post, but this morning I had the same thing happen again with the tick at startup. I changed the oil about 3000km ago and went back to mobil 1 filter and it seemed to stop the tick for the time being. Its the first time its done it since changing the filter. any suggestions on what it could be now? it has only happened once so far since the oil change.. super frustrating!!! I would like for the ticking to happen each time at start up so I can show the dealership but unfortunately it doesn't.

Look forward to your responses.

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2wd
Engine
HEMI 5.7 Revolution 4.88s
I recommend you wait a few seconds, I wait about 10 before I actually turn on the truck after I turn the key just to power it up ... when I don't I get the "tick" or "knock" ... So far I haven't gotten either by waiting a few seconds after I power it up ... try it next cold start and see if it happens ...

This is what my mechanic told me to do .. The oil needs to raise up because it all settles down and "HE" said a lot of people confuse it with the "HEMI Tick" which "HE" says its something that is going to happen at some point because of just how each individual vehicle is put together ... Look I don't know much about motors and mechanic overall, but if it was something that he thought is bad he would of said yes lets take a look and we can fix it ... he never once mentioned to me taking it to the dealership so they could fix it under warranty, it's just according to him the type of engine "WE" have on our trucks...

I "DID" mention to him the type of oil and filters some here on the forums suggested to prevent the "TICK" and he said that is exactly what happens with the type of oil other use, some oil just sticks better than other but to just simply power it up, wait a few seconds for the oil to rise and the tick won't happen ...

I know others are going to disagree and say that is not the case, but if I haven't gotten the tick since I started doing this then what he is saying must be right ...

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have heard waiting five seconds or so after turning the key to run will stop the tick (or the knock, or whatever we call it!) but AFAIK we do not have electric oil pumps, so Im not quite sure that five seconds gets the oil to "raise up" to where it needs to be.

In those 5 seconds, though, the fuel system has time to pressurize, but Im not sure what that would have to do with the noise.