Laramie Chrome Wheel Finish ....

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ryabrams

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have a 2018 1500 Laramie, crew cab, short bed (not sure if any of this matters).

The stock chrome wheels .... The chrome face feels plastic to the touch, almost like an insert or "hubcap." Is this accurate or is the entire wheel 1 piece? The reason I ask is, i can see this chrome getting pitted at some point, and I'm curious if it'll be easy to replace them (insert/cap) or if it's the whole wheel.

Thanks in advance, new to the Ram family and loving the truck so far!

mohemipar

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Laramie
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 4.10's
It's a plastic cover, they are designed to stay on there for life. It isn't like a hubcap and I can guarantee you that they would never fall off no matter where you drove the truck.

RoadRamblerNJ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
It is "permanent plastic". Not replaceable but, because it's "chrome colored plastic" and not real chrome, it will not get pitted.

HemiPower36

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500 Laramie 4x4 3.92 8-speed
Engine
hemi 5.7
They are “chrome clad” wheels. All manufactures do it. I was shocked when I found out lol. Ended it selling the wheels. Not my style. Surprising, there is a big market for them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
R

ryabrams

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Awesome thanks for the info everyone. What are you all using to clean it? Standard chrome cleaner or just soap water, etc? I'm assuming since plastic, nothing abrasive at all?

Thanks!

BTD07

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Laramie
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Awesome thanks for the info everyone. What are you all using to clean it? Standard chrome cleaner or just soap water, etc? I'm assuming since plastic, nothing abrasive at all?

Thanks!
I use Meguiars Hot Rims for all wheels on them, I myself dont use true chrome cleaner on them, since theyre plastic.

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Soap and water then put a good coat of wax or a sealant on them. You can also put a ceramic coating on them. They will be better protected and will clean up a lot easier and brake dust will not stick as easily.
Jay

cuminslvr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 Diesel
I have the same wheels on my 18 laramie. I hate the idea that they are plastic covered :jawdrop:, didnt know it when i bought it but i got a great deal on the truck, so I can live with them until I save the 1000 bucks to get new AEV Mesa's. Now that I have made up my mind to ditch them I cant wait to do it. I hope I can find someone locally that may want to purchase the ones I'll be taking off.