latest Android update for Galaxy S4 fixes Text Notification

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dpinvidic

This guy gets shotgun
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 RAM 1500 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My Galaxy S4 (Verizon) just updated this morning to KitKat 4.4.2.
Then today while driving I gat a text, and the NAV system actually notified me.

This feature was not working previously (a known problem with MAP).
And just to be certain, I tried a couple different texts to myself, and they all got announced.

It was a bummer in the past to be driving and hear my phone beep with a text message, but not be able to have the NAV system read it to me.

FINALLY…

Dan

ramenthusiast

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Crew Cab Sport
Engine
It's got a Hemi!
That's odd. My 2012 has been announcing/reading me texts with the S2 I had when I bought it and with my S4 Active since I got that in August. It's still on Jellybean, too. Did Kit Kat break it and now they've fixed it?

OP
OP
dpinvidic

dpinvidic

This guy gets shotgun
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 RAM 1500 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7
That's odd. My 2012 has been announcing/reading me texts with the S2 I had when I bought it and with my S4 Active since I got that in August. It's still on Jellybean, too. Did Kit Kat break it and now they've fixed it?

Not sure...I just know that since I got my 2014 in Dec, it would not announce new texts. When I got into the truck, it would download all of the stored messages, and I could listen to them, and I could use VR to create and send a text message. But if a new text came in while driving, the NAV did not see it.

Called Uconnect, and they said it was a known problem with Android.
It is called "push" in MAP (message access protocol).
Then today it worked properly after the update this morning.

I think it depends on your phone as to it working or not.

Dan

BigAlH

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I was having this problem with my Note 2. It would notify for texts then after a day or 2 stop. Someone posted a note here about an app "Bluetooth Auto Connect". In addition to this app I removed the majority of my saved texts. I had texts from 30+ contacts, and had it saving over a hundred per person. I now only keep a handful of them and only keep the minimum.

Not sure which fixed it, but between these two things I haven't had any problems in several weeks.

FYI - my Note 2 is on Android 4.3.

-al

mtofell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I have Galaxy S4 through Tmobile and the text functionality through the Uconnect has been spotty. It's worked at times but then goes for long periods without working. I've always been able to initiate and send voice-texts through the system but it rarely notifies me or reads them out.

It's interesting that an update through you carrier caused it to work. I'd think it would take an update through Uconnect. I talked with Uconnect about a month ago and all they could tell me is they were constantly working to get new phones working through all functions. Basically, they couldn't tell me anything about my S4 specifically.

Thanks for the update.... let us know if it continues to work or not.

ramenthusiast

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Crew Cab Sport
Engine
It's got a Hemi!
Sounds like an issue with your newer 2014 radios and these phones. Mine has always worked properly on my 2012.

BigAlH

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I have Galaxy S4 through Tmobile and the text functionality through the Uconnect has been spotty. It's worked at times but then goes for long periods without working. I've always been able to initiate and send voice-texts through the system but it rarely notifies me or reads them out.

Try the "Bluetooth Auto Connect" app and see if that helps.

-al

OP
OP
dpinvidic

dpinvidic

This guy gets shotgun
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 RAM 1500 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Sounds like an issue with your newer 2014 radios and these phones. Mine has always worked properly on my 2012.

I love Wikipedia. There are a lot of parts to Bluetooth. Blutooth is basically the electronics to allow communications over a 30ft distance. What you do with that ability is defind by "Profiles". There is a "Hands Free" profile, which lets you make phone calls. We need the "MAP" (Message Access Profile) in order to exchange the text messages between the phone and the car. Below is what Wikipedia says...and the last line mentions that KitKat 4.4 is when this option was added.
I think the 4.4.2 update fixed a small bug in how android handled the MAP profile.

For my GS4, it basically worked, except for notification of incoming texts. The problem was in my phone until the update fixed it.

Here is part of what they say:
Message Access Profile (MAP)[6] specification allows exchange of messages between devices. Mostly used for automotive handsfree use. The MAP profile can also be used for other uses that require the exchange of messages between two devices. The automotive Hands-Free use case is where an on-board terminal device (typically an electronic device as a Car-Kit installed in the car) can talk via messaging capability to another communication device (typically a mobile phone). For example, Bluetooth MAP is used by HP Send and receive text (SMS) messages from a Palm/HP smartphone to an HP TouchPad tablet.[7] Bluetooth MAP is used by Ford in select SYNC Generation 1-equipped 2011 and 2012 vehicles [8] and also by BMW with many of their iDrive systems. The Lexus LX and GS 2013 models both also support MAP as does the Honda CRV 2012, Acura 2013 and ILX 2013. Apple introduced Bluetooth MAP in iOS 6 for the iPhone and iPad. Android support was introduced in version 4.4 (KitKat).[9]

parttimer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I wish mine would break! I don't like having the messages announced and I can't turn it off.

BigAlH

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I wish mine would break! I don't like having the messages announced and I can't turn it off.

It's been a while.. but I thought there were several prompts when pairing and one of them was asking if you wanted to sync messages. I could be mistaken...

-al