LED Bulb Comparison

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mtnrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
....may have to add some led fog lights into the mix to help fill in the gaps up close.

Just a quick note on fogs since you mentioned it. I have tried a few in there and like the high beams there is no little reflector covering the bulb (like in the low beam quads) so the light isn't as focused. LED's in the fog position will put out a lot of light but don't plan on using them with on coming traffic. Great for off roading or out in the middle of no where with no cars but not useful as a fog light any more

mtnrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Last edited:

OnSale

5th Gen Crew
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
OPT7 vs Hikari Ultra vs Hikari (Cheapest)

I changed these OPT7s out for Hikari Ultras because one of the LEDs burned out on the OPT7s. I also tried out the cheaper Hikari LEDs in a quad headlight just to see the difference in brightness. Here are the Bulbs used...

Original OPT7 (I paid $99.99 a few years ago).

OPT7 Fluxbeam H11 LED Headlight Bulbs w/Arc-Beam - 60w 7,000Lm 6K Cool White CREE Kit - 2 Yr Warranty https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00VNBDWPK/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_0vFaCb0HC58GN

Hikari Ultra

HIKARI Ultra LED Headlight Bulbs Conversion Kit -H11 (H8,H9),Philips Lumileds 12000lm 6K Cool White,2 Yr Warranty https://www.amazon.com/dp/B077BT6M6Z/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_DvFaCbK88NSJ0

Hikari (cheaper)

HIKARI LED Headlight Bulbs Conversion Kit-H11(H8,H9), 2019 New Gen of HIKARI, Adjustable Beam, 9600lm 6K Cool White,2 Yr Warranty https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07GKPR452/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_uZEaCbZPF12AM

Pictures...

OPT7 (left) Hikari Ultra (right)

87c853914ac481bc77aad79eba7b160b.jpg

The Ultra has much less scatter and allows you to adjust the bulb alignment after it is seated and sealed in the housing. I would say it's about the same brightness but far less scattering of light.

Hikari cheaper (left) Hikari Ultra (right)

1528d36f6d69d61a2515a3d3b2c77a7d.jpg

Only slightly dimmer using the Mark I Eyeball (I had to stare for a while to see the difference in output). Honestly if I wasn't planning on using the cheaper ones on my wife's fog lights I would have kept that in my truck for the cost to brightness ratio. The Hikari bulb's alignment adjustment really focuses the light in our quad reflectors as well.

Overall, the newer LED arrangements that more closely mimic the halogen filaments are a big improvement. I adjusted the headlights WAY back up after removing the OPT7 bulbs and haven't been flashed yet. I'll do a proper aiming using Headlight Revolution's How-To video tomorrow.

Edit: A very important piece I neglected to mention. The Hikari Ultras have an in-line driver and require an additional CANBUS adapter to turn on. If you don't order the adapter you can contact Hikari after ordering the headlights and they will send you a coupon (on Amazon) for 99% off making these $19.99 adapters essentially free (I paid $0.20 for the pair after the coupon).

Here are the adapters...
HIKARI Pair LED Conversion Kit Headlight Canbus Error Free Anti Flickering Resistor Decoder - H11 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B075CJZ9F2/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apap_Zjgcye4osIG54

The cheaper Hikari lights (that are almost as good as the Ultras in my opinion) have no in-line driver and do not require the CANBUS adapter to work. In fact, they wouldn't even turn on when the CANBUS adapter was attached.

Finally, the Hikari Ultras removed the headlight out message I had with the OPT7 lights. I don't know if the same could be said with the cheaper Hikari bulb as I never had both of those installed.

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk
Since you did these tests, Opt7 has released a new version of the FluxBeam LED bulb, the FluxBeam-X. Actually they even then updated the FluxBeam-X to a "2.0" if you want to call it that.

I've personally had the original FluxBeams and both of the newer FluxBeam-X versions and the FluxBeam-X bulbs are really nice and such an upgrade from the halogen bulbs. Of course they are not nearly as good as a true HID Retrofit, but they are leagues better than stock.

I'm currently running a set of FluxBeam-X bulbs in my fog lights paired with a Quad LED Projector Retrofit (M-LED + Profile HiLens) and I absolutely love the output of the Opt7's in my fog lights.

Sent from my Vivo XI+ using Tapatalk

OnSale

5th Gen Crew
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Any need for canbus adapters? I have the opt-7 and I am disappointed honestly .probably going to return them .
Which Opt7's do you have? Core, FluxBeam or FluxBeam-X? And what do you have? Lows, Highs or Fogs?

OP
OP
SitKneelBend

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
If anyone is interested I just looked at the cheaper Hikari's on Amazon and they are running a lightning deal right now. $24.64 with free 1 day shipping if anyone wanted to try them. Hurry it won't last long.

HIKARI LED Headlight Bulbs Conversion Kit-H11(H8,H9), 2019 New Gen of HIKARI, Adjustable Beam, 9600lm 6K Cool White,2 Yr Warranty https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07GKPR452/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_uZEaCbZPF12AM

Thanks brother! I needed the fog replacements and I was waiting to see them with the 20% off coupon again...this is even better!

OnSale

5th Gen Crew
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Just a quick note on fogs since you mentioned it. I have tried a few in there and like the high beams there is no little reflector covering the bulb (like in the low beam quads) so the light isn't as focused. LED's in the fog position will put out a lot of light but don't plan on using them with on coming traffic. Great for off roading or out in the middle of no where with no cars but not useful as a fog light any more

I have the Opt7 FluxBeam-X LEDs in my fogs and I've never once been flashed or highbeamed by oncoming traffic. If I wanted too I could drive with just my fog lights and be able to see like most people do with ****** halogen low beams. I'm seriously impressed with the reflection and output of the OEM horizontal (09-12) Ram fog light design. Even when I first got my truck and the fog lights were some off brand crappy halogens, I thought the light output was really bright and well distributed.

MarshRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 SLT 4x4, 2012 ST
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If anyone is interested I just looked at the cheaper Hikari's on Amazon and they are running a lightning deal right now. $24.64 with free 1 day shipping if anyone wanted to try them. Hurry it won't last long.

Nice catch!. About 4 hours left on that deal. I grabbed me a set!

OP
OP
SitKneelBend

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Same. For that price they are worth a shot for sure.
Yep, just picked up a set for my father-in-law's too!

FYI, it's one set per customer, per bulb type so you may need to use another account if you need 2 of the same sets (I used my wife's)...

MarshRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 SLT 4x4, 2012 ST
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Same. For that price they are worth a shot for sure.

That's exactly what my thoughts were. I have a set of Quads I cracked open and haven't even decided if I am going to put led back in or install projectors in them. But for that price, what the heck.

Batman&Robin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi V8
I just bought those a few days ago, the special on Hikari. Is there a way to get a refund on the difference?

Which bulb of those would I need for the foglights? I have the horizontal housing.

OP
OP
SitKneelBend

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
I just bought those a few days ago, the special on Hikari. Is there a way to get a refund on the difference?

Which bulb of those would I need for the foglights? I have the horizontal housing.
9006 for horizontal and vertical. Factory they are 9145 (a lower wattage 9006).

I would message Hikari via Amazon. If they are willing to give a 99% off coupon code, they are probably willing to discount a recent purchase.

You could always buy these discounted ones and "return" your previous purchase...

mtnrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
So I got my order yesterday. Just went out to put the 9006 fog bulbs in ....and they don't fit? I've tried other 9006's and they fit fine but the outside diameter of the collar of the light (where the rubber gasket is) is too large to fit in the hole for the bulb?

Anyone else try theirs yet?

OP
OP
SitKneelBend

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
So I got my order yesterday. Just went out to put the 9006 fog bulbs in ....and they don't fit? I've tried other 9006's and they fit fine but the outside diameter of the collar of the light (where the rubber gasket is) is too large to fit in the hole for the bulb?

Anyone else try theirs yet?

Mine looks good, I'll try it out now and see...42b234d511bdca923fa0af2a1ac2d703.jpg

OP
OP
SitKneelBend

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Interesting? Maybe it's the wrong bulb in the right box?

mtnrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Interesting? Maybe it's the wrong bulb in the right box?

Have you tried to fit yours yet? It's hard to tell by just looking at them, it's not off by much but it's enough where it won't fit in mine.

There is no marking on the lights themselves so can't tell if they are they right part number or not. The box is correct.

OP
OP
SitKneelBend

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Have you tried to fit yours yet? It's hard to tell by just looking at them, it's not off by much but it's enough where it won't fit in mine.

There is no marking on the lights themselves so can't tell if they are they right part number or not. The box is correct.

Mine fit just fine too. Here is a close-up of the other set I bought for my father in law. It should be marked right in the base...a53e37ee1fda5c964c5a74e1dc359995.jpg

OP
OP
SitKneelBend

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Edited post 1 with Edit 2...fog lights!