Led Bulbs In An Aftermarket Casing

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GavW

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I'm looking to put led bulbs into a 2008 1500. The aftermarket casing takes an H7 bulb instead of an H13. When you buy an H13 designed for a your model it comes with a decoder included. H7's don't say anything about a decoder. Do they need a decoder for them to run smoothly or is it even possible to get a decoder for a bulb not originally designed for the truck?

Smokeybear01

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 5.9
I'm assuming you have after market headlight housings that use an H7 bulb instead of the H13 that fits the stock housing. You can get decoders for any led bulbs, but most newer leds today are CANBUS ready, which means you won't get the "light out" on your dash when in fact, you don't have a light out. This can be corrected with resistors, which is what I did. The resistors also prevent flashing headlights and intermittent outages, which can really freak the missus out on a dark night going down an unlit road. (6 ohm-50W are standard for most 12v CANBUS systems) The type of led you decide to go with will have a big impact on your final light. I tried 3 sided first (what a joke) and then 2 sided (awesome light) then upgraded the foglights too. Really awesome! Hope this helps,