LED Strips Surrounding Headlights - Brightness

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LSU04_08

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 e-torque
I have a 2021 Laramie 1500 and it seems the LED lights surrounding my headlights are so dim that I can't see them in the daytime. I pass other Rams and I can see their LED strips from a mile away. I turned the daytime running lights on but that's not the feature I'm looking for. What's the secret to having these lights brighter?

heefageLA

Reaction score
Ram Year
05, 14, 17, 20, 23
Interested also. While mine arent as dim as yours, but I would like them brighter. I would think it could be done easily with AlphaOBD, but havent looked into yet.
I have noticed that they get more dim when you turn on the running lights. They are brighter when you have the light switch off.

My '17 Laramie was an Enterprise Rent-O-Truck from Canada and they had both amber turn signals turned on full brightness from the factory. I couldnt turn them off, even if I wanted to. I always thought this was cool because I never seen another truck like that in my area.

OP
OP
LSU04_08

LSU04_08

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 e-torque
Interested also. While mine arent as dim as yours, but I would like them brighter. I would think it could be done easily with AlphaOBD, but havent looked into yet.
I have noticed that they get more dim when you turn on the running lights. They are brighter when you have the light switch off.

My '17 Laramie was an Enterprise Rent-O-Truck from Canada and they had both amber turn signals turned on full brightness from the factory. I couldnt turn them off, even if I wanted to. I always thought this was cool because I never seen another truck like that in my area.

It's probably some ridiculously simple switch we're both overlooking. All I know is that I see them on other Rams like mine and they're bright. I want to be one of the cool kids but I can't with these first world problems :hidesbehindsofa:

heefageLA

Reaction score
Ram Year
05, 14, 17, 20, 23
It's probably some ridiculously simple switch we're both overlooking. All I know is that I see them on other Rams like mine and they're bright. I want to be one of the cool kids but I can't with these first world problems :hidesbehindsofa:

Yep, I thought it was the DRL setting to, but that turned on the actual headlights and thats not what Im looking for.

Looks like us Louisiana boys need to do some researchin' LOL.

OP
OP
LSU04_08

LSU04_08

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 e-torque
Yep, I thought it was the DRL setting to, but that turned on the actual headlights and thats not what Im looking for.

Looks like us Louisiana boys need to do some researchin' LOL.

Hopefully someone on here can set the record straight for us lol.

14 Lonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Mine are the same way, the only brighter ones I see are on the limited version since they are different LED headlights. At one point I had thought mine weren’t working.

OP
OP
LSU04_08

LSU04_08

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 e-torque
Mine are the same way, the only brighter ones I see are on the limited version since they are different LED headlights. At one point I had thought mine weren’t working.

Ok, so we're not alone then. I guess they're designed to have more of a calming glow which is actually really cool at night.

Farmer Fran

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited Loaded - Sold
I will double check tonight but iirc my 2020 limited surrounds were dim so i turned on DTRL.

Gort

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I'd also be curious as to how to adjust the LED surrounds -- except that I really want to turn mine OFF. <insert requisite curmudgeonly grumbling here... ;) >

OP
OP
LSU04_08

LSU04_08

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 e-torque
I'd also be curious as to how to adjust the LED surrounds -- except that I really want to turn mine OFF. <insert requisite curmudgeonly grumbling here... ;) >

They're hard enough to see as it is, lol.

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The lights around the headlights are working as they R intended. I actually tried to get DEALER to go on Witech and turn them off, since they R not the DRL lights, which I keep turned off ne way. The mechanic was unable to access and turn the lights off, they are locked out of that part of the coded BCM, or so they said. I do not know if U can use Alpha OBD to turn on or off. They R on my truck as well.

OP
OP
LSU04_08

LSU04_08

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 e-torque
The lights around the headlights are working as they R intended. I actually tried to get DEALER to go on Witech and turn them off, since they R not the DRL lights, which I keep turned off ne way. The mechanic was unable to access and turn the lights off, they are locked out of that part of the coded BCM, or so they said. I do not know if U can use Alpha OBD to turn on or off. They R on my truck as well.

There's a way to get into the Engineering Menu through your radio that might provide a way to alter the light settings. I'm not going to try it on my brand new truck, but someone else might be ballsy enough to try.

Start at 1:40 in this video to see how. The guy holds the warm and cool buttons for the A/C at the same time, 10 seconds.

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
There's a way to get into the Engineering Menu through your radio that might provide a way to alter the light settings. I'm not going to try it on my brand new truck, but someone else might be ballsy enough to try.

Start at 1:40 in this video to see how. The guy holds the warm and cool buttons for the A/C at the same time, 10 seconds.

Not work on MY 19. I only have a Uconnect 4 Radio (No NAV/SOS wateva) Just straight radio with the usual stuff and Carplay and Android (I got an I phone). So the above hack will not work. Any upgrades has to be done by Dealer. I did talk to my SA at Dealership, as there is a TSB update. he asked me if radio working OK, which it is. He pulled me on the side and said stay away from the TSB, bricking radio's. LOL, So I am on my original U connect from Aug 2018.

Gort

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
They're hard enough to see as it is, lol.

Got this pic tonight of the LED headlight surrounds. The headlights themselves are not turned on. I could have read a book while standing 15 feet from the front of the truck. Totally not kidding -- they're very bright.

20210804_225009_2.jpg

Rlaf75

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I turned off my daytime running lights and I though I did something wrong. When I was behind a car at a traffic light during the day i saw the reflection of the LED surround lights on. The actual headlights were off though. I could care less if they're on or off