Leer Topper - Third Brake Light Wiring help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

zatiny8sv

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar V6
Hi guys,

Purchased a used RAM and put a LEER 100XL Canopy on it. Was planning on connecting the Third brake light and did my research and learned that I needed to connect the red wire from the canopy to the white with brown stripe wire underneath the bed, and ground the black wire from the canopy -- easy peasy.

Well, when I removed the taillight I noticed that the previous owner already had some sort of wiring harness installed. I traced the wires:

A: Comes from the White w Brown stripe wire
B: Goes to the Trailer Connector
C: Comes off the Taillight bulb

.....I'm terrible with electronics, so wanted to ask you guys:

1. Where do i connect the Red wire from the canopy, now?
2. Do these existing harnesses make it possible for me to easily connect the dome light from the canopy, as well (instead of running a wire from the battery for constant power)

Appreciate the help, Thanks!

IMG-2971-copy.png IMG-2973.jpg IMG-2974.jpg IMG-2975-copy.jpg

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
1. Where do i connect the Red wire from the canopy, now?
2. Do these existing harnesses make it possible for me to easily connect the dome light from the canopy, as well (instead of running a wire from the battery for constant power) IMG-2974.jpg

Use the white/brown(I think it's actually white/purple) under the truck for the third brake light on your cap.
You can use the +12V from the trailer 7 pin plug, I'm guessing it's for the lighting in the cap. If the previous owner tapped the trailer +12V, use that one. I would get rid of the rest of that added wiring.

OP
OP
Z

zatiny8sv

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar V6
Thanks, Crash!

So.....wire A, since it’s connected to the white/purple wire.....I should be able to tap into the red wire A (where I have the electrical tape in the first picture), right?

And then if wire B is in fact connected to the 12V wire from the trailer 7 pin plug, I should be able to connect the canopy’s interior light tot that wire, after the in-line fuse, right?

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
If that what those wires go to, run with it. I'm not a fan of those wire connectors, I'll usually solder mine. Make a good ground to the body for the cap wiring. You may want to put some sort of miles plug arrangement(similar to that white plug you have now) so if you want to remove the cap, you can unplug the wiring.
The Leer cap on my truck actually has a little fuse block with a plug in wiring harness. It also has a power lock that wired to the tailgate lock.
I also added some LED tape lights to the top.dbb3d8a808afd4680ea952aaf492d593.jpg

tigerl0128

Reaction score
Use the white/brown(I think it's actually white/purple) under the truck for the third brake light on your cap.
You can use the +12V from the trailer 7 pin plug, I'm guessing it's for the lighting in the cap. If the previous owner tapped the trailer +12V, use that one. I would get rid of the rest of that added wiring.
This may be a stupid question but I have no power to that white and purple wire so how do I go about finding out why?

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
This may be a stupid question but I have no power to that white and purple wire so how do I go about finding out why?
It would only be a stupid question if you didn't ask it.
That Wht/Pur wire only powers up when you apply the brakes. Where and how that is powered up I'm not sure. It probably comes from the BCM, possibly the same output that is used for the third brake light on the top of the cab.
You would probably need to find a wiring diagram to trace out that wire.

Gero

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Did you ever find out how to get power from the white/purple wire? It doesn't power even if the brakes are depressed. Is there separte a fuse for that?

jawzs2

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010, 2014
Engine
1500, 3500
Did you ever find out how to get power from the white/purple wire? It doesn't power even if the brakes are depressed. Is there separte a fuse for that?

Pretty sure you need to have the key on also, at least my 2014 is that way

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Pretty sure you need to have the key on also, at least my 2014 is that way
Strange as my '15 works without the key on. Brake lights by design are supposed to work wether the vehicle is running/on or not.

Gero

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I couldn't get any power. Key or off, ended up tapping the wire for the bulb on the driver side tail light.

Now I gotta figure out where to get a constant 12v for the dome light in the cap. Any suggestions? Tapping into the 7pin trailer harness is an option...does anyone know the wire color?

Gero

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Well, I realize I can't tap the drive side tails brake light because the cap light will blink when I signal right.

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
44.JPG

Here U go.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lasse452