Let’s get to the bottom of these No Starts

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JarheadJohn

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
My issue is the same as many other’s, my 2011 Ram 1500 Outdoorsman won’t start.
My little adventure started about the end of July when my truck would sometimes crank, but not start. The crank would go on forever, if I let it. Sometimes, it took 2-3 tries to fire up. I KNEW it was going to fail eventually, just didn’t know what.
Well, about the second week of August, she took a timeout. Testing this, and that fuse revealed the dreaded internal fuel pump relay was smoked. I purchased the MOPAR, external, relay bypass, from the local dealership, and installed it.
Removing the TIPM and cutting into the harness was nerve wracking. It was either going to start, or blow up. Well, SHE STARTED! Whoooooo!!!
She gave me about 3-4 weeks of running , then on September 12, while driving approx 35 mph, she cut out. Just shut off. Had to coast to the berm and stand on the brakes to stop it. ABSOLUTELY WOULD NOT RESTART.
Crank and crank, but nothing. Had to tow her home.
I threw a bunch of money at it, changing all the commonly failed parts, because I love my truck more than money like the next guy.
This go round I have replaced the fuel pump, throttle body, Crank Position and Cam position sensors, pedal sensor, removed and cleaned all grounds, ADDED a ground from the body to the block…. And stillllll, nothin’.
Pull Coil Pack #1 and have no spark, but pull the fuel line off the rail and it spurts like 10’ before I get the end in a jar to catch it.
Starting fluid will give me one single VROOM but quickly dies without firing more cylinders.
Whaddya got? I need fresh ideas.

OP
OP
JarheadJohn

JarheadJohn

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
One more thing…. Got the battery on a charger to get back to 100%. I’ve knocked it down to 11.85 volts from cranking it so much.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
OP
OP
JarheadJohn

JarheadJohn

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Fuel pump runs.
How does one bypass the ignition?

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Click on where I said bypass ignition, it's highlighted. There is no crank right? Starter is not even spinning?

OP
OP
JarheadJohn

JarheadJohn

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Watched that video…. My start relay seems to work fine, as I can turn it over easily. Unless this fix somehow resolves more than a starter not kicking in?

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Maybe it's the starter? The current fuel pump is working yes? Those win modules might prevent starter, might be worth a shot.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Well, tough one, fuel,air and spark, and when you add fuel you get "vroom", and you say you are getting fuel. Maybe it is third option? air? contaminated fuel?

OP
OP
JarheadJohn

JarheadJohn

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I have not checked the Mass Air Flow sensor, yet.
This really has me baffled. I’m a parts changer, lol. I can rebuild an engine as long as the electronics are good. Chasing down electrical gremlins? That drives me nuts.

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Sorry to hear about your super-frustrating truck issue. It would absolutely drive me nuts!!

It would sure be nice if you had someone who could check for any stored codes (which I suspect there would be). You don't know anyone with a scanner you can invite over, huh?

After turning it over, have you check the spark plugs to see if they're wet (getting fuel)?

I dont think the MAF sensor would prevent it from starting. Vehicles (generally) will usually run even if you unplug them. In fact, unplugging them is a diagnostic strategy.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
Maybe i missed it ..

Did you say your engine cranks over everytime that you turn the ignition ?
You said it does pump fuel when ever the ignition is turned on ?

THEN you go to what does an engine need to run
Air
Fuel
Spark

what are you missing ?

The money that you spent on replacement parts, you could have purchased a pretty trick OBD2 Scan tool & you would have money left in your pocket

I hope that you did not toss away the parts that you replaced

Last edited:
OP
OP
JarheadJohn

JarheadJohn

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I will check the cylinder for gas after dinner.

OP
OP
JarheadJohn

JarheadJohn

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
@GTyankee yes… she turns over every time. When I take the fuel line off the rail, and crank, gas spurts out. I’m getting some kind of flow. Of course that’s not a guarantee that it’s getting to the injectors.

I have a cheap ODB tester that says no codes. I need to rent a higher quality one I think.

OP
OP
JarheadJohn

JarheadJohn

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Ok. Just pulled cylinder 1’s coil and pulled a plug, after cranking. Plug was bone dry.

I pulled the relay bypass and shorted the fuel pump switch, and heard it run. I then plugged the relay back in, turned the key to “Run”, and definitely could hear the pump prime. So, I have fuel at the rails, but it doesn’t seem to be making it to the injectors.

Battery is fully charged now. 14.5 volts on the meter. Cranks strong, seems to sputter a bit….probably the last remnants of starting fluid?

indept

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
You said "Starting fluid will give me one single VROOM". That points to a fuel issue. Either you have really bad gas, there is a blockage after the point you disconnected & got a 10' squirt or the injectors aren't working.. Just my 2 cents

OP
OP
JarheadJohn

JarheadJohn

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
You said "Starting fluid will give me one single VROOM". That points to a fuel issue. Either you have really bad gas, there is a blockage after the point you disconnected & got a 10' squirt or the injectors aren't working.. Just my 2 cents
I definitely have fuel to the rail, but not the injectors. Would 8 injectors go bad at once?
Remember, my initial issue was it just died while driving. I feel like failing injectors would have had me running really rough leading up to the truck cutting off suddenly.

Brian2081

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Here is the BIG question for everybody.......got your thinking caps on ????, what tells the injectors to work?????. We know he has air, fuel to the injectors, it will run on starting fluid so we know he has spark. Maybe ECM has crapped the bed, or just out of pure happenstance a bad wire from crank or cam sensor.

OP
OP
JarheadJohn

JarheadJohn

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
The 2011 Ram 1500s do not have a fuel pressure sensor. Nor do they have a fuel rail pressure sensor.