Level Spacers vs Thuren or Bilstein

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
dbrock34

dbrock34

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I ended up ordering the Bilstein 5112 kit off Amazon. Will hopefully install this weekend. Called a shop to get a labor estimate and it was going to be over $400. Looks like I'll be doing it myself. My wife says I'm not mechanically inclined so wish me luck!

mtnrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I ended up ordering the Bilstein 5112 kit off Amazon. Will hopefully install this weekend. Called a shop to get a labor estimate and it was going to be over $400. Looks like I'll be doing it myself. My wife says I'm not mechanically inclined so wish me luck!

It's not too bad to install, I did mine by myself. Biggest thing is being able to drop the axle enough to get the new taller spring in there. Make sure you have some tall jack stands and I recommend 2 floor jacks.

jguida

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I just installed the Thuren level on my 2015 2500 and put fox shocks on all 4 wheels. I left the rear coils alone as I wanted to feel the ride without any reduction in towing. The truck feels fantastic with this setup. My wife doesn't complain about the jarring anymore and the only time it feels stiff is if you hit a large pothole or bump that is off center. I'd highly recommend it and the install really isn't too bad as long as you have access to proper tools.

OP
OP
dbrock34

dbrock34

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Got the Bilsteins on yesterday. Love the look. I was expecting a little more improvement in the ride than what I got. Wondering if I should have just gone with Thuren. Oh well, now it's ready for better tires.20180826_094050.jpg 20180826_094117.jpg

mohemipar

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Laramie
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 4.10's
Got the Bilsteins on yesterday. Love the look. I was expecting a little more improvement in the ride than what I got. Wondering if I should have just gone with Thuren. Oh well, now it's ready for better tires.View attachment 138584 View attachment 138585

Looks great. I don’t think those Bilstein coils are designed with as much emphasis on softening the ride as Thuren is. Some bigger tires with more sidewall and less air pressure will definitely help soften the ride a little. Even on the stock suspension my truck was noticeably softer over bumps by changing the wheels and tires.

mtnrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Got the Bilsteins on yesterday. Love the look. I was expecting a little more improvement in the ride than what I got. Wondering if I should have just gone with Thuren. Oh well, now it's ready for better tires.

Looks good! I have the Bilsteins lift on mine and it rides pretty good (cummins though so different springs) Seemed a bit stiff the first week but seemed to get better? Maybe it was just me getting used to it though. I still think it's slightly better then stock (which I didn't mind). Some tires with a little more side wall will help as well.

Everyone say's Thuren will give you a softer ride but if you tow heavy that can also be a bad thing. I know of a couple of guys that pulled the Thurens for that very reason. If you don't use your truck for towing a lot probably not a big deal either way.

Didn't you get the alignment done yet? That might help the ride if you have not.

OP
OP
dbrock34

dbrock34

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Looks good! I have the Bilsteins lift on mine and it rides pretty good (cummins though so different springs) Seemed a bit stiff the first week but seemed to get better? Maybe it was just me getting used to it though. I still think it's slightly better then stock (which I didn't mind). Some tires with a little more side wall will help as well.

Everyone say's Thuren will give you a softer ride but if you tow heavy that can also be a bad thing. I know of a couple of guys that pulled the Thurens for that very reason. If you don't use your truck for towing a lot probably not a big deal either way.

Didn't you get the alignment done yet? That might help the ride if you have not.

I'm hoping they soften a little over time. I also wondered that about the alignment. I'm going to drive it this week and let everything settle before the alignment next week. Anything to wear these tires out quicker. Keep hearing guys only getting about 30k miles out of theirs. I've got 38k and I bet I could get another 10k! Winter is right around the corner though and don't know that I want to push it much further.

OP
OP
dbrock34

dbrock34

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Definitely get the alignment done. Adding some castor back in will correct the spring angles a little so it should improve the ride some.

I had the shop align mine to the Thuren recommended specs

https://www.thurenfabrication.com/tech/alignment-and-handling.html

.[/QUOTE
Cool. Thanks for all the info. I wondered if they would align to different than factory specs. I towed a small trailer with it today and it rode like a dream. Guess I just need to keep a few hundred pounds in the bed or replace rear shocks next. Are rear bilsteins going to make a huge difference or do I need softer springs?

mtnrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Cool. Thanks for all the info. I wondered if they would align to different than factory specs. I towed a small trailer with it today and it rode like a dream. Guess I just need to keep a few hundred pounds in the bed or replace rear shocks next. Are rear bilsteins going to make a huge difference or do I need softer springs?

So when you call the shop for the alignment ask them if they are okay doing it to the specs you provide and they are not what the manufacture recommends. Make sure they are good with that before you go. Mine was and they got it dialed right into those Thuren specs.

I don't think rear shocks will make that big a difference to be honest. They are just stiff springs. It's a HD truck so they like having some weight on the rear.

14RAM4X4

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 RAM 2500 4x4
Engine
6.4L Hemi
@dbrock

What mohemipar & mtnrider said, air down your tires a bit and get an alignment. Try airing down to 55/50 PSI (front/rear) or 50/50. That should help a lot. I've even see recommendations from other members as low as 40 psi for the rear.

I usually run 50/50, but it's travel trailer season. So running 55/55 and I can tell the difference. I leave the generator and other camping stuff locked under the tonneau. If I get a chance or a wild hair, I just want to be able to connect the trailer and go. Padre Island National Seashores has a fresh water fill and dump station on site. And yes, 55 psi works great. My 37s are only rated for 65 psi. All loaded up, when my tires heat up, the rear tires hit about 60 - 62 psi while towing.

IIRC, the Bilstein kit is just the front, right? So all you got for the rear was the shocks? The rear springs are the ones that are really stiff. The fronts have the weight of the engine to calm them down. The rears don't soak up bumps until you get a good amount of weight in the bed. You can try putting 400 lbs of sandbags in the bed to see if it helps. I know when my bed is loaded with a yard of topsoil it REALLY improves the ride.

Aelwulf

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
I went full thuren with Kings and level 3 shock tuning. I was very nervous going with level 3 as I thought it would be too firm. It rides softer than stock and still soaks up everything. So worth it. I want to know what level 4 is like now.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Any effect on payload/tow ratings? One reason I like the idea of the AEV lift is supposedly improves the ride/stability while keeping the ratings.

OP
OP
dbrock34

dbrock34

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
20180922_143543.jpg 20180922_145750.jpg

Finally got it sitting the way I wanted. 2" Bilstein level with 295/65/20 Nitto Ridge Grapplers on 20" Fuel Vapors with double dark tint. Tires are at 50 psi all around and ride is much better.

20180922_143556.jpg

G. Mcpherson

Reaction score
Ram Year
2023 Ram 2500 CC SB Tradesman
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I'm running 46 front and rear on 295-60-20 Nitto G2's. Good tire wear and rides well.

bigdodge

Reaction score
It does lower the tow and payload capacity due to the softer springs. Not sure on the exact numbers but I hardly tow anything and the only thing I might in the near future is a small camper.

The aev lift is a spacer that bolts to the axle and slightly changes the spring position. It uses the stock springs so there should be little change to the ride other than stiffer shocks.
Any effect on payload/tow ratings? One reason I like the idea of the AEV lift is supposedly improves the ride/stability while keeping the ratings.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

reloaderguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi

That's marketing BS. You can't keep all factory springs, shocks, and angles while improving ride quality. At best the AEV kit doesn't make the factory ride worse. Nevermind the utterly scary parts of the lift such as the steering knuckle insert that either wollows loose or breaks drag link ends.

Megazor

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
That's marketing BS. You can't keep all factory springs, shocks, and angles while improving ride quality. At best the AEV kit doesn't make the factory ride worse. Nevermind the utterly scary parts of the lift such as the steering knuckle insert that either wollows loose or breaks drag link ends.

reloaderguy,

Would you have any links to more information concerning "scary parts"? I am/was interested in the AEV lift to keep the factor springs and move the axle forward. I had their lift on my JK and it was great. I assumed that would continue into the Ram product line.

Thanks

reloaderguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi
reloaderguy,

Would you have any links to more information concerning "scary parts"? I am/was interested in the AEV lift to keep the factor springs and move the axle forward. I had their lift on my JK and it was great. I assumed that would continue into the Ram product line.

Thanks

One example: https://m.facebook.com/groups/1913328952228907?view=permalink&id=2224748224420310

CF has complaints about the knuckle too.

Right off their own forum: https://forum.aev-conversions.com/f...-parts-product-discussion/253407-aev-draglink

Last edited: