Level Spacers vs Thuren or Bilstein

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dbrock34

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Honest opinions needed. Looking to level my 2016 2500 Hemi 6.4 soon and trying to decide on a level. I know thuren is the way to go but if I'm going to be cheap....does the ride quality decrease a ton with the spacer levels on the 2500. I went that route with my last 1500 and eventually upgraded to bilsteins because the ride was so bad. All opinions welcomed unless they are about me being a cheap ass!

ColeRay92

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I too am interested in this. Can’t wait to see what others say or have done. I have a ‘16 2500 with the 6.4 just like you, OP. The Firestones ATs they come stock with are pretty much done for at 25k. If I’m going to be buying new tires soon I think I’d like to either lift or level the truck then get a tire size to match.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JB1

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Fair enough, look at the pic I posted of the coils with spacers. If you do go with a spacer, keep it to 2" max

Last edited:

Dmopar74

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
The ride is the same as stock with my rough country 2.5" spacer

bigdodge

Reaction score
I went full thuren with Kings and level 3 shock tuning. I was very nervous going with level 3 as I thought it would be too firm. It rides softer than stock and still soaks up everything. So worth it. I want to know what level 4 is like now.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Blue Streak

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 POWER WAGON & 1979 W150
Engine
6.4L HEMI & 440 Wedge
Don't cheap out and get spacers. You didn't like it on your last truck, I'm guessing that you won't like it on this one either. I waited a year after buying my truck to pull the trigger on a Thuren leveling kit, wheels & tires. It all gets installed tomorrow. Really looking forward to it!

Booner21

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 6.4
I went 2in tuff country spacers. ride is the same as stock outside of the wider tires . I didn't go the other route because I use it to tow 12k every now and again and didn't want it to ride like a 1500.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Ratket

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hellbent steel sells a spacer with proper length bilstien shocks, so no shock extender brackets. I would do the Thuran”s though.

17CrewCab1500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My 2500 would be a great example for you.

I had a tradesman truck, I had HUGE plans for it. It looked like nothing at first, even my wife was like.... why did you buy that? (1st picture)

Then while talking to a few friends, got word of a good discount on wheels and tires. But was only good for that weekend! CRAP!! I want to run 35" tires, I probably could with a stock 2500. Went to Discount to get them - nope, wouldn't do it on the truck unless it was leveled. Damn it.

Went out to Craigslist - got me a 2.5" Rough Country Spacer with shock extensions. My buddy and I installed that kit in 30 mins. Maybe even a tad bit less than that believe it or not! (we've done so many of them, that we're pros when it comes to these trucks).

Next morning go and get the wheels and tires! (2nd picture)

I didn't want to run the spacers for too long. The ride suffered a little bit. It sure was stiff, even going from 80psi tires to 65psi tires.

Long story short, had the spacers for a year or so. I finally had some extra cash and I called up Don (Thuren) and said - hey, ship me a set of springs and some overlander shocks. I put those in and wow.. what a difference that was. It was so much softer and the bumps where just not jarring nor teeth rattling. It rode so smooth that my buddy went out that next week, got rid of his spacers and did a front and rear kit from Thuren. Overland shocks as well.. and he LOVED the ride. If you go the Fox - or King shocks I am sure it's 5 and 10 times better than the overland shocks... but Overland shocks are pretty decent in price.

So yeah.. you can feel a HUGE difference between factory and leveled - and then from leveled to Thuren Leveled.

I also had a few trucks with the Carli springs.. and Thuren is way softer.

TruckNew3.jpg

Tires5.jpg

mtnrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
As long as you keep the spacer 2" and under AND get a proper alignment you should feel no difference in ride from stock. You are not changing the spring rate in any way by adding that spacer. Going bigger can change the moment angle to a point where you might feel a difference though.

With that said the Thuren and Carli will give you a softer ride no doubt, but that can also come at a cost. If it is a street cruiser you may be fine but I know of a couple people that removed those because it was too soft for towing.

So you need to consider what kind of duty your truck will see as well to make your decision.

mohemipar

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Laramie
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 4.10's
If you get a spacer kit, get one with bump stock extensions and I wouldn’t go over a kit advertised as 2”.

As said above, make sure you get the truck aligned by a shop that knows what they are doing, regardless of what parts you put on it.

OP
OP
dbrock34

dbrock34

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4

14RAM4X4

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 RAM 2500 4x4
Engine
6.4L Hemi
Well, I'll throw another opinion in....

I have a spacer kit, 3" front / 1" rear. Stock shocks with extensions. I had a good alignment done and I didn't feel any difference in ride, with the exception of speed bumps. The truck hops a little more when I hit speed bumps/humps hard. I figure it's the track bars. With a track bar drop bracket, it should calm that down a bit. But in all honesty, it's really not much of a difference, and I hit those speed humps as if I hadn't seen them, so I hit them pretty hard 99% of the time.

Been running spacers for 2 years already. One day I may upgrade to Thuren or Carli, but gears are 1st on the list. Then maybe exhaust. Then maybe a complete exterior detail with polish and buff to get out all those damn scratches and swirl marks. Then suspension... but just the front, I need the payload for the rear.

That's crazy that discount wouldn't put 35s without a spacer. I see a LOT of 2500 running 295/65r20s on stock wheels and suspension. That's taller tha 35x12.50s.

Whatever you decide, post up pics. Good luck!

OP
OP
dbrock34

dbrock34

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Well, I'll throw another opinion in....

I have a spacer kit, 3" front / 1" rear. Stock shocks with extensions. I had a good alignment done and I didn't feel any difference in ride, with the exception of speed bumps. The truck hops a little more when I hit speed bumps/humps hard. I figure it's the track bars. With a track bar drop bracket, it should calm that down a bit. But in all honesty, it's really not much of a difference, and I hit those speed humps as if I hadn't seen them, so I hit them pretty hard 99% of the time.

Been running spacers for 2 years already. One day I may upgrade to Thuren or Carli, but gears are 1st on the list. Then maybe exhaust. Then maybe a complete exterior detail with polish and buff to get out all those damn scratches and swirl marks. Then suspension... but just the front, I need the payload for the rear.

That's crazy that discount wouldn't put 35s without a spacer. I see a LOT of 2500 running 295/65r20s on stock wheels and suspension. That's taller tha 35x12.50s.

Whatever you decide, post up pics. Good luck!

Thanks.
The fact that your thinking about upgrading also tells me to go the Thuren route to begin with. I hear a lot of "JESUS CHRIST" coming from my wife when travelling on bumpy back roads with stock suspension. Anything I can do to make the ride more enjoyable for HER is worth it!

14RAM4X4

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 RAM 2500 4x4
Engine
6.4L Hemi
MOST of the jarring in my truck comes from the rear, so I'm not positive a change in front suspension will make much of a difference, since I want to keep the payload capacity. That's why it's at the bottom of my list. IF you don't need the payload, then Thuren or Carli are definitely worth looking into. They'd have been at the top of my list otherwise.

ripping r

Old&Grumpy
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 HEMI
I had Thorns 2-inch coils on my 06. I can't say enough good about him . and on my 18 all I want is to level it also and I believe the Power Wagon Springs and trackbar are the best option

ColeRay92

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
My 2500 would be a great example for you.

I had a tradesman truck, I had HUGE plans for it. It looked like nothing at first, even my wife was like.... why did you buy that? (1st picture)

Then while talking to a few friends, got word of a good discount on wheels and tires. But was only good for that weekend! CRAP!! I want to run 35" tires, I probably could with a stock 2500. Went to Discount to get them - nope, wouldn't do it on the truck unless it was leveled. Damn it.

Went out to Craigslist - got me a 2.5" Rough Country Spacer with shock extensions. My buddy and I installed that kit in 30 mins. Maybe even a tad bit less than that believe it or not! (we've done so many of them, that we're pros when it comes to these trucks).

Next morning go and get the wheels and tires! (2nd picture)

I didn't want to run the spacers for too long. The ride suffered a little bit. It sure was stiff, even going from 80psi tires to 65psi tires.

Long story short, had the spacers for a year or so. I finally had some extra cash and I called up Don (Thuren) and said - hey, ship me a set of springs and some overlander shocks. I put those in and wow.. what a difference that was. It was so much softer and the bumps where just not jarring nor teeth rattling. It rode so smooth that my buddy went out that next week, got rid of his spacers and did a front and rear kit from Thuren. Overland shocks as well.. and he LOVED the ride. If you go the Fox - or King shocks I am sure it's 5 and 10 times better than the overland shocks... but Overland shocks are pretty decent in price.

So yeah.. you can feel a HUGE difference between factory and leveled - and then from leveled to Thuren Leveled.

I also had a few trucks with the Carli springs.. and Thuren is way softer.

View attachment 137411

View attachment 137412

What changes in MPG did you notice after putting on 35’s?
I’m thinking Thuren springs and new shocks is the way to go after reading this. The stock firestone tires are wearing fast, so if I’m going to drop money on new tires I’d rather it be the size I want.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk