Lifter Knock

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dalec2404

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I have a 2013 Ram 1500 with a 5.7 Hemi. I just passed 115k miles when the engine developed a lifter knock. The local Ram dealership did a cursory diagnosis and their solution was to drop in a new motor. My question is, how does a Hemi with a good track record and a history of meeting all of the required service marks suddenly have metal shavings in the oil. I only have their word and I'm skeptical.

HuskerRam

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 Ecodiesel
I have to agree with everyone here. On this site, it seems the 2010-2014/15s have seen the most issues with lifters and cams. What did you dealership quote you to replace the motor?

pacofortacos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
If it only met all of the required service marks then it met the bare minimum of service. Those marks are to meet JD Power cost of ownership metrics, not for maximum life.
However if it did lose a lifter and eat a cam, it is probably just a bad lifter - 2013 seems to be one of the worst years.

Easy fix (though expensive) with best long life after the fix is a new motor, otherwise if it sounds solid a good cleaning and cam/lifter job might get you several years of service.

If you want to be sure if it is a lifter/cam - pull the valve covers and see if one or more of the rockers are not moving as much as the others.

Jreuscher

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Mine was diagnosed Monday by the dealership as a bad lifter. I have a 2013 Ram 1500 Sport Reg Cab , 5.7l , 106k miles.
I absolutely love my truck but this totally bums me out. With only 106k I'm thinking about getting rid of it after fix.

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
6.4L HEMI
I may be mistaken, but I think Ram got a new supplier for their lifters and cams after 2017. I'm sure somebody can correct this if it is bad information.

True.
Did not fix lifter failure. We don't have data to tell us if it reduced number of failures. Only know there have been subsequent failures.

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L HEMI
If it only met all of the required service marks then it met the bare minimum of service. Those marks are to meet JD Power cost of ownership metrics, not for maximum life.
However if it did lose a lifter and eat a cam, it is probably just a bad lifter - 2013 seems to be one of the worst years.

Easy fix (though expensive) with best long life after the fix is a new motor, otherwise if it sounds solid a good cleaning and cam/lifter job might get you several years of service.

If you want to be sure if it is a lifter/cam - pull the valve covers and see if one or more of the rockers are not moving as much as the others.
Don't forget Ram Service said to open an inspection port to see if metal shavings and if so, engine is trashed.

pacofortacos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Don't forget Ram Service said to open an inspection port to see if metal shavings and if so, engine is trashed.
Yeah, they are worried about comebacks and parts warranty so easy and absolute fix is replace.

Trashed motors get rebuilt every day though and production motors can absorb a lot of mistakes/bad practices.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
I have a 2013 Ram 1500 with a 5.7 Hemi. I just passed 115k miles when the engine developed a lifter knock. The local Ram dealership did a cursory diagnosis and their solution was to drop in a new motor. My question is, how does a Hemi with a good track record and a history of meeting all of the required service marks suddenly have metal shavings in the oil. I only have their word and I'm skeptical.
Generally if you pull the intake manifold off,then remove the VVT solenoid and if there's metal filings on it's screen,it's reconmended doing a rebuild on the engine,as there's metal shavings all through the engine.Some guys have got lucky and pulled the pan off,and flushed out the inside of the engine from top down and also from the bottom up,put it back together with a new cam and lifters,and got another 100,000 miles out of the engine,but that's more luck of the draw on whether you can get the majority of metal filings washed out.

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L HEMI
Generally if you pull the intake manifold off,then remove the VVT solenoid and if there's metal filings on it's screen,it's reconmended doing a rebuild on the engine,as there's metal shavings all through the engine.Some guys have got lucky and pulled the pan off,and flushed out the inside of the engine from top down and also from the bottom up,put it back together with a new cam and lifters,and got another 100,000 miles out of the engine,but that's more luck of the draw on whether you can get the majority of metal filings washed out.

⤴️

Dusty

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I may be mistaken, but I think Ram got a new supplier for their lifters and cams after 2017. I'm sure somebody can correct this if it is bad information.
That matches my understanding as well.

Regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33-gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build date: 3 June 2018. Now at 85180 miles

Hydrasport23

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The engine has a lifter knock? Set any misfire codes? May not be serious enough to replace the engine. Engine repair may still be an option for you. My 2013 5.7 had cam and lifter failure 3 years ago. I installed new cam, Mellings lifters and high volume oil pump, cleaned and plugged the MDS solenoid ports, dropped the windage tray and cleaned the oil ports as much as possible. Added a tune, headers and a few other improvements. The engine has been great. Runs at 192 degrees on interstate and 70 PSI oil pressure, 42 PSI, hot oil pressure at idle. Total cost, less than $1600, includes the cost of a handheld tuner. I had thought about replacing the engine or trading the truck in for another Ram, but glad I made the repairs and kept the truck. If you like the truck, have it repaired and drive it.

luckydog

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
My '14 2500 has the same issue with its 6.4. It lost a lifter on the way home from dealer replacing an exhaust manifold. Chrysler had them pull the oil pan, they found metal, and now I'm waiting for a new engine (1 month so far). Mine has 128,000 and has had 6,000 mi. oil changes with the recommended Pennzoil 0W40 since new. Thank goodness I bought the lifetime powertrain warranty when I got the truck!

A_mod_too_far

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have a 2013 with 111k and its ticked since I bought it at 92k, been expecting a misfire, but still goin so far, wondering how long it takes to truly flatten a cam lobe

DILLIGAF

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
You got one of the worst engine years. The only way you could of possibly avoided it was running RL 5w30 from day 1. Have it tuned to bump idle speed and drove it like you stole it.

Thats why my Cam was still pristine in my 2012 when I pulled it...

What ever you do dont go to a stealer**** to get an engine replaced. they will bend you over.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
I have a 2013 with 111k and its ticked since I bought it at 92k, been expecting a misfire, but still goin so far, wondering how long it takes to truly flatten a cam lobe
You sure it's not manifolds or injectors you're hearing . By now if you had a lifter ticking and going south,it should of went south,lol