Lifter Knock

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

A_mod_too_far

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
You sure it's not manifolds or injectors you're hearing . By now if you had a lifter ticking and going south,it should of went south,lol

I had both manifolds done at a shop and replaced the injectors myself just to be sure. Now I cant guarentee I dont have some other exhaust leak, but it sure sounds ticky even at full temp, I gave up trying to diagnose the sound though at this point. I also havent seen any signs of metal in oil, also confirmed by blackstone oil anaylsis. Damned mystery though, she ticks like a loud ass **** though.

Side note, I do also have the mds coast down tick coming from the cam phaser which was a separate rabbit hole. But i wasnt going to try and fix that unless i went for a full cam and lifter job.

Dusty

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
"Side note, I do also have the mds coast down tick coming from the cam phaser which was a separate rabbit hole. But i wasnt going to try and fix that unless i went for a full cam and lifter job."
I can't say I've heard of a tick because of it, but the cam phaser causing a coast-down ticking is usually because the clock spring breaks, sometimes into several pieces. This causes the cam phaser to rhythmically bang against the stop, which causes the coast-down noise.

It could be causing another symptom such as your experiencing. Use of a stethoscope might be useful for this diagnostic.

Regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33-gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build date: 3 June 2018. Now at 85255 miles

A_mod_too_far

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I can't say I've heard of a tick because of it, but the cam phaser causing a coast-down ticking is usually because the clock spring breaks, sometimes into several pieces. This causes the cam phaser to rhythmically bang against the stop, which causes the coast-down noise.

It could be causing another symptom such as your experiencing. Use of a stethoscope might be useful for this diagnostic.

Regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33-gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build date: 3 June 2018. Now at 85255 miles
Oh well that's good to know, I've never seen where anyone explained what was actually causing that. I checked the cam phaser position with alpha obd and it appears that it is still "functioning"

As far as using a stethoscope, I've tried and I think I'm an idiot because I can never zero in on a noise. My neighbors jeep had the pentastar tick and me an this kid that is a mechanic at the dealership were both convinced it was the driver side, he tore it down and all the roller lifters were fine. Turned out to be the passenger side. So I have no faith in my noise locating skills at all.

Dusty

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
"Oh well that's good to know, I've never seen where anyone explained what was actually causing that. I checked the cam phaser position with alpha obd and it appears that it is still "functioning"
I've never seen or heard of a cam phaser that didn't function when tested, which is probably the reason it took such a long, long time for techs to figure out the cause.

Regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33-gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build date: 3 June 2018. Now at 85284 miles

A_mod_too_far

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I've never seen or heard of a cam phaser that didn't function when tested, which is probably the reason it took such a long, long time for techs to figure out the cause.

Regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33-gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build date: 3 June 2018. Now at 85284 miles

So with the clock spring likely being broken, does that have any negative impact that should concern me? Because to me it was sort of a low priority thing to concern myself with if a convenient opportunity were to arise such as lifter failure.

I dont understand how the phaser works, I understand the concept of the vvt but the internals of the phaser is just voodoo as far as I understand.

Dusty

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
So with the clock spring likely being broken, does that have any negative impact that should concern me? Because to me it was sort of a low priority thing to concern myself with if a convenient opportunity were to arise such as lifter failure.

I dont understand how the phaser works, I understand the concept of the vvt but the internals of the phaser is just voodoo as far as I understand.
I have personal experience with the coast-down ticking and I've since run across three others. In each case, other than the noise, the vehicle by all evidence ran just fine.

But a technician friend of mine replaced a bad one and took the old one apart to see what was going on. He said the spring, which controls the amount of camshaft movement, was broken into several pieces. It is just a guess, but maybe the cam phaser could cause a tick at idle or RPM depending on the failure mode. So it was just a thought.

Regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33-gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build date: 3 June 2018. Now at 85340 miles

Curt Gobbell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7L
Just because it has a tick doesn't mean the engine is toast.

My 5.7 developed a tick around 150k. It now has 175k, still a slight tick but runs fine with no codes

73-Cudah2

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yes My 2014 Ram 5.7 engine needs to be replaced same thing. Lifters were bad and cam.
it stinks I had 150k. Kept up with oil changes. The HEMI tick.

Bluejoe

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hey Did they say knock or tapping / ticking noise. What do you hear. I’ve known people do upper engine work cam , lifters , head gasket s. Did you see metal shavings in oil ? Pickup with magnet. If you want to keep truck get Jasper engine one with upgraded components . It comes with very good warranty. This is good alternative to dealer repair. Along with that you might want to get new intake manifold, exhaust manifold s and ir gasket install kit . I think you will be happy.