Lifter Replacement.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

pacofortacos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Oil, I tend to use a variety of 5w-20 but always 1-2 qts of 0w-30 Redline oil with the variety - I tend to change my oil between 3000-5000 miles on the most part since many of those are hard miles. Using the variety of oils just keeps the cost down some with the frequent oil changes.
Most often I the variety is NAPA synthetic or Pennzoil Platinum synthetic ( PP not PUP). I have tried the quaker state ultimate (QSUD) but to me it seemed as if the engine was a bit noisier with it in.

Filter - currently using NAPA platinum but liked the Royal Purple filters alot also - used the longer RP filter.
I bought quite a few of the NAPA platinums when they were on sale but wish I would have gotten the larger size vs. the small oem size.

Don't overlook the SRT oem mopar filter - it is a very good filter also.

OP
OP
dmillar74

dmillar74

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 6.4
Appreciate all the details!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
dmillar74

dmillar74

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 6.4
Well... here are the details of the lifter replacement. (see pic of the invoice from Suburban Ram). Apparently they found “multiple valve lifters that were severely worn/Loose”

ee92ff054956a49239651a8b09a5f444.jpg

OP
OP
dmillar74

dmillar74

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 6.4
I have to agree with @Ridgerunner665 on this one. I would ask the dealer for an estimate to replace the rest of the lifters and the camshaft while they have it apart. If they are replacing 4 lifters they are more than likely replacing all four in one lifter tray which covers two cylinders. If that's the case then they will already have one cylinder head off. They could do the other side in less than two hours if the tech is any good.

I am a dealership technician and most of the time I can get warranty to pay for a complete lifter set without having my zone tech come out for an inspection. They should be able to do the same.

Didn’t see your post until now for some reason. It looks like they may have done all the lifters? The notes seem to show that. I wish I would’ve been more aggressive on the cam (and 4 lifters if they didn’t do that)... didn’t think pushing back until I read your post.

OP
OP
dmillar74

dmillar74

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 6.4
Update. All 8 lifters were replaced. I just called the dealer to verify. Cam was “supposedly” fine... but all
lifters were replaced.

Fast69Mopar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Update. All 8 lifters were replaced. I just called the dealer to verify. Cam was “supposedly” fine... but all
lifters were replaced.

Based on the parts list they replaced all 16 lifters. There are 4 lifter trays that contain 4 lifters each. They used two of each part number and that tells me they replaced all 16 lifters. Glad they did that instead of guessing which lifters were making noise.

OP
OP
dmillar74

dmillar74

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 6.4
Based on the parts list they replaced all 16 lifters. There are 4 lifter trays that contain 4 lifters each. They used two of each part number and that tells me they replaced all 16 lifters. Glad they did that instead of guessing which lifters were making noise.

Appreciate the info!

scott lass 18

Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 ram 1500
Engine
I have a 2016 6.4 2500 with 46,000 miles. I’ve always heard a ticking sound for about 30 seconds to 1 minute on a cold start and then it goes away. (Bought the truck new). Decided to take it to the dealer yesterday, in Michigan, to get it checked. Dealer says they are going to replace 4 lifters. They said the cam was fine. Makes me wonder if this will be happening again in the not so distant future. Warranty ends at 60k.

no way the lifters are the problem ! I d go see what cam looks like for no burned worn out lobs ok ! look on youtube misfire and ya mine is ok not a injector but don't trust a dealers at all ! thats so dumb what happens when the other lifters go ! I spend 200.00 to replace them all or if lucky ask if I can but comp lifters on ebay ? bett warranty too ! to do the engine rebuild right ! I have never ever done something so dumb like that bet all shops would agree if lifter went u always replace cam and lifters all of them ! you say I want to do the job right ! bet 10,000 miles u ll be right back ! Power train engines are the best u can call them to learn how dumb this dealer is doing this ! ash then how long is there warranty cuz u know it won't last long and the other lifters well go bad aging !

scott lass 18

Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 ram 1500
Engine
can you elaborate, please, What more is needed to fix the problem?
Would a different cam & lifter set fix the issue, Hellcat for instance, or are you suggesting the problem runs even deeper than that?
thanks

'16 PWagon with a badass Greene tune feed'n & Fire'n 6.4L 6spd // 5.13 AAM // 37" KM3, -24mm // DOR, Purple Cranium // CAI, ARH, Solo Mach44 // z36, EBC // Custom Graphics, AVS, 4% VLT // Morimoto, Rigid, Diode Dynamics // Alfa, Diablo //.................
yess was told they upgraded to hellcat lifters but all need replacement and the cam too not just one part is damage when engine is torn down ! here in california in dec my dealer just replace the whole engine with a new one some are taking short cuts hope the lawsuit going on about this win s !

Chris8579

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
I had the cam and lifters done in my 2016 6.4 about a month and 500 miles ago. It’s ticking again an actually In waiting room at dealer waiting for a shuttle right now

OP
OP
dmillar74

dmillar74

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 6.4
It’s ticking but I bet they tell me it’s normal. It’s worse on start up

Geez... let us know what happens.

Chris8579

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
I would post a cold video start if I could figure out how. Trucks not ticking really bad but if they fix it earlier may not be as bad a fix it was quite for about a week then it came back

Mopar73

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I would post a cold video start if I could figure out how. Trucks not ticking really bad but if they fix it earlier may not be as bad a fix it was quite for about a week then it came back

I’m trying to figure out how to post a video also. Not sure if I have to post on YouTube and then have a link. Haven’t done that either

JS4024

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
If this ticked all along you probably should have taken it in sooner. I would agree that all the lifters should be replaced. Also were they the MDS cylinders? If so, I would also suggest a new cam. Only way to really tell is to pull it and mic it.... dealers typically will do the absolute Minimum so that after your powered train warranty is gone they can soak you for the proper job they should have done under warranty. Always insist on being there if the dealer has the regional rep come in. Those guys are absolutely useless and will only authorize the absolute minimum repair.... unless you get in their grill about it face to face!

Chris8579

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
They replaced all of them about 500-600 miles ago after about 250 miles or a tank of gas it started ticking again I didn’t take it back because I knew they would say it’s normal. And gues what they said today it’s normal the 6.4 is a noisey engine. I gues I’m going to have to run it till it gets really bad that’s the only way they did anything before. I gues I’ll have to get a ford or Chevy next. Not dealing with a failed engine and transmission again have both failed at different times. They even forgot to close my hood all the way today good thing I saw it bobbing before I got on interstate

WY.Ram

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L Hemi
They replaced all of them about 500-600 miles ago after about 250 miles or a tank of gas it started ticking again I didn’t take it back because I knew they would say it’s normal. And gues what they said today it’s normal the 6.4 is a noisey engine. I gues I’m going to have to run it till it gets really bad that’s the only way they did anything before. I gues I’ll have to get a ford or Chevy next. Not dealing with a failed engine and transmission again have both failed at different times. They even forgot to close my hood all the way today good thing I saw it bobbing before I got on interstate
What about having a third party run diagnostics on the engine and give their prognosis, in writing to you, and then armed with that report retain an attorney (lemon law attorney).

Take the advice of that attorney, the report, an go back with a copy for them and tell them you're gonna run that 2500 right up their noisy exhaust pipe (actually treat them w respect and dignity even though they have not reciprocated) or they can do what's right.

They have options, a valve train, or new long block, or new truck any and all of which must perform to new truck specifications. Otherwise you'll sue their ass for....(whatever your lawyer says you can)

I would worry that if the issue is not addressed immediately that some set of circumstances, either real or made up by the dealer, are going to give the dealer a warranty-escape-route, and that will sting you for a very long time.

I know it's all a monumental pain in the ass but that's what their hoping for, too much trouble and so we all let them off the hook.

I bet after third party diagnostics you can turn it all over to your attorney and they'll take care of the rest. OR the diagnostics show the engine is sound and just a little noisy (whatever) in which case you can rest easy at night and even easier while you're driving the truck.

That's all Just my opinion maybe there's a better way but I know the feeling and one big deciding factor for me to go with a Ram was their lifetime warranty. I figured if they were gonna believe in their product for it's lifetime, then I was willing to believe in them.

And if the 6.4l is just a noisy engine why they fix it the first time? There are much better engine diagnostics then the service writer standing there with his hands in his pockets listening to the engine go tick and claiming it's normal. Vibration analysis (failures have finger prints as do healthy engines), compression analysis, vacuum analysis, etc, and one red flag and real techs / mechanics will be inside taking measurements, finding and fixing the problem. **** tell the dealer if they can't handle it you'd prefer the repair happen elsewhere and they can pay for it.

I'm getting all elevated, I gotta go breathe and get centered, before I just randomly walk into a FCA dealership, bare ass naked wearing only a sandwich board that says.......... (Fill in the blank, I'll start) ........ "RAM - the new fukd over rebuilt Dodge" then sit on their furniture.

And I'AM kidding, it's 25f here, I wouldnt be bare ass naked, I would have socks on, at least one any way. Lol

'16 PWagon with a badass Greene tune feed'n & Fire'n 6.4L 6spd // 5.13 AAM // 37" KM3, -24mm // DOR, Purple Cranium // CAI, ARH, Solo Mach44 // z36, EBC // Custom Graphics, AVS, 4% VLT // Morimoto, Rigid, Diode Dynamics // Alfa, Diablo //.................