Lifter Replacement.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dmillar74

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 6.4
I have a 2016 6.4 2500 with 46,000 miles. I’ve always heard a ticking sound for about 30 seconds to 1 minute on a cold start and then it goes away. (Bought the truck new). Decided to take it to the dealer yesterday, in Michigan, to get it checked. Dealer says they are going to replace all 16 lifters. They said the cam was fine?!? Not sure how that is possible. Makes me wonder if this will be happening again in the not so distant future. Warranty ends at 60k.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Fast69Mopar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I have a 2016 6.4 2500 with 46,000 miles. I’ve always heard a ticking sound for about 30 seconds to 1 minute on a cold start and then it goes away. (Bought the truck new). Decided to take it to the dealer yesterday, in Michigan, to get it checked. Dealer says they are going to replace 4 lifters. They said the cam was fine. Makes me wonder if this will be happening again in the not so distant future. Warranty ends at 60k.

I have to agree with @Ridgerunner665 on this one. I would ask the dealer for an estimate to replace the rest of the lifters and the camshaft while they have it apart. If they are replacing 4 lifters they are more than likely replacing all four in one lifter tray which covers two cylinders. If that's the case then they will already have one cylinder head off. They could do the other side in less than two hours if the tech is any good.

I am a dealership technician and most of the time I can get warranty to pay for a complete lifter set without having my zone tech come out for an inspection. They should be able to do the same.

Last edited:

opie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Who’s your dealer?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

OP
OP
dmillar74

dmillar74

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 6.4
Who’s your dealer?

Suburban Ram in Farmington Hills Michigan.

opie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Nice, good luck with the replacements.

My dealer told me, and I agree, he can throw parts at it, but it won’t fix the problem.

OP
OP
dmillar74

dmillar74

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 6.4
That’s what I’m worried about. Sucks.

Mopar73

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
2014 2500 6.4 74000. I went in for a oil leak from the cylinder head and also having the lifter noise after startup. The dealer worked with me to get the lifters looked at. The regional inspector agreed that the lifters were weak but the camshaft was fine. but due to the backorder on lifters they decided to spring for a new long block[emoji3] gotta love a certified ram preowned warranty. 7yrs 100000 mi.

opie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I did create a call back from the dealer because I gave them a 4 on one of the questions. I explained that it had nothing to do with the service I received, I was simply trying to get Chrysler’s attention. The lady gave me Chrysler’s customer number and said I should call it and log a complaint. If enough people do that, they will sit up and take notice.

opie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
2014 2500 6.4 74000. I went in for a oil leak from the cylinder head and also having the lifter noise after startup. The dealer worked with me to get the lifters looked at. The regional inspector agreed that the lifters were weak but the camshaft was fine. but due to the backorder on lifters they decided to spring for a new long block[emoji3] gotta love a certified ram preowned warranty. 7yrs 100000 mi.

Sounds like an excellent dealer.

Mopar73

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Sounds like an excellent dealer.

They’ve been treating me very well no complaints whatsoever Van Horn Plymouth/Chrysler in Plymouth Wisconsin. They have multiple dealerships around the state but the one in Plymouth I believe is their biggest truck center.

WY.Ram

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L Hemi
Nice, good luck with the replacements.

My dealer told me, and I agree, he can throw parts at it, but it won’t fix the problem.

can you elaborate, please, What more is needed to fix the problem?
Would a different cam & lifter set fix the issue, Hellcat for instance, or are you suggesting the problem runs even deeper than that?
thanks

'16 PWagon with a badass Greene tune feed'n & Fire'n 6.4L 6spd // 5.13 AAM // 37" KM3, -24mm // DOR, Purple Cranium // CAI, ARH, Solo Mach44 // z36, EBC // Custom Graphics, AVS, 4% VLT // Morimoto, Rigid, Diode Dynamics // Alfa, Diablo //.................

opie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
can you elaborate, please, What more is needed to fix the problem?
Would a different cam & lifter set fix the issue, Hellcat for instance, or are you suggesting the problem runs even deeper than that?
thanks

'16 PWagon with a badass Greene tune feed'n & Fire'n 6.4L 6spd // 5.13 AAM // 37" KM3, -24mm // DOR, Purple Cranium // CAI, ARH, Solo Mach44 // z36, EBC // Custom Graphics, AVS, 4% VLT // Morimoto, Rigid, Diode Dynamics // Alfa, Diablo //.................

The lifter issue seems to run between multiple model years. Some report that after having lifters and or cams replaced, the issue comes back.

That tells me the issue is a design flaw, not a parts flaw. Until Chrysler addresses the design flaw, throwing parts at it is just a bandaid.

68PowerWagon

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Laramie 3500
Engine
6.7 CTD
I have a 2016 6.4 2500 with 46,000 miles. I’ve always heard a ticking sound for about 30 seconds to 1 minute on a cold start and then it goes away. (Bought the truck new). Decided to take it to the dealer yesterday, in Michigan, to get it checked. Dealer says they are going to replace 4 lifters. They said the cam was fine. Makes me wonder if this will be happening again in the not so distant future. Warranty ends at 60k.

Just out of curiosity what kind of oil & filter has been used on it since new?

OP
OP
dmillar74

dmillar74

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 6.4
It is always been to the Ram Dealer. It says 68171066-PC which looks to be Pennzoil Full Synthetic 0w-40 Ultra Platinum.

pacofortacos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Lifter tick for a few seconds at startup is not a new thing, not even a hemi thing.
It started decades ago on most all hydraulic lifter engines and isn't an issue or unusual in a pushrod motor.
It actually was worse from cars motors back in the heyday of pushrod motors and no one ever thought twice about it.

OP
OP
dmillar74

dmillar74

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 6.4
Lifter tick for a few seconds at startup is not a new thing, not even a hemi thing.
It started decades ago on most all hydraulic lifter engines and isn't an issue or unusual in a pushrod motor.
It actually was worse from cars motors back in the heyday of pushrod motors and no one ever thought twice about it.

I was thinking that too and was hoping that cold ticking in the morning for a minute wasn’t a bad thing. But then the dealer decided to replace 4 lifters.

pacofortacos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Oh and every time I have used the oem factory oil filter, I get the startup tick after about 1000 miles on the oil change.

OP
OP
dmillar74

dmillar74

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 6.4
Did they just guess at four or did they take it partially apart and then decide four?

I believe they did because they said the cam was fine but I’m not quite sure. I would think if they said the cam was fine that they did?