"Limited Slip" vs "Anti-Spin Differential Rear Axle"

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Machria

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Limited
Engine
Ecodiesel 3.0
Hi guys,
My 2015 1500 Limited Ecodiesel truck has a "DSA Anti-Spin Differential Rear Axle" as one of it's options on my options list.

Is that basically a Limited Slip rear axel? OR, is it something completely different? Just trying to understand some of the technical stuff on my truck. Thanks in advance for any help!

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I believe it is the same.

indept

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
It could bea Torsen style diff which is anti spin without the slip plates

ExpressRules

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Express Crew Cab & 2019 Big Horn Crew Cab
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Same thing, different car makers call it different things. "limited slip, posi traction, etc.)

OP
OP
Machria

Machria

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Limited
Engine
Ecodiesel 3.0
Thanks guys....

Yep, its a limited slip and for a stock unit it works really well, espicalliy when you disable traction control.

"Disable traction control"? I don't recall having a button / setting for that?

Ramit355

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram Laramie Sport 4WD
Engine
Yes there is a button to turn off traction control.

Ramit355

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yep, its a limited slip and for a stock unit it works really well, espicalliy when you disable traction control.

1500’s are clutch type, HD’s are helical gear torsen type.

What is the point of Limited slip if you have traction control?

ColdCase

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Limited slip works better in a number of situations, there is a thread around here somewhere. It doesn't need as much power to operate and can be driven with more precision. Traction control augments the limited slip rear axle at higher speeds. Front axles don't have limited slip. so it depends on the Brake Lock Diff feature of traction control to reduce wheel spin.

6.7CumminsDrvr

The Dude abides………
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
What is the point of Limited slip if you have traction control?

Traction control tries to limit wheel spin whereas a limited slip attempts to redistrubute power to a wheels with traction.

Think about this, in some situations you want wheel spin to get you moving (sand, mud, snow) but you’d also like to have power going to both tires, not the ‘ole 1 wheel peel. In this senario, the limited slip is your friend. You dont want traction control trying to cut power when you trying to get out of a mud hole, sand, or some other low traction surface and its why almost every vehicle (even cars) have a disable feature so you can get wheel spin when needed. Throw the truck into 4lo and its automatically turned off for you.........

Traction control is just that, its trying to prevent wheel spin (loosing traction) which most of the time is a good thing (think driving on rain slicked road with hemi and no weight over rear axle). Now throw in stability control and the combo tries to A) keep the rear from loosing traction and B) keep the rear end from passing the front!

They all have their pros and cons, having them both is kinda nice.......though im glad the new Ram now has a driver selectable rear locker available but thats another discussion.

Hope that helped.

OP
OP
Machria

Machria

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Limited
Engine
Ecodiesel 3.0
Traction control tries to limit wheel spin whereas a limited slip attempts to redistrubute power to a wheels with traction.

Think about this, in some situations you want wheel spin to get you moving (sand, mud, snow) but you’d also like to have power going to both tires, not the ‘ole 1 wheel peel. In this senario, the limited slip is your friend. You dont want traction control trying to cut power when you trying to get out of a mud hole, sand, or some other low traction surface and its why almost every vehicle (even cars) have a disable feature so you can get wheel spin when needed. Throw the truck into 4lo and its automatically turned off for you.........

Traction control is just that, its trying to prevent wheel spin (loosing traction) which most of the time is a good thing (think driving on rain slicked road with hemi and no weight over rear axle). Now throw in stability control and the combo tries to A) keep the rear from loosing traction and B) keep the rear end from passing the front!

They all have their pros and cons, having them both is kinda nice.......though im glad the new Ram now has a driver selectable rear locker available but thats another discussion.

Hope that helped.

Helps me a bit, thanks. The whole transfer case, tranny, limited slip, traction control, awd…. "stuff" gets very confusing! What ever happened to the shift stick on the side of the steering wheel!!!!???? ;)

Ramit355

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

Hope that helped.

Yes that helped quite a bit thanks for the info. makes perfect sense! I have the E-locker but I never ordered Limited slip this time around.

John Jensen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ecodiesel
6.7CumminsDrvr explained it very well.

Here's tech data through 2016, not sure if 2019 4x4s are same:

Traction Control System (TCS)
The TCS monitors the amount of wheel spin of each of the driven wheels. If wheel spin is detected, brake pressure is applied to the slipping wheel(s), and engine power is reduced to provide enhanced acceleration and stability. A feature of the TCS functions similarly to a limited-slip differential and controls the wheel spin across a driven axle. If one wheel on a driven axle is spinning faster than the other, the system will apply the brake of the spinning wheel. This will allow more engine torque to be applied to the wheel that is not spinning. This feature remains active even if TCS and ESC are in the “Partial Off” mode. This brake pressure modulation transfers drive torque from slipping to non-slipping wheels to provide optimal forward traction.

Electronic Stability Control (ESC)
The ESC system enhances directional control and stability of the vehicle under various driving conditions. ESC corrects for oversteering or understeering of the vehicle by applying the brake of the appropriate wheel to assist in counteracting the oversteer or understeer condition. Engine power may also be reduced to help the vehicle maintain the desired path. ESC uses sensors in the vehicle to determine the vehicle path intended by the driver and compares it to the actual path of the vehicle. When the actual path does not match the intended path, ESC applies the brake of the appropriate wheel to assist in counteracting the oversteer or
understeer condition.
• Oversteer - when the vehicle is turning more than appropriate for the steering wheel position.
• Understeer - when the vehicle is turning less than appropriate for the steering wheel position.
All Ram Two-Wheel Drive Vehicles And Four-Wheel Drive Vehicles In 2WD, 4WD AUTO, Or 4WD LOCK Modes Can Choose The following ESC Operating Modes:

ESC On
This is the normal operating mode for ESC in 2WD/4WD AUTO/4WD LOCK modes and in 2WD vehicles. This mode should be used for almost all driving situations. ESC should only be turned to “Partial Off” or “ESC Off” for specific reasons as noted below.

ESC Partial Off
This mode is entered by momentarily pressing the “ESC Off” switch. When in Partial Off mode, the TCS portion of ESC, except for he “limited slip” feature described in the TCS section, has been disabled and the "ESC Off Indicator Light" will be illuminated. All other stability features of ESC function normally. This mode is intended to be used if the vehicle is in deep snow, sand, or gravel conditions and more wheel spin than TCS would normally allow is required to gain traction. To turn ESC on again, momentarily press the “ESC Off” switch. This will restore the normal “ESC On” mode of operation.
This Is the ESC operating mode in 4WD LOW:

ESC Full Off
This mode is intended for off-road use when ESC stability features could inhibit vehicle maneuverability due to trail conditions. This mode is entered by pressing and holding the “ESC Off” switch for five seconds WHEN THE VEHICLE IS STOPPED and the engine is running. After five seconds, the “ESC Off Indicator Light” will illuminate and the “ESC Off” message will appear in the odometer. ESC and TCS except for the “limited slip” feature described in the TCS section are turned off until the vehicle reaches a speed of 40 mph (64 km/h). At 40 mph (64 km/h) the system returns to “Partial Off” mode.

HarrisFD

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ram 2500 4x4, Cummins 6.7, 68RFE
I realize this thread is a few months old but I have a similar question. I recently moved to Utah ( from San Diego LoL) and snow is a common occurrence where I now live. On snow days, the traction control is pretty much useless on even the slightest grade and I have to use 4WD to get out of my neighborhood. I want to add limited slip before next winter. So would Yukon clutch type or AAM helical be the better choice??

Ramit355

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I realize this thread is a few months old but I have a similar question. I recently moved to Utah ( from San Diego LoL) and snow is a common occurrence where I now live. On snow days, the traction control is pretty much useless on even the slightest grade and I have to use 4WD to get out of my neighborhood. I want to add limited slip before next winter. So would Yukon clutch type or AAM helical be the better choice??

Mopar uses the AAM helical for O.E.

QwikKota

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Mopar uses the AAM helical for O.E.

That is only for the HD Ram's, correct? The OE anti-spin diff for 1500 Ram/Dakota has always been clutch type.

Last edited:

Ramit355

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Quick....yes as far as I know unless its changed....

Bluesurf

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V8
From a safety point, I wouldn't be with out a limited slip system. Years ago when they were not available I has too many accidents with the rain, ice and snow. Since limited slip and then ABS my situation changed bigly!

JoeCo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

Absolutely cannot stand traction control in situations like that, give me some damn wheel spin sometimes!

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi
So pretty much the TSC does the same as the anti-slip, but via the brake and not the clutch?