Little Design/Research progress on Manual swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

R/T_Fire

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Was at a car show this past weekend and stopped into the Modern Drive Line trailer to see what they thought and ability to swap in a 6 speed into the 4th gen ram, shown in the pics is the a list of parts they came up with and cost..... To my surprise it isn't that bad and less than I was expecting.. Looks like I will be ordering this for a summer project (I hope) instead of rebuilding yet another 545rfe...
Looks like most parts that are need are listed except tuning and clutch pedal set up, which I have covered or can fab up using an HD Ram assembly

Looks like my dream of a manual regular cab ram sport/ race truck is actually going to happen.

6speed swap1.jpg

6speed swap2.jpg

charonblk07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
F1-A forged 349ci
The only thing I don't see is a PCM upgrade. Were you going to just ground the trans wiring or try and get TrueStreet to flash the PCM to a manual?

OP
OP
R/T_Fire

R/T_Fire

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
No I will reprogram the PCM to work, Or that is the plan for now. I have talked to a couple of Tuners that feel pretty confident they can get things to work, I even talked to a smog shop about the ramifications of smog and this swap and he sai its all kosher, even with a custom tune as long as the tuning utilizes "stock" or OEM parameters.... the jury is still out on if he knows what he was talking about though...

If PCM tuning fails I will then look into other options on how to make it work... It took some crafty tuning with StarScan when we messed around with my 07 CTD and made it a manual in 09. But we had parameters to work off of with OEM production stuff... that doesn't exist on a 4th gen 1500 though... time will tell and if not I will have an expensive lesson lol

O.R.T.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
I like this topic. In my ex-CJDR Parts Dealer Guy brain I immediately went "OK, so we're talking maybe $5-7k total, but what about the PCM?".

Lemme go find some popcorn bro. :D

p.s. If this does work out I hate you again. :angels2:

1Low04

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
When is the rest of the mods coming?

CuylerTech

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Big Horn Mega Cab 4x4
Engine
6.7L
Reflashing the PCM to a manual trans is easy. Simplest route would just be HP tuners, take a stock read, change trans to manual and reflash.

OP
OP
R/T_Fire

R/T_Fire

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
When is the rest of the mods coming?

As budget and time permits.... Kinda hoping by the time I get to it someone will already have a coilover system worked out. I have to finish other projects before I tear into this and start the heavy modifications.... I have my other 2 daily drivers torn apart still, gotta get those back together or buy another daily driver

OP
OP
R/T_Fire

R/T_Fire

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Reflashing the PCM to a manual trans is easy. Simplest route would just be HP tuners, take a stock read, change trans to manual and reflash.

That is what was suggested by some tuners I have talked too. Looks like I'll be selling my Diablo one of these days.

O.R.T.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
... I have my other 2 daily drivers torn apart still, gotta get those back together or buy another daily driver

:D Imma call you "Kat", Kathy was my first real girlfriend but she was all talk too. ;)

Heeeheeeheee-Mwaahaahaahaa

O.R.T.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
*O/T but what're the other topics? I'm about to jump in and help put a Lexus V8 into an 85 Celica.

OP
OP
R/T_Fire

R/T_Fire

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
:D Imma call you "Kat", Kathy was my first real girlfriend but she was all talk too. ;)

Heeeheeeheee-Mwaahaahaahaa

easy now.... I just dumped 3k last month into the ZR2 and have a Van full of parts to put on it.... just need the time to weld things up and turn the wrench... I wish I could just win the lotto, not for the money but the time it would afford me to do all I plan