Locking Lug Nut Key

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BigA

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi Etorque
Well I already had a screw go through my tire sidewall today and I need a new tire. Went to find my lug nut key which I though I remember seeing when I bought the truck and it is nowhere to be found. Do the Dealers have master sets?

Neil E

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
It looks like you have a 19, if it came stock on the truck, I'm assuming it did. The dealer should be able to tell you where the key is. Good luck, and that sucks.

Hexxus

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Good luck! I just went through this. Take a picture and maybe someone can identify it.

OP
OP
BigA

BigA

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi Etorque
It looks like you have a 19, if it came stock on the truck, I'm assuming it did. The dealer should be able to tell you where the key is. Good luck, and that sucks.

Yes, I've torn the truck apart and no luck, I think maybe they did not give it to me.

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
If you can't find it there are ways of getting them off. I always pull mine off and put regular lug nuts on if my vehicle has them. Most people store the key with the jack and lug wrench so thieves can find it if they want it anyways. If its not in the truck and you get a flat its a tow without a key. If every lug is like that it may be a standard size wheel key. Try a tire shop as they will have faced this problem often. It looks like a standard splined key is what you need from the picture.

Last edited:

Tumbleweed

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
The locking lug nut looks like a McGard lock to me. If you ever do find it, McGard can send you a spare key.
McGard.jpeg

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
8 point star lug nut key51fQWaIth4L._AC_UL360_SR360,330_.jpg

OP
OP
BigA

BigA

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi Etorque
Okay Thanks, I am going to go to the dealer in the morning and see if they have a master first as I need to get my tire fixed asap. I would have them just break it off at a tire shop but they are all closed today anyway.

millrat

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
dealers will have a universal removal set for locking lugs, as an ASE Master Certified Auto Tech for 32 years, I had 2 sets of these types of tools just for this reason..

avantiguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi
dealers will have a universal removal set for locking lugs, as an ASE Master Certified Auto Tech for 32 years, I had 2 sets of these types of tools just for this reason..

My dealer didn't have any way to remove the locknuts nor did Discount Tire locally unless they were the type without the hardened ring. If you had the ring, they sent it down the road to a weld shop at extra cost. If it was solid one-piece then they just drove a socket on them to remove them as suggested.

The suggestions about taking them somewhere that has a key are all well and good until you can't find anyone that has a key.

Many will need to either send a pix to the manufacture to buy a key or, as I did, cut the hardened ring off with a small bit in a die grinder and drive a socket on the soft remains to remove them.

Those that say they can remove the hardened ring one's by driving a socket on them, show your work. I tried several socket sizes and they either just spun on the ring or couldn't be driven one as they were to small.

millrat

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
those shops and dealer sold you a load of BS, I routinely removed mcgard hardened wheel locking lug nuts like yours with ease. the kit I used most was a spiral socket kit, specifically for those types of wheel locks. I think you ran into shops that did not want to accept the potential liability of a damaged wheel on a brand new truck.

these are the two kits I used

https://www.amazon.com/Ken-Tool-30171-Wheel-Lock-Removal/dp/B005EKZEFW

https://express.google.com/u/0/prod...MIh4-btdvf3wIVRrnACh2ZKQ_pEAQYCiABEgI23vD_BwE