Longevity for the 5.7L

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ramrob20

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have a 2014 Ram 1500 4x4 5.7L and I just hit 140,000 miles and would like to keep the truck another 5-7 years (another ~150,000 miles) is that possible? What are some preventative items I can start working through? I just did the water pump, thermostat, and flush.

Appreciate the conversation

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
You passed the time when most cam lifters fail 70-130k miles, so that is positive. Cleaning of the throttle body and combustion chamber is a great idea. Time for plugs is they are oem, eventhough they are 100k plugs, many people say no such thing, so that would be way over due. Diifs are easily serviced, transfer case as well if you have one. Brakes and flush, wheel bearings. Clean combustion chamber sea foam through vac lines and run redline si-1 through gas tank a few times then change oil. get a used oil analysis from blackstone, see the health of the engine. sounds like you have a good hemi, maybe it will last much more then 7 years.

Daniel Ortiz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 L Hemi V8
I've got a 2017 with only 82k miles, but am in a similar wagon. I sometimes have clatter at startup (not an exhaust leak, yet), which I think may be due to a suspect oil filter once in a while. Other than scheduled maintenance, my current plan is:

(1) Maintain 5k mile oil change intervals or less (I've been doing that since around 46k miles, should have done it since I bought it at 17k miles)
(2) I drained/filled transmission fluid with ZF fluid at 50k miles, and plan to do every 50k miles.
(3) I started adding Lubegard to my oil changes at 73k miles, plan to keep adding full dose each change
(4) I've been running Mobil 1 5W-20 since the short OCIs prohibit top tier oil, but the start-up clatter and other barely perceptible noises, plus reading here and my warm location have me wondering if I will soon switch to 5W-30. Once I make the switch, I'll stick with that weight rest of the truck's life.
(5) I've recently decided to adopt @Burla 's practice of draining and re-filling the radiator once a year (or about every 20k miles), just to keep the cooling system in best shape.

That's my plan so far. It's still evolving too, so who knows what will change. So far, other than the very rare clattering, it's been great. The transmission did start to make a strange kind of sound on 1-2 and 2-3 shift when cold at around 70k miles, but it stops once it warms up a little, and there are no other indications anything is wrong. I have the transmission heater bypassed with a plug, so it is slow to warm up. I might have to get that looked at by a transmission shop, but seems low-priority for now.

A_mod_too_far

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I've heard of the timing chains failing around 200k sometimes, but nothing you can do as a preventative about that.

But if everything's good why not keep driving it, I've heard people passing 400k on their trucks

danielmid

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Sport 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have a 2014 Ram 1500 4x4 5.7L and I just hit 140,000 miles and would like to keep the truck another 5-7 years (another ~150,000 miles) is that possible? What are some preventative items I can start working through? I just did the water pump, thermostat, and flush.

Appreciate the conversation
When you did the water pump did you do new belt, idler, and tensioner? What about PCV valve?

Travelin Ram

Reaction score
Somewhere in NA. Probably. We travel a lot.
Ram Year
Engine
Most engines die from neglect. Delayed or deferred maintenance. Keep the cooling system in good condition and keep clean oil in it.

Older engines may need more frequent oil changes to avoid sludge because as wear accumulates there is more blow-by getting into the crankcase. On the same topic make sure the PCV system is working and check it regularly.

DodgeDude99

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
My cousins ‘06 1500 5.7 has 236k on it. The body is shot, he replaces ball joints, tie rod ends, sway bar links links once a year (he buys Amazon parts and wonders why they don’t last), but the engine & trans have been trouble free other than sensors & a water pump.

AKGONZO

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
My neighbor across the street has a 4th gen with 280k miles on it, completely stock and had had zero issues with his.

I have a 2019 that has your basic bolt ons, 4" lift, and 35s, and a tune with 79k on it and I've had nothing (knock on wood) happen to date. I've been thinking about putting in the high volume oil pump to help with idle pressure, but I'm one of those people that hates having my vehicles idle anyway.

MrOctNot

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My '05 RAM 1500 5.7 Hemi has 316K. Got it cheap from a neighbor whose Dad has a top rated repair shop here in Winston Salem, NC. It has the "exhaust tick" (broken manifold bolts) that I will address soon. To hopefully avoid the other more serious "Hemi tick" (lifter failure), I installed the Melling High Volume Oil Pump M342HV. While I had the front of the engine off, also installed a timing chain kit, water pump/thermostat and hoses, idler and tensioner pullies, and serpentine belt. Oh, and installed an oil pan gasket and oil pressure sensor as well. Wishing you many more miles RamRob20.

EdGs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
My Ram 5.7L is a 2015 SLT QC 2WD 3.21

160K miles +. Bone stock, except for Cooper Discoverer AT 'E' rated tires (which now have 72k miles on them WISH I could buy another set).

Have had a few minor issues. Replaced H/L switch, both front hubs, exhaust manifold bolts, esim pump, and my fuel level sensor is starting to go intermittent, but fuel pump is fine for now

Other than that, normal routine service. Oil changes every 10k miles, PP almost exclusively 5w-30 for the last few changes, did switch to Fram XG2 filters. I have used lubegard as well, but not on the last few changes. When I remember to, usually before a road trip, will dump some injector cleaner in her.

8 speed trans service around 100k, Coolant change, pcv valve, brake fluid change. Brake pads. Probably should replace my shocks since they're original, but funds are tight.

Still makes me smile when I hit the skinny pedal.

Take care of you Ram. Drive her. Enjoy her.

May you have many trouble-free miles.

Last edited:

gtomike60

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
I have 175k 0n my 2012 Power Wagon

105k of those miles on 37s

Engine still runs great ,did plugs at 100k,and only had to replace the thermostat and starter so far

pioneerlax

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
2004 1500 SLT Quad Cab with 214,00 miles......regular oil changes.. only have been driving about 4K a year for the last three years, so most of the miles were early on. Replaced complete rear at 150K due to the main bearing going and causing vibrations.. Actually I have to do it again, same thing happening (replaced it with a 60K rear). Nothing out of the ordinary but things systemically failed.. Heater vent door repair at 120K, heater switches at 140K, 4wd grommet broke at 130K (replaced with a homemade gerryrig) , Went 10 years with the engine light on because I refuse to repalce another O2 sensor... went away when I replaced the gas tank, Power steering pump at 180K, gas tank at 200K, rusted bumper and spare tire assembly at 190K, other than that, everything all stock...including the rust!!! At this point it would be cheaper to rebuild most of it and drive it another 6 years.... cheaper than a new truck!!! almost 20 years old and paid off for 15... no performance parts...yet

Rlaf75

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My coworker has an 11 RAM with 200k miles on it. Other than the normal exhaust manifold replacement (headers were install and no problem since) and routine maintenance his has been trouble free. The truck is starting to rust out though.

MileHighRam11

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
2011 with 216,000 miles. As much preventative maintenance as I’ve done, I feel it really comes down to tackling the issues as soon as they pop up. These HEMIs can be finicky (esp 2011, 2012). I had cam/lifter failure basically right after I bought it (115,000 miles), coolant leaks, water pump replaced, exhaust manifold, etc. The UCAs also seem to be a problem as well (esp with larger wheels, tires). At the end of the day, they’re fun trucks to drive and I’ve never received so many compliments, but you gotta pay to play.