Looking for a Dually

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Trident39

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
Hi Everyone,

I am in need of a dually and for the past several months on and off I have been doing my research and trying to figure out what will best suit my needs. Between all the major brands like Chevy, Dodge, Ford, GMC, etc I picked a 2013 + Ram 3500.

I'll be using this vehicle to tow 40'+ car haul trailers/goose neck flat beds. Ideally i'm looking for something 2013 and newer with under 60K miles, automatic, with the AISIN transmission. I don't need any luxury features, though nice, this is strictly going to be a work truck and maybe up to 10% of the time recreational towing/driving. Is there a model or specific designation I should select for narrowing down dually searches in car finder criteria? Seems like all the duallys are Tradesman.

Can anyone tell me of anything else I should know or look out for when looking at trucks? I am finally at a point where i'm ready to pull the trigger on the right truck. I live in the PNW so #1 criteria will be trucks with no rust or history of rust belt ownership.

Thanks!

Thendrix

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
The Tradesman is the work truck for Dodge. My 2500 is a Tradesman and it's plenty comfortable. Only thing I miss from my loaded Silverado is the CD player and seat heaters. If it was me I believe I'd look at a 4500 as well. It doesn't take much on a 40' trailer to get heavy

olyelr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
. I live in the PNW so #1 criteria will be trucks with no rust or history of rust belt ownership.

Thanks!

I think your on the right track for everything, but know 100% for sure that you are on the right track with that statement.

El Chupacabra

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
Hi Everyone,

I am in need of a dually and for the past several months on and off I have been doing my research and trying to figure out what will best suit my needs. Between all the major brands like Chevy, Dodge, Ford, GMC, etc I picked a 2013 + Ram 3500.

I'll be using this vehicle to tow 40'+ car haul trailers/goose neck flat beds. Ideally i'm looking for something 2013 and newer with under 60K miles, automatic, with the AISIN transmission. I don't need any luxury features, though nice, this is strictly going to be a work truck and maybe up to 10% of the time recreational towing/driving. Is there a model or specific designation I should select for narrowing down dually searches in car finder criteria? Seems like all the duallys are Tradesman.

Can anyone tell me of anything else I should know or look out for when looking at trucks? I am finally at a point where i'm ready to pull the trigger on the right truck. I live in the PNW so #1 criteria will be trucks with no rust or history of rust belt ownership.

Thanks!
Look at Steve White Motors in Hickory North Carolina. I bought my 2015 Dually (2WD) new with 25 miles on it for 42k. I have 71k on it (39k pulling my 40 ft Voltage loaded) I have had ZERO issues, granted I don't have the AISIN trans but I love it still. 17-19MPG city and interstate 70-80 MPH, 12-15 Pulling the Toy Hauler (easy on the gas peddle and watching your boost)

JSMITH8505

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CUMMINS
I too did a lot of research before deciding on my 3500 Dually Cummins/Aisan 3.73 /Longbed configured model for my Hotshot business. This is the chart I used to decide on the configuration.

The 6 Cylinder Cummins has never lacked torque or power when needed, and it seems to have better fuel economy on the open road than a somewhat thirstier V8 by other manufacturers.

Here's a good resource for the RAM towing capacity: It's funny how different the tow capacities are between short and long bed, Crew and Mega Cab, (and even those without beds), as well as those equipped with the high output Aisin Transmissions.

This is the chart I've saved for the 3500's, but there are some out there that do the 2500 also, which seems almost the same, except for the rear suspension which is heavier duty on the 3500.

https://www.ramtrucks.com/content/dam/fca-brands/na/ramtrucks/en_us/towing/2018 Ram 3500.pdf