Looking for a headlight wiring diagram for trucks with quad headlights….

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram 1500 Limited 4X4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hey guys, looking for a friend who has the quad headlights and I’m just curious where I’d find a headlight plug diagram to see if the trucks that have the quad headlights have that same dedicated DRL wire like the trucks with the premium projector headlights do.

Thanks.

Black-Wolf

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
There are no trucks that have "quad" headlights as an OEM option for any 4th Gen model. If it's a newer model, I probably can't help, but here's the one that applies to most 4th Gen models. Of note: All the premiums have the option for DRL - but unless your vehicle was sent to a state or Canada, DRL is not always enabled. I don't know if all the base models have DRL, but since Canada requires it by law, they probably do. I've provided both 4th Gen Wiring diagrams for comparison and reference. Good luck!

Attachments

• EXTERIOR-LIGHTING-SYSTEM---PREMIUM.pdf
    613.8 KB · Views: 3
  • EXTERIOR-LIGHTING-SYSTEM---BASE.pdf
    536.7 KB · Views: 2
OP
OP
corneileous

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
There are no trucks that have "quad" headlights as an OEM option for any 4th Gen model. If it's a newer model, I probably can't help, but here's the one that applies to most 4th Gen models. Of note: All the premiums have the option for DRL - but unless your vehicle was sent to a state or Canada, DRL is not always enabled. I don't know if all the base models have DRL, but since Canada requires it by law, they probably do. I've provided both 4th Gen Wiring diagrams for comparison and reference. Good luck!
I’ve heard a lot of people call the non-premium/non-projector reflector headlights as quad headlights but whatever the case, I’m talking about the regular halogen reflector headlights.

I’m pretty sure that whenever the DRL’s are activated from the factory or dealer in those trucks that have those headlights, it’s the highbeams on a little bit lower intensity, which is why they may not have what I’m looking for but since the premium projector headlights have the dedicated DRL wire, I was wondering if these headlights do too.

Black-Wolf

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Gotcha - and I think you're correct... So, my truck is "premium" and it didn't have DRL activated. It's a special code the dealer has to request from the factory for those states that require it, or for when they can "charge" extra for it. My dealer claimed it wasn't an option, but he was full of **** - you can use Alpha OBD and an appropriate OBD scanner (I use an MX+ OBD) to activate the DRLs without having to deal with the dealer (heh!). The BCM controlls wether the DRLs function or not. The Alpha OBD can program the Highbeams, the low beams, or the parking lights/turn signals to function as DRLs. The normal option is (I believe) for parking/turn signals to be the DRLs but I could be wrong on that. Pre-2022 or maybe earlier, it was always an "option" on trucks that didn't get shipped to a state/country where it was required by law. I believe all current model years now require and have it enabled, but again, I could be wrong on that.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
Dealers could have setup my 2016 DS Ram with DRLs

BUT, they don't want to take the time
They actually lied to me & said that Canadian Computers are different than the US Ram units
The Hardware is identical & the software in computers made for use in the USA have the same Software, but in the US, it has not been activated.

I do not know if things changed when the DT models came out in 2018

dealers can do it using a WiTech

comment from another customer

new-011-jpg.jpg
You have to get DRL as a dealer installed option and then reconfiguring the vehicle using the wiTECH. I got both my 2016 Ram sport and my 2015 Rebel turned on. Ask the dealership service dept to call the area rep and have the code "LM5" added to your VIN. I got both mine turned on for free.

Attachments​

another method

DRL ENABLE

I recall rather complete discussions about activating DRLs on older Gen4 Rams

It took place on the Ram Forum with the Z
if i recall correctly, the dealership, using WiTech, had to go through about 5 steps to activate DRLs

I don't think dealers even have the WiTechs any longer

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
I’m just curious where I’d find a headlight plug diagram to see if the trucks that have the quad headlights have that same dedicated DRL wire like the trucks with the premium projector headlights do.
The trucks with the Quads (or reflector type) headlights do not have the dedicated DRL wires up to the headlights. The SLT platform and above should have the Dedicated DRL wires at the plug under the fuse box. That where I added the pigtails to add the Dedicated DRL wires.
Read through this post to find the DRL wires in the plug under the fuse box: https://www.ramforum.com/threads/what-kind-of-headlights-do-i-have.170404/

Last edited:

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
The BCM controlls wether the DRLs function or not. The Alpha OBD can program the Highbeams, the low beams, or the parking lights/turn signals to function as DRLs.
There's an option for "Dedicated" that is a separate wire which allows a drop out option that turns off when the turn signals are activated.

OP
OP
corneileous

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The trucks with the Quads (or reflector type) headlights do not have the dedicated DRL wires up to the headlights. The SLT platform and above should have the Dedicated DRL wires at the plug under the fuse box. That where I added the pigtails to add the Dedicated DRL wires.
Read through this post to find the DRL wires in the plug under the fuse box: https://www.ramforum.com/threads/what-kind-of-headlights-do-i-have.170404/
That’s kinda what I figured being that on those trucks, the default DRLs is the highbeams at a lower intensity, right?

OP
OP
corneileous

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
There's an option for "Dedicated" that is a separate wire which allows a drop out option that turns off when the turn signals are activated.
Actually all modes of designated DRLs work with the DRL dropout feature.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Actually all modes of designated DRLs work with the DRL dropout feature.
There have been a few people report the high and low beams DRLs stop working when used with the drop out option.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
That’s kinda what I figured being that on those trucks, the default DRLs is the highbeams at a lower intensity, right?
Not sure if it's a default but that's usually what I see around here and on Canadian trucks that venture over to Detroit. I think the reduced intensity is about 6 or 7 volts

OP
OP
corneileous

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
There have been a few people report the high and low beams DRLs stop working when used with the drop out option.
Really? Hmm.... I dont know why they would unless something happened when re-designating the lighting for the DRL's but then again, I haven't tried using my high beams or low beams as DRL's so I wouldn't know. I have tried my fog lights as DRL's and I know for a fact the DRL dropout still works when those are selected.

OP
OP
corneileous

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Not sure if it's a default but that's usually what I see around here and on Canadian trucks that venture over to Detroit. I think the reduced intensity is about 6 or 7 volts
From what it sounds like to me being that the trucks with the premium projectors have the dedicated DRL wires and the trucks with the regular quad-halogen headlights dont, even for the Canadian trucks, the trucks with premium projectors are default turn signals for DRL's and probably for the trucks with the regular halogens, its the high beams at a lower intensity.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Really? Hmm.... I dont know why they would unless something happened when re-designating the lighting for the DRL's but then again, I haven't tried using my high beams or low beams as DRL's so I wouldn't know. I have tried my fog lights as DRL's and I know for a fact the DRL dropout still works when those are selected.
I'm relaying what other people have reported when enabling the high or low beams as DRLs along with using the drop out option. The factory highs or lows don't use the drop out option.

I don't even think the factory projector headlights use the dedicated DRL wire, it was probably included for a headlight that didn't make it to production something that included a Halo or Brow light. The factory reflector headlight wiring harness was the same one used since 2009. The Dual and Quad headlights use the same truck side harness, a program change in the BCM is needed for the headlight type.

hunterdan

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 classic
Engine
5.7 Hemi
As @crash68 said, most trucks should have the dedicated wiring under the fuse box, but you'll have to add the extra pigtails to add the wiring, and then enable the dedicated drl option via Alfaobd. I've done this on my 19 classic.

OP
OP
corneileous

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm relaying what other people have reported when enabling the high or low beams as DRLs along with using the drop out option. The factory highs or lows don't use the drop out option.
You’d think they would because the whole purpose of the DRL dropout is so that when you have your DRL’s activated, you’d want the high beam or low beam DRL on that side to go out so that they’re not hindering the visibility of the turn signal on that side but who knows. Like I said, I’ve never selected my highs or lows as DRL’s so I have no idea.
I don't even think the factory projector headlights use the dedicated DRL wire, it was probably included for a headlight that didn't make it to production something that included a Halo or Brow light.
I’m 100% certain- at least on my truck anyways and it’s a 2018 that on the factory projector headlights, the dedicated DRL wire is most certainly used because like in my truck, whether I select “dedicated” or “turn signal” for designated DRL‘s, I will get the same exact result that makes my front amber LED strips as the DRLs. I’ve tried it both ways and even before I got Alfa when I had the dealer activate my DRLs, it showed on Alfa that “dedicated” was selected.

My take on why they did it this way is because like on the Durango, the 300 and a couple others that had factory white LED DRLs, they probably had the Ram headlights wired in such a way- even though they didn’t have white led DRLs, so that irregardless of what vehicle on the line that had to have the DRLs enabled, it was the same procedure for every vehicle; well, except for the vehicles that didn’t have the dedicated DRL wiring to the headlights.

Makes sense to be because if you think about it, if that wasn’t why then A, why didn’t they just make the Ram projector headlights the same way they did the Durango headlights that look like smaller replicas of the Ram headlights that do have white LED DRL’s or B, not even have the DRL wire on the headlight side of the harness when they’re made the way they actually are?

OP
OP
corneileous

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
As @crash68 said, most trucks should have the dedicated wiring under the fuse box, but you'll have to add the extra pigtails to add the wiring, and then enable the dedicated drl option via Alfaobd. I've done this on my 19 classic.
Hmm, news to me. I just told the guy who was asking about all this to just figure out what wire in his new aftermarket headlights goes to the white DRLs and then just run those wires to the ignition coil circuit in his fuse box using a fuse tap which would give him the desired results being that he may not even have those dedicated DRL wires anywhere.

hunterdan

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 classic
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Hmm, news to me. I just told the guy who was asking about all this to just figure out what wire in his new aftermarket headlights goes to the white DRLs and then just run those wires to the ignition coil circuit in his fuse box using a fuse tap which would give him the desired results being that he may not even have those dedicated DRL wires anywhere.
The really low trim level tricks may not have them, but bighorn/slt trucks and up should. Like I said, you need to pull the fuse box, find the harness, and re-pin the connector to add the wiring, but it's not hard and gives you full control of the drl settings, either via Alfaobd or through the 8.4.