Looking For Advice On Throttle Body

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JoeRam14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I was thinking about getting a ported throttle body for my truck (5.7). What I've managed to find are either ported from a stock throttle body that seem to have a tapered design going to a stock size where the body meets the intake manifold or I have found ones that are milled from new stock and have a larger bore that goes all the way through. Question is which design is better?

Johnsram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Wrong forum...you should be in Gen 4. I've had good luck with the milled ones...but that's a different tb. Apparently, for -04, they make them to last only a few years.

Last edited:
OP
OP
JoeRam14

JoeRam14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Wrong forum...you should be in Gen 4. I've had good luck with the milled ones...but that's a different tb. Apparently, for -04, they make them to last on a few years.

My mistake, I thought this was the right section for my 04.

OP
OP
JoeRam14

JoeRam14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Oh...it is. I was reading your sig.

I realized after I posted that when I signed up autocorrect must have changed my year. But my truck is actually an 04

Johnsram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Are you replacing the tb because it's shot, or for more power? I've had my '04 for 15 years and have replaced the tb 4 times. I don't drive it as much as I used to because I have other vehicles. I use it for plowing, hauling and towing exclusively now.

OP
OP
JoeRam14

JoeRam14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Are you replacing the tb because it's shot, or for more power? I've had my '04 for 15 years and have replaced the tb 4 times. I don't drive it as much as I used to because I have other vehicles. I use it for plowing, hauling and towing exclusively now.

Nothing wrong with the throttle body, just looking for something that will give a little better throttle response.

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Keep your stock one clean, more air doesn't do any good if the engine doesn't have a way to use it. Save the few hundred bucks for something more worthwhile at the moment.

WilliamS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Keep your stock one clean, more air doesn't do any good if the engine doesn't have a way to use it. Save the few hundred bucks for something more worthwhile at the moment.

This times a million! A larger TB will not add power on its own as the truck needs to now get rid or more air, needs more fuel, and timing to all add to the power! So if you havent changed to a free flowing exhaust, tuner, and TB then your gains will all be placebo. Like adding a NOS sticker, or racing stripes.

Last edited:
OP
OP
JoeRam14

JoeRam14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ok, makes sense to me. Maybe I'll look elsewhere as a starting point. How any a tuner? Would that do me any good? I do already have the basics like a cold air intake and a cat back along with upgraded y pipe.

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Ok, makes sense to me. Maybe I'll look elsewhere as a starting point. How any a tuner? Would that do me any good? I do already have the basics like a cold air intake and a cat back along with upgraded y pipe.
Best for your year of you're not cracking the engine open would be Superchips, a used 3865 if you can find one (cheaper). I dunno what their latest model number is.

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
JoeRam14

JoeRam14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I'll take a look around the net and see what I can find for a decent tuner.

Jason G Slabaugh

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7l hemi
Full exhaust like headers? Shorties worth while or just go long tube?
Yes I'd do headers, even shorties are good enough. From what I've learned shorties are better for low to mid rpms, long tubes are better for high rpm, either flow better than stock manifolds

OP
OP
JoeRam14

JoeRam14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yes I'd do headers, even shorties are good enough. From what I've learned shorties are better for low to mid rpms, long tubes are better for high rpm, either flow better than stock manifolds

I think shorties might be the direction I end up going.

Jason G Slabaugh

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7l hemi
Thats what I'd do, seeing how most my driving is under 4k rpms, I baby my truck until I need not to. Sometimes I gotta unleash the beast lol

OP
OP
JoeRam14

JoeRam14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thats what I'd do, seeing how most my driving is under 4k rpms, I baby my truck until I need not to. Sometimes I gotta unleash the beast lol

I drive basically the same way, pretty casual most of the time but I like to know the power is there if I need it.