Looking for help changing oil in my 5.7l Hemi 2015 Ram

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Riccochet

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 2500 Laramie Longhorn
Engine
Truck on ramps, drain pan, punch hole in back side of filter facing rear of truck and let drain. Throw a plastic shopping bag over the EPS motor and control arm mount. Unscrew filter, screw on new filter, remove bag. No mess anywhere. I've not dripped a drop of oil on anything below the filter.

Even the tech at the dealer was impressed. lol Said most DIY oil changers come in with the everything below the filter looking terrible.

fredansandy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The first oil change on my truck was a battle between me and the filter (see attached photo). Since then, it has been a breeze. I use a gallon plastic bag around the filter when I loosen it to catch the oil so it doesn't run down my arm.

Attachments

• Oil Filter.jpg
    Oil Filter.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 67

lukedukem

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Mines a '14 Hemi, I take it back to the dealer and they charge $17.00 to change the oil and filter I bring (I use Mobile 1 5W-30 and a Mann filter). I got a book of $700.00 worth of service tickets with purchase ($25.00 each), so just give them one at each oil change, it only has 12,600 miles and has had 3 oil changes already. The reason I go back to the dealer is for documentation, I have a lifetime powertrain warranty.

i would think they want you to use their oil for proper warranty coverage, but they let you bring in your choice of oil? just wondering if you verified with them that your choice in oil is approved for your motor and that they will cover any warranty claims.

Luke

Jmhm17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
I gave up doing my own oil changes on this truck. Unless you have a lift or are a contortionist its a pain in the ass, plus it cost more to do it your self. If you buy an oil change plan you get 2 free as its 80 bucks for 4 and its 40 bucks an oil change - you do the math.

I end up getting so pissed off changing the filter, smashing my head on the plow mounts and getting stuck on the creeper under my truck cause my drive way is borderline gravel, and I tweak my neck every time. Oh not to mention the post that the filter screws onto is like 6 inches long, so you spend 2 min unscrewing it thinking "ok when is this thing going to let go" and your NEVER ready for it because you have like 2 fingers on it and it spills everywhere. Just talking about it makes me mad lol.

So with that said I have a dealership I trust do it, and they always do a good job, they dont crank on the filter or the plug, and they throw in free rotation..

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
The first oil change on my truck was a battle between me and the filter (see attached photo). Since then, it has been a breeze. I use a gallon plastic bag around the filter when I loosen it to catch the oil so it doesn't run down my arm.
I've been there. Next time, stick a long screwdriver through it to twist.

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

aldair_feliciano

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
It's really really easy to get to the filter once you put the front on ramps then get underneath it between the bumper and the sway bar and there it is clear as daylight your whole are fits in there

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

UDCentaur

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Laramie
Engine
Suggestions on good quality ramps for use with this truck?

EagleChief

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Big Horn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I let my dealer change it for me. $29.99 including oil and filter. I don't think I can change it myself for cheaper than that. For another $10 they rotate my tires every other oil change.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

SyN

6.7L CTD Owner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 4WD - Tow Prep Pkg - Off-Road Pkg - 3:42s w/Anti-Slip
Engine
6.7L CTD
Chief: Does your dealer give you access to witnessing your actual oil change?

Do you know exactly what Oil is going into your 5.7L?

I am ONLY curious! Some owners could care less as long as it's being done for them.

Last edited:

Nanuk

Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 RAM 1500 Big Horn Crew Cab
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yes it costs more to do yourself but you know it's done right .... I Get under my truck with no problem and I ain't slim but truck does have a level kit , filter cup wrench with 3/8 Rachete , plastic bag over axle and control arm and done in under 25 mins. I don't have the time to wait a a dealer sipping a latte watching someone work ... Tire rotation that's a horse of a different color .... Them 20"ers are heavy !!!

EagleChief

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Big Horn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Chief: Does your dealer give you access to witnessing your actual oil change?

Do you know exactly what Oil is going into your 5.7L?

I am ONLY curious! Some owners could care less as long as it's being done for them.
Yes. I actually watch the whole process. 1 guy under the truck in the pit to drain and change the filter, 2 guys up top checking fluids, inspecting everything, and adding the oil. Penzoil 5w-30 is what they use. I've never used Penzoil before, but I'm going with Chrysler recommendation.

Reactions: SyN

SyN

6.7L CTD Owner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
Has this dealership ever offered you an option for Pennzoil Platinum? Nothing wrong with PYB. The 5W-30 is interesting as well. Thumbs Up to the dealership.
I've never taken any of my autos to the dealer for oil changes so I am only curious.

Last edited:

EagleChief

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Big Horn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
No, but I haven't asked, either. I just asked when I first went in out of curiosity. I've always used Mobil-1 in my past few vehicles.

I was talking oil with my neighbor the other day, helping him change his oil, and he uses synthetic. He either does it himself, or takes his to the same dealer. He has a '15 Power Wagon. Changes his oil every 3k, even with synthetic. But, now I don't remember what brand he uses.

SyN

6.7L CTD Owner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
3K mile OCI with a synthetic? He must really feel he works that motor. Nothing wrong with changing it early.

I myself was a life long M1 user. Until the Hemi! PUP has me brainwashed now. Going with OLM for my OCI.

Last edited:

Hootbro

U.S. Army Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 Express 4x4
Engine
Pentastar 3.6L
3K mile OCI with a synthetic? He must really feel he works that motor. ..................

My money says he is stuck in the 1970's and has the 3K OCI interval burned into his brain and will take it to his grave thinking that.

EagleChief

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Big Horn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Yea, he knows he can go longer with the synthetic oil, but he's just set in his 3k mile change. He even said the guys at the dealership (he has a better relationship with them than I do) give him a hard time for changing it so often.

jag1886

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Demi 5.7 S&B CAI, flowmaster merge collector, Gibson cat back, oil catch can, 87
Put on a remote filter like I did makes oil changes real easy.