Looking for new Shocks

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Stopher249

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hello, I am looking for new struts/shocks for my 2011 Longhorn. Not looking to get it lifted just solid shock for a better ride. Also wondering if I need to replace the coil springs aswell. please let me know if you guys have any recommendations. I don't think my use warrants getting Bilstiens but I have heard good things about them but if there is something that will fill my needs while not breaking the bank let me know.

Lstadelmeier

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I agree with Benwade. I used the Monroe quick struts on my titan and Bilsteins rear. Great combo, Just make sure you use the proper torque on the struts or the cushion will squeek and drive you nuts

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
I'd still get bills, not HD but 5100 series. I had both, HD are too firm, ride height adjust is a great feature, and changes firmness, at 2.8 a lot of travel but less firm then 2.1. 2.1 is likely better on ball joints and cv joints as less travel would help that. The best shock not 5100 that I ever had on all my 4x4's was red tube kyb's, firm but good rebound, so when you are down in a ditch it pushes you out not flattening like rancho's which I hated. I always get poly bushings when I get new shocks, do it once do it right.

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Sounds like a nice truck!

Another consideration is the OEM-grade Mopar shocks. They're going to give a good smooth ride..if that's what you're looking for. They cost a lot more, I agree, but should last the longest. Depends how long you plan to keep your truck. RockAuto or Amazon are good places to buy them.

Are you going to install them yourself?

OP
OP
S

Stopher249

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

Another consideration is the OEM-grade Mopar shocks. They're going to give a good smooth ride..if that's what you're looking for. They cost a lot more, I agree, but should last the longest. Depends how long you plan to keep your truck. RockAuto or Amazon are good places to buy them.

I probably could but Im gonn get a few quotes. Don’t want to mess anything up and I’d have to get an pigment after I think either way

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Has anyone ever tried the FCS shocks from Amazon? They're like $14 (rear) and $16 (Fronts) ea. No Kidding!. I usually buy Mopar stuff....but I mean...just as a test to see if they're going to surprise anyone?

OP
OP
S

Stopher249

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

Should replace the rear springs aswell ?

Daw14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
No alignment is necessary when you replace shocks.

OP
OP
S

Stopher249

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
in the videos ive watched you need to disconnect the sway bar and a few other things to remove the shocks on the 4wd

Bigskyroadglide

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7, supercharged
in the videos ive watched you need to disconnect the sway bar and a few other things to remove the shocks on the 4wd
I've put bilstein 5100s as well as Kybs and Monroes on the rear of multiple 4x4 ram 1500s without disconnecting anything except the shock. You do need to remove the inner fender liner or its a real PIA..

You are correct for the front

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

Stopher249

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Absolutely 100% false information. I've put bilstein 5100s as well as Kybs and Monroes on the rear of multiple 4x4 ram 1500s without disconnecting anything except the shock. You do need to remove the inner fender liner or its a real PIA..
ya the rear looks simple enough but the front is the issue.

Bigskyroadglide

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7, supercharged
The front is time consuming but not difficult. On the front you need to take a bit more apart but it's a 2 hour per wheel job max. The biggest issue is not killing yourself with the springs, if you need to transfer them to the new struts.

OP
OP
S

Stopher249

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
alright, I don't have a torque gun will that be an issue ?

OP
OP
S

Stopher249

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
No, you can do with simple hand tools. I hope you have a pry bar. That you will needto get the bottom of the front struts back in
if I do go to a shop what would be a reasonable price for the front end replacement assuming I supply the parts

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Have you done the 'bounce test' to determine if the current shocks are 'bad'? There are y/t videos on how to test.

Most repair shops don't really like it when people take their own parts. For one thing what if some parts a customer brings in are wrong, don't fit very well, or defective and/or are of unknown quality (to the mechanic)? Some smaller shops might ok with that....best to ask in advance and get the "ok" on it. Or maybe it's a buddy you know and you already have it 'cleared'.

Last edited:

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
if I do go to a shop what would be a reasonable price for the front end replacement assuming I supply the parts
Sadly gone are the days of the 25 bucks per corner shock installs, it wasn't that long ago, but since manu's have gotten stupid with what it takes to replace shocks, it has transformed what independents can charge. To make it worse, less choice, many shops that will give you a deal will be like a choice of 3 brands or so, two house brands and maybe Monroe's. I would call around and check les shuab usually they are fair on 4 corner shock replacement, but ask them if you can get kyb or bills and just price check. Call all they shops like midas, les shuab, pep boys, and just find the balance choice versus labor. No way would I opt for no name house brand, they can pound sand.

I did a 4 corner shock install not on a ram but a sedan last year, 2 guys 7 solid hours and had to loosen steering knuckle no lie. This is why shops don't have shock packages anymore. So many people are disappointed when they find out their vehicle doesn't qualify for a shock packages which used to be like milk and eggs, things shops used to use to bring people in. Now if you see any shock packages it will be ambiguous on pricing. Used to be 25 bucks a corner and sometimes 379 plus taxes out the door including shocks. Auto manu's destroyed the industry with impossible to replace items. Probably on purpose, make more money in their shops, but there is a reason why we use the term good ol days.

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Good point!
I agree.... a lot more WORK (labor) than it used to be. Therefore it almost makes more sense to "invest" in as good of a shock a guy can afford, or makes sense for his situation, that will (hopefully) last a long time. :waytogo: