Looking for users of maxlife in zf843re transmissions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ram150022

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I would like to know how many members have used valve line max life in their 8 speed zf843re automatic transmissions? And what were your impressions after the change, was it better or no difference? Thanks

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
This from shocking truth about zf fluid thread, there is next to zero difference between zf8 fluid and maxlife, and many users here as well have said the same thing. The reason this was shocking is because zf8 fluid was supposed to be pao group 4 oil, but clearly it is similar to maxlife in base oil. In that thread you see real pao base oils and the difference in those properties I just posted, much lower pour points.

ZF Fluid

Viscosity at 100°C 5.6
Pour point -42°C

Maxlife multi-

Viscosity at 100°C 5.9
Pour Point -42c
Add a impressive VI at 163
Very decent fluid.

joesstripclub

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500 PW
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I can't really say I noticed any difference (other than price), but I changed around 30k miles. I did run Redline D6 for a while but it seemed like it wanted to slip a little. Could have been in my head, but I swapped to maxlife to be safe. Towed my side by side in a cargo trailer all around the mountains in colorado this year with no issues.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
When not to use redline thread, live and learn. The theory was because redline is pao and the paper was zf8's needed pao, that d6 would be the perfect oil. However, as it turns out the zf8 doesnt need pao and zf8 fluid isnt pao, look at pour points, so actually using a pao can have a possibility to leave it slippery. Many guys do run d6 without issue, but if I had a zf8 I wouldnt use d6. There is nothing better then redline c+ for the rfe, but due to the operating temp of the zf8 plus the fact d6 provides a better film, this has produced some slip in some transmissions, but not the rfe.

joesstripclub

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500 PW
Engine
Hemi 6.4
When not to use redline thread, live and learn. The theory was because redline is pao and the paper was zf8's needed pao, that d6 would be the perfect oil. However, as it turns out the zf8 doesnt need pao and zf8 fluid isnt pao, look at pour points, so actually using a pao can have a possibility to leave it slippery. Many guys do run d6 without issue, but if I had a zf8 I wouldnt use d6. There is nothing better then redline c+ for the rfe, but due to the operating temp of the zf8 plus the fact d6 provides a better film, this has produced some slip in some transmissions, but not the rfe.
I can't remember what I found when I looked previously, but would D4 be a better match to the 8 speed? I don't think you can beat the price of maxlife, but just curious for those who may prefer redline.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
I can't remember what I found when I looked previously, but would D4 be a better match to the 8 speed? I don't think you can beat the price of maxlife, but just curious for those who may prefer redline.
I think it would, forgot about that. So the d4 is the "less" slippery version of atf, and worth consideration for sure. Mostly used in manual gear boxes, it is old school gl-4 fluid and now we are on the next spec gl-5. Now, redline says d6 is spec'd for 8 speed, but we know that is hit or miss. If you look at pours points d4 is a true pao/ester oil, so it will handle the heat of the zf8 better then any other fluid except other pao fluids. But I'm not sure it is suitable, I havent researched this one, and since redline says use d6, under d6 spec they say this ZF-LG 6, 6+ and 8 fluids. So if you are asking me, I say use maxlife. If there is a situation where the zf8 is running way to hot and cant solve it, look into d4 or amsoil ss.

aces-n-eights

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
For what it's worth... I have a '16 and hit 60k miles about 6 months ago. I decided to change the diffs and transfer case lubes. Because i bought the truck with about 35k miles on it and didn't know how it had been used previously, i decided to change the transmission fluid as well.

The trans pan was remarkably clean, virtually no metal on the magnets - maybe i didn't need to change it. Oh well. Replaced the fluid with Maxlife and since then have done a 2500 mile road trip and many trips around town with absolutely no change in how the transmission performs.