Looking to buy a newer truck

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HeavyD

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 SOHC 5 SP Auto
As it says i'm looking to buy a newer or new truck.

Im looking for feedback on how good the trucks are & what years are best.

The only reason im looking for maybe a new truck, because the deals they have going on & I then know no one has abused it.

I will be going with a V8 (6.4L or 5.7L) or 6 cylinder diesel.

& if im going new then im going with the new style - not classic.

By brother has a 2012 Ram 2500 (forget what ver) but is not happy with it.

Note I live in Canada, so the $ are higher than you expect, & diesels are only 10 - 15 K more than gas.

Let me know what you think, Thanx.

ParamG

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ecodiesel
Dont buy unless you get 0 percent for 7 years or 1.25 for 8 years

The 2.99 is like 188 a month of your pmt goes to interest.

I had the 2018 and 2019 ram 1500 classics they got me about the best mileage I got was 13.5 litwrs per 100km about 725 to 750 a tank
With 80 percent highway commute

Now I have the 2020 rebel and its not as fast off the line but personally driveS better then the gas.

With my tonneau cover it runs 8.5l to 9.5l per 100km anout 1050 to 1100 km a tank

I used to pay for 89 in the hemis as thats recommended at about 135 bux a week on gas

The eco can go about 2 weeks usually Monday to the next Friday it will need diesel

Its fill up is about 100 dollars every 2 weeks

If your driving 70 km or more a day the eco is better imo

The hemi was fine when my daily commute was 55km but since I worked at Toyota it would bleed me gas at about 500 a month

It was cheaper to buy a jetta tdi and insure it and diesel it to drive to work or i could spend the same amount on hemi fuel

star_deceiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
What do plan on doing with said truck?
Do you tow everyday? Often? Once a month? Never?
Do you enjoy stoplight drags?
Do you live life in the slow lane?
Long daily commute? Sunday mallcrawler?
Do your own maintenance?
Is warranty important?
Tradesman, Laramie, or Limited?
Do you have deep enough pockets to keep the tank full? Or are you walking into the dealer, swiping your debit card for $80000 and driving away in your new ride?

If you buy the wrong truck for what and how you like to drive, you’re going to be unhappy.

OP
OP
HeavyD

HeavyD

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 SOHC 5 SP Auto
It will be for vacation once a year, mostly DD
& yes will be paying all cash.

My current is an 04 Dodge Ram 1500 & 4.7l (heavily modded) & I dont feel like fixing anymore - needs some rust fix & tranny.

I do drag from the light some times & love the feel of power when i want it (not need it)

I do want leather interior & do most of the maintenance on my truck, but might change if I buy new.

& fuel is not a concern - first time i said that.

& dont need 4X4, even though it would help for the winter.

ParamG

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ecodiesel
If your paying cash the ecodiesel is the best fuel and resale wise id get 4x4 for resale and winter.

Gas hemi will cost more in fuel 89 and 500 km less a tank.

Do you quad or anything else a dieswl rebel is nice for quadding

star_deceiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
He seems to keep his vehicle for a long time. Out of warranty diesel repairs are never cheap.

Stoplight drags in a diesel will always result in that Corolla getting in front of you and slowing down.

Fuel economy isn’t everything and neither Hemi or eco will get great economy when it’s -30.

Take a couple different trucks (5.7, 6.4, 3.0 6.7) for some hooligan rips and see which you like best.

star_deceiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Are you ready to DD an unloaded dually everyday? Also, be aware of the CP4 issues that are popping up.

Remember: Give’er hell on the test drive!

OP
OP
HeavyD

HeavyD

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 SOHC 5 SP Auto
Have no problem with dually.
& I do not tow much but want to take a long holiday coming up.
& if I buy a smaller truck then I would buy a motorhome.
The same dealership that has the dually has 2 other 1500's that are all black & a 1500 that is dark blue
but 1500 all have 5.7l.

& the cummins because I want an engine that should last the life of the truck.

TWILLIAMS9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Any of the motors are fine for longevity. If you plan to tow north of 8,000 lbs get a Cummins. If you plan to tow north of 15,000 lbs frequently, get the HO. If you need more than 4,000 pounds of payload, get the dually.

For reference, we have a 16,000 lb fifth wheel we tow at most once a month and I chose a 3500 mega cab SO. I hated how the aisin shifted when unloaded. However, my application does not warrant the additional expense and imo worse overall driving experience, of the aisin. But your money, do what you want.

star_deceiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
While the Cummins short block will last, don’t be so sure about it’s ancillary components (CP4, turbo actuator, RFE transmission, all those temperamental DPF components)

The Cummins trucks do their best, make sense financially, and have the least amount of problems when they’re loaded and towing full time. They’re designed to work and do that work very well.

Elkman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6
Carcomplaints.com and Consumer Reports provide information based on input from owners for vehicles and make it easy to avoid problem years. With Ram I would go with a 2017 or 2018 Ram 1500 for a used truck and avoid 2012 through 2016 and 2019 model years.