Lower control arm ball joint replacement

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

stimpy433

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Can you replace the ball joint on an OEM lower control arm??? I have a 2014 1500 4x4 regular cab truck. Thanks in advance!!!

hemihustlin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
If I was doing it myself I would change the whole table for the convenience and ease of installation. If not you would have to look at the ball joint see if it can be popped out and pressed in again. sometimes they are not changeable.

OP
OP
stimpy433

stimpy433

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Dealership said it has to all be changed out, but my mechanic said the ball joint is listed by itself and doesn't think you need to repair the lower control arm itself....

Fast69Mopar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Can you replace the ball joint on an OEM lower control arm??? I have a 2014 1500 4x4 regular cab truck. Thanks in advance!!!
The lower ball joints are easily replaceable with the proper tools. I get the Master Pro lower ball joints for your truck from O'reilly's with my commercial account for $26.08 each and the Moog lower for $49.65

OP
OP
stimpy433

stimpy433

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The lower ball joints are easily replaceable with the proper tools. I get the Master Pro lower ball joints for your truck from O'reilly's with my commercial account for $26.08 each and the Moog lower for $49.65
Awesome, that's what we thought.... dealership wanted $2,000 to replace whole lower control arm, but my mechanic is only gonna charge me $250 to replace the ball joint. Talk about dealership rip off, $605 for the lower control arm itself!!!!

Thanks for the reply!!!!

Fast69Mopar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Awesome, that's what we thought.... dealership wanted $2,000 to replace whole lower control arm, but my mechanic is only gonna charge me $250 to replace the ball joint. Talk about dealership rip off, $605 for the lower control arm itself!!!!

Thanks for the reply!!!!
The lower control arms are a tad steep. I'm a dealership tech and have been for 22+ years. If you have a good mechanic that is affordable I always recommend to stick with what works for you and your budget.

David H

USA RET
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pretty sure the entire control arm w/ball joint runs around $100 plus they come with new bushings. I might pick one up and give it to my mechanic for install.

Fast69Mopar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
If you are on a tight budget check out the kits from Detroit Axle on Amazon. I have installed plenty of their kits on my customers trucks when they were in a pinch and I have never had a single problem with them. My daily driver has a Detroit Axle kit under the front right now with 92,000 miles on their parts without a single issue.

Bigskyroadglide

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7, supercharged
$85.00 why do all the work for a ball joint that cost 30 to 55 when the entire control arm is 85?

OP
OP
stimpy433

stimpy433

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ball joint replaced, and it went pretty easy overall!!!

ram1500rsm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If you are on a tight budget check out the kits from Detroit Axle on Amazon. I have installed plenty of their kits on my customers trucks when they were in a pinch and I have never had a single problem with them. My daily driver has a Detroit Axle kit under the front right now with 92,000 miles on their parts without a single issue.
Are they made in USA ? If not, do you know replacements for the lowers front control arms that are made in USA ?

Fast69Mopar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Are they made in USA ? If not, do you know replacements for the lowers front control arms that are made in USA ?
Detroit Axle is a global supplier and sources parts from all over the world

ram1500rsm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Do the arms have a made in where? stamped in them ?
Mevotech have Made in China ones.
I think the factory ones are made in Mexico. I don't need front lowers for now but eventually i will.
I'm tyring to see if i need to pay $600 for stockers or go aftermarket, but if aftermarket i'll like something made here. i won't pay for made in China control arms so the stockers will do. Don't know any other lower than can go past the 100k miles. I've been down this road with my Tacos and have no plans to do the same mistakes from the past. I've tried Napa, Moog and Mevocrap. None lasted not even 1/4 of what the stock Toyota arms will hold. For what've seen around people replacing the BJ's with Moogs are changing them shortly after again. My stockers have 106k miles and they're still kicking **** without any single issues, knocking on wood.

Last edited:

Fast69Mopar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Do the arms have a made in where? stamped in them ?
Mevotech have Made in China ones.
I think the factory ones are made in Mexico. I don't need front lowers for now but eventually i will.
I'm tyring to see if i need to pay $600 for stockers or go aftermarket, but if aftermarket i'll like something made here. i won't pay for made in China control arms so the stockers will do. Don't know any other lower than can go past the 100k miles. I've been down this road with my Tacos and have no plans to do the same mistakes from the past. I've tried Napa, Moog and Mevocrap. None lasted not even 1/4 of what the stock Toyota arms will hold. For what've seen around people replacing the BJ's with Moogs are changing them sbortly after again. My stockers have 106k miles and they're still kicking **** without an single issue, knocking on wood.
I have used all brands before but the ones I have the most miles on in my daily driver and some of my customers trucks are the Master Pro line from O'reilly's. They have been solid parts.

Moog and Detroit Axle parts are source from everywhere including China.

PoMansRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi

For sure on that and unfortunately you never know. As much as I hate doorman, I've bought doorman stuff to find OEM parts in the box. Same with some Napa and CarQuest parts.

hemihustlin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
For sure on that and unfortunately you never know. As much as I hate doorman, I've bought doorman stuff to find OEM parts in the box. Same with some Napa and CarQuest parts.
One time I bought a belt tensioner for my 06 hemi at Canadian Tire. It was the cheapest available and it was exactly like the OEM part I removed. Continental box. Made in Canada. I couldn't believe it!
I think thats the only time that I bought the cheapest part available and it wasn't made in china lol

stenerson

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 VVT

Thanks for the reply!!!!

Wow! That's nuts. Anyhow, I've done it several times on my former 3rd Gen. Looks like the same process on ours. I wouldn't recommend Moog ball joints. I've had bad luck with them.

OP
OP
stimpy433

stimpy433

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yeah, my guy said the CarQuest one had all the same markings & part number on it as the OEM one he pulled off..... said more then likely the same manufacturer.