LSD option for 2016 rebel

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MrDazana

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I bought this truck with an open diff. Now that warranty is up, I'd like to add an LSD to my rig. What options do i have for this truck with a 3.92 gear ratio ? I can only seem to find the OEM mopar version of the LSD.

RLJ10X

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
If I had to do it again, I'd do the Trutrac, just because it is supposedly better.

I put in the OEM LSD. For my Med-Light use, it's been all I've ever needed.

bm02tj

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
First winter it did not feel like it was working correctly
Jacked it up and felt like an open diff
Dealer replaced I took it home jacked it up and it still felt like an open diff
went back and was told they changed to one with no preload and to check it you
need to measure spread between side gears it is a joke so I call it junk

Daw14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Get the tru- trac I did and it works excellent. Traction has been greatly improved over the factory one wheel.

kurek

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The lack of preload on the OE LSD is to make it last longer, it works without preload because the traction control loads it up instead. That way the clutches are only loaded when they actually need to be instead of just grinding away any time your highway isn't precisely straight or your tires don't have precisely the same pressure.

The tru-trac is a better feeling differential if your foot's a little heavy because it is always fully engaged, there is never a transition from unloaded to loaded or from preloaded to loaded and it is never trying to be a full lock so it's easier to put power down while going around corners.

bm02tj

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
That is all well and good
I have a 2wd and the hill to my home is 9 and 10% some one with out proper tires got us all stopped on the hill and the only way I could get going again was to turn off traction control and load LSD with E brake I have had trucks with over 250000 K and still work properly
the new ones are JUNK

OP
OP
M

MrDazana

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
thanks for the input. truetrac is the way im gonna go

thanks

62Blazer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
First winter it did not feel like it was working correctly
Jacked it up and felt like an open diff
Dealer replaced I took it home jacked it up and it still felt like an open diff
went back and was told they changed to one with no preload and to check it you
need to measure spread between side gears it is a joke so I call it junk
I'm not saying that there are better LSD's than factory, but your "test" isn't a good indication of how many LSD's work. The physics behind many styles of LSD's is that power going through the driveshaft and then to the tires is what "locks them up". By applying power to the tire you are sending the power backwards. Plus keep in mind that you are nowhere close to spinning the tire by hand the same speed as normal driving conditions If you jack up one rear tire on a TrueTrac diff it will just free spin that tire also, same goes for the Gov-lock in my old Chevy truck, and even full on lockers like a Detroit or Lock-Right.