Magnaflow Cat-Back 19430 Misfit...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OrionR5

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram 1500 Sport
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Hi Guys,
Really need some input here from guys running this exhaust on their 2019 Rams. Yesterday I went to have mine installed at a muffle shop. One I have used before in the past. The tech working on my truck was not a novice installer. He ran into all kinds of issues. Said the brackets were not lining up like it should. After he got the tips aligned with the bumper ports with everything tightened down he ended up with the muffler tight up against the right side frame. Some of the rubber hangers were quite distorted and he said they will eventually break under stress. The left hanger bracket on the muffler itself was going way left and not straight down like the right side muffler bracket.

I don't really understand all of this. I went with a full cat-back system for the ease of installation and not wanting to cut and weld. Is this even possible to have Magnaflow send out a finished product like this.
The installer said the muffler should have had an offset on the inlet pipe. This inlet sits center on the muffler. There is also no play from the pipe from the engine to the muffler. This puts the muffler tight up against the frame. I know this will cause all kinds of banging and knocking on acceleration and idling.

Could the installer have gotten it so wrong. I was there and seen what he had to work with. I had him remove the complete cat-back and re-install my original system. Which is a damn big system. I have taken some pics so you can see what I am referring to. Kinda not sure what do now. I'm out the cost of this installation and the re-install and have no cat-back system on my truck. I also noticed now that when Eco mode kicks in it is now much louder and distinct than before. I'm just so pissed!!!

IMG_20181208_113520.jpg

IMG_20181208_113545.jpg

IMG_20181208_113557.jpg

IMG_20181208_113610.jpg

IMG_20181208_113712.jpg

OP
OP
OrionR5

OrionR5

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram 1500 Sport
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
A close up of the muffler tight up against the frame.

IMG_20181208_113712.jpg

IMG_20181208_115129.jpg

DanBen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The OEM muffler has an offset inlet and offset outlet. I would think the Magnaflow muffler would at least have an offset inlet.

Attached is the OE20181115_073113.jpg 2019 Ram OEM Muffler.jpg M muffler with 5" offset from inlet to outlet.

OP
OP
OrionR5

OrionR5

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram 1500 Sport
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
The inlet on the magnaflow is dead center as you can see from my pics.

MADDOG

Not RamForum Staff
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Those hangers and brackets do look a little off but some time with a torch to heat them up a bit should get them into form to reduce stress on the rubber.

The mufflers may have an offset inlet but they are also a different dimension which may dictate placing the inlet in a different location relative to the size of the muffler.

I agree, though, that the fitment is not optimum and could be improved.

OP
OP
OrionR5

OrionR5

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram 1500 Sport
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Those hangers and brackets do look a little off but some time with a torch to heat them up a bit should get them into form to reduce stress on the rubber.

The mufflers may have an offset inlet but they are also a different dimension which may dictate placing the inlet in a different location relative to the size of the muffler.

I agree, though, that the fitment is not optimum and could be improved.

Maddog,
I would like to get this sorted out, not really sure do I go to a different install shop or whether this needs to be returned. If it can be installed so it does not hit the frame it might work. I know that the position of the inlet will dictate muffler position on the truck.

MADDOG

Not RamForum Staff
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
If it were me, I'd start with the seller of the system. If they can't provide a replacement due to poor fitment, then I'd talk with your shop about tweaking the hangers to fit and not have the system banging on the frame.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

OP
OP
OrionR5

OrionR5

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram 1500 Sport
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
If it were me, I'd start with the seller of the system. If they can't provide a replacement due to poor fitment, then I'd talk with your shop about tweaking the hangers to fit and not have the system banging on the frame.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Thanks for your input. I appreciate it.
Cheers.

DanBen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It looks like the shop welded on the muffler rod hangers. If they did and they are excessively pulling on the hanger bracket rubbers then the shop did not do a good job locating and welding on the rod hangers to the muffler. I would not think Magnaflow would have welded them on with non-stainless steel welding.

If the center inlet and outlet locations force the muffler to be located against the frame then the inlet should have either been offset or the front pipe should have a bend to offset the muffler away from the frame and the rear pipes may be able to be adjusted to move the muffler away from the frame and still line up the rear tips?

If you bought a cat back system complete with muffler (Magnaflow Cat Back System), Magnaflow or the seller should be responsible for the front inlet and pipe location. If it came with a inlet pipe then the pipe should have come bent.

If you bought the cat back system from the shop, the shop should be responsible for a good fit, bent front pipe and hangers in the correct location.

5th generation exhaust is different from previous generations with single 3" in and single 3" out then to y and then to the tips. The cat back systems may be similar replacing the front pipe from the flange, the muffler, and the rear pipes and tips. The main difference besides just dimensions may be the front pipe to connect to the flange? I don't know for sure but it is my guess. Is it possible that they sold an older generation cat back setup?

RoadRamblerNJ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
Loosey Goosey is the way to go doing Magna Flow exhausts. I did the dual on my '09 Ram SLT 4X4 w/5.7 and the single with dual tips on my '17 CC LB 4X4 w/6.4. In the pics with the muffler up against the frame, it looks like all the clamps are tightened up. That don't work, trust me. There is a reason MF says start tightening in the front and work your way back. You gotta do some jiggling and tugging and adjusting depth of connections to get it all right. THEN, and only then does everything get tightened. Your 2nd guy figured that out.

OP
OP
OrionR5

OrionR5

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram 1500 Sport
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Loosey Goosey is the way to go doing Magna Flow exhausts. I did the dual on my '09 Ram SLT 4X4 w/5.7 and the single with dual tips on my '17 CC LB 4X4 w/6.4. In the pics with the muffler up against the frame, it looks like all the clamps are tightened up. That don't work, trust me. There is a reason MF says start tightening in the front and work your way back. You gotta do some jiggling and tugging and adjusting depth of connections to get it all right. THEN, and only then does everything get tightened. Your 2nd guy figured that out.

The second shop definitely figured it out. Just happy to have it up and running. The thought of boxing it all up and returning it was not welcomed.

DRkNESS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
So you went to a “ second shop “ with the same exhaust and they did the job perfectly ?

msw1382

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Sorry, didn't see your PM until today. Yes, and a big yes, you need to start front and work your way back. Your " not novice" ship sounds like they're really a novice or they don't care.

What I don't get is how they tweaked it that bad

DwnDak

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Sorry, didn't see your PM until today. Yes, and a big yes, you need to start front and work your way back. Your " not novice" ship sounds like they're really a novice or they don't care.

What I don't get is how they tweaked it that bad

Hard to believe they couldn't figure out how to get it set up correctly with some minor adjustments.... Was this a performance shop, or your local Midas type muffler/brakes/oilchange shop?? As easy and "bolt on" as these systems are meant to be, nothing aftermarket (rare) bolts up and goes. So if this was a local service shop, its likely they bolted it up, didn't fit and said, nope.. not doing it. Some people won't take time, or care to install aftermarket stuff because of fitment issues that often arise.