magnaflow vs flowmaster?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OGsohcHondaLOVE

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I was wanting to upgrade my muffler but don't want something with a loud anoying drone at hwy speed. I'd like it to sound almost stock at idle but really open up when I mash on it and need it to work. I was looking at a 24" magnaflow 3" center to center and then I had a GC come in the shop yesterday with a Flowmaster on it and really liked the sound. Haven't heard anything in person with the 24" magnaflow. Any opinions?

qzing01

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7l Diesel
I was looking for the same thing and put a 18" Magnaflow on mine and I now I am wishing I would have went with the 24" I really like the sound and how deep it is but the drone in the cab is a bit much.

Chewy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V8
The flowmasters got their nickname "drone master" for a reason. I have one on my F150 and it sounds good, but they don't flow as well as a Magnaflow and they're steel so they rust.

I bought the 24" MF Mufflex for my truck after listening to clips on youtube. IMO, it gives you the best of both worlds. V8 sound without the annoying drone. It's still straight through so it flows well too. It just eats more DB's as it pass through. Noise doesn't necessarily equate to power.

JMO

Last edited:

Hemi450hp

Moe's Performance
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500
Engine
Whipple Supercharged 422" Hemi
I also agree with the 24" Magnaflow. It is going to flow much better than the Flowmaster, and it will give you the sound you are looking for. Slightly deeper idle, mild at highway speeds, but definitely noticeable when you are heavy on the throttle.

Yo Nadz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 Sport Crew Cab 4x4
I've got the Magnaflow 14. It drones a little, shoulda went with the 18 or 24, but I'm happy for now. Either way, Matt @ Moe's can hook you up when you're ready. Best prices you'll find.

SILVER_BULLET

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
i've got the magnaflow 14. It drones a little, shoulda went with the 18 or 24, but i'm happy for now. Either way, matt @ moe's can hook you up when you're ready. Best prices you'll find.

thats weird i have that paired with long tube headers and there isnt any drone

mocaby73

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I went with a Borla muffler with 2 1/2" exhaust from the y out to 3 1/2 or 4" tips. Nice deep sound not to loud but you can definitely hear when you get in the throttle.

OP
OP
OGsohcHondaLOVE

OGsohcHondaLOVE

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Just realized I put this in the wrong generation forum. Should I go ahead and do the y pipe too?

BlackedOutHemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 & 2012
Engine
5.7L HEMI & 6.7L Cummins
Just realized I put this in the wrong generation forum. Should I go ahead and do the y pipe too?

Moved it for ya. I had an 18" Magnaflow on my 08 that was dumped right before the back axle. It was loud in the cab, but if you ran it out to the back it wouldn't be near as bad.

as for the y-pipe. That largely depends on what you're looking for. If you just want to make more noise, then a y-pipe isn't needed, but if you're eventually going to go for performance, that y pipe will help the engine breathe.

OP
OP
OGsohcHondaLOVE

OGsohcHondaLOVE

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Thanks for moving it! Yeah I'm not going g for noise at all actually! I just figured since I have aem brute force and the S/C VIVID then the y pipe would compliment it all with the muffler.