Ride quality

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Musky Mike

Reaction score
Ram Year
Has anyone rode in both a 5th Gen 1500 and 5th Gen 2500 (Hemi)? How was ride quality in the 2500 verses the 1500?

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L non-Etorque
What's your reason for considering the 2500? 5th gen 1500's ride quite a bit better than the 2019 2500 I test drove a few years back. It rode fine but it wasn't great. It was a big reason I went with a 1500 back then, and have stuck with them. I don't tow often, and when I do it's a small boat. So I really had no need for an HD. If your main purpose for the truck is for commuting I would highly recommend a 1500. If you ever need to tow towards the upper limits of a 1500 you might want to go with the HD. My advice would be to just go and drive a couple of them and see for yourself. Just leave your wallet at home LOL.

KKBB

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Has anyone rode in both a 5th Gen 1500 and 5th Gen 2500 (Hemi)? How was ride quality in the 2500 verses the 1500?
I have a 2019 ram 2500. My wife has a 2022 ram 1500 with air suspension. The 1500 rides way better than the 2500 does. There is no comparison. The 2500 rides amazing for a 3/4 ton truck, but not close to the 1500. If we didn't have a 5th wheel we pull around a little bit, I would not have the 2500.

OP
OP
Musky Mike

Musky Mike

Reaction score
Ram Year
My reason is I have a 2019 1500 and I want a new truck, but 2024 1500s only come with E-Torque and I want nothing to do that. I don't use my truck for daily driving, I only need it when I "need" a truck. Oh, and I don't want the new hurricane engine! So I was just trying to see how much worse the 2500 rode. Oh, one more thing, the dealer can't move 2500s been that why for years, the price on 2500s is really good. Now mine you, I'm not tech guy, A Tradesman with a few features is fine.

So my basic reasons are:
- No E-Torque
- No Hurricane
- No heated transmission fluid
- No sliding rear window (huge problem on my 1500)
- Price

Last edited:

KYPOTLICKER

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I own a 22 1500, was given a 23 2500 as a rental this week.
1. 2500 rides good for a 2500, but is not comparable to the 1500. Found myself wishing for the ride of my truck.
2. 6.4 averaged 16.5 mpg 90 highway at 77 mph put roughly 500 miles on the truck last week.
3. Hemi on my leveled truck is only about 1-1.5 mpg better than the 6.4 on the highway

Tulecreeper

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
My reason is I have a 2019 1500 and I want a new truck, but 2024 1500s only come with E-Torque and I want nothing to do that. I don't use my truck for daily driving, I only need it when I "need" a truck. Oh, and I don't want the new hurricane engine! So I was just trying to see how much worse the 2500 rode. Oh, one more thing, the dealer by can't more 2500s been that why for years, the price on 2500s is really good. Now mine you, I'm not tech guy, A Tradesman with a few features is fine.

So my basic reasons are:
- No E-Torque
- No Hurricane
- Price
Then get something like I got. Basic truck, no bells and whistles - not even power windows or locks. Truck rides just fine. My wife even commented on how smooth it is for a big truck. Gas mileage if of no concern to me.

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
My reason is I have a 2019 1500 and I want a new truck, but 2024 1500s only come with E-Torque and I want nothing to do that. I don't use my truck for daily driving, I only need it when I "need" a truck. Oh, and I don't want the new hurricane engine! So I was just trying to see how much worse the 2500 rode. Oh, one more thing, the dealer by can't more 2500s been that why for years, the price on 2500s is really good. Now mine you, I'm not tech guy, A Tradesman with a few features is fine.

So my basic reasons are:
- No E-Torque
- No Hurricane
- Price
Go buy a low mile Tundra that still had the V8, avoids all those things. If Toyota made a 2500 crew cab long box, that is exactly what I would be driving. That or a real low mileage Ram 1500.

I have the 2500 and don't mind the ride at all, particularly compared to my 1996 Ram 2500, but even the new one doesn't ride near as good as a 1500.

Papa Red

Papa Red
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
My 2020 2500 rides as nice as my 2007 1500 did. It's a very comfortable ride. My wife prefers riding in my truck than in her vehicle.

Red

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Go buy a low mile Tundra that still had the V8, avoids all those things. If Toyota made a 2500 crew cab long box, that is exactly what I would be driving. That or a real low mileage Ram 1500.

I have the 2500 and don't mind the ride at all, particularly compared to my 1996 Ram 2500, but even the new one doesn't ride near as good as a 1500.
IMHO Nissan is making a Huge mistake next year. This is the last year of the Titan period. Jut DXing the line. U can get a heck of a nice 2024 Titan ProX 4 with every option manageable for like $62K, U neva match that with RAM. Luv my 1500, but I have no need for a 2500, if I did I would own. As far as OP not wanting to go Hurricane etc, I understand his reasoning, which is why I will keep my 1500 (non E TQ, series of 1st built 5th Gens in April 2018), for as long as possible. There have been some hiccups, but have all been repaired, covered under warranty and extended warranty and Maxcare. Makes sense with what OP is looking for to go 2500, but he will sacrifice a lil ride and such but with get other better capabilities to go 2500.

Last edited:

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L non-Etorque
IMHO Nissan is making a Huge mistake next year. This is the last year of the Tundra period. Jut DXing the line. U can get a heck of a nice 2024 Tundra ProX 4 with every option manageable for like $62K, U neva match that with RAM. Luv my 1500, but I have no need for a 2500, if I did I would own. As far as OP not wanting to go Hurricane etc, I understand his reasoning, which is why I will keep my 1500 (non E TQ, series of 1st built 5th Gens in April 2018), for as long as possible. There have been some hiccups, but have all been repaired, covered under warranty and extended warranty and Maxcare. Makes sense with what OP is looking for to go 2500, but he will sacrifice a lil ride and such but with get other better capabilities to go 2500.
I know you meant Titan, not Tundra. But I agree that some good deals can be found with Titans. I owned an older Pathfinder for a couple years. It was a good vehicle. The 4.0 v6 had good power. But there were timing chain issues with those engines, and replacing them was pretty involved. I got rid of it when I started hearing the tell-tale "supercharger whine". My biggest complaint about Nissan was their interiors.

turkeybird56

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I know you meant Titan, not Tundra. But I agree that some good deals can be found with Titans. I owned an older Pathfinder for a couple years. It was a good vehicle. The 4.0 v6 had good power. But there were timing chain issues with those engines, and replacing them was pretty involved. I got rid of it when I started hearing the tell-tale "supercharger whine". My biggest complaint about Nissan was their interiors.
Frack, argh,,, dumb boird, gobble gobble gobble. I sometimes tend to get them 2 mixed up. Except for Motorcycles, neva had any "foreign" vehicles in US. Now, when in Germany, well dat different. Opel, Audi, BMW, Mercedes, lol.

"corrected", grumble, grumble, grumble, gobble, gobble, gobble, grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr,.

ADDED: My neighbor has a 23 RAM Lonestar. Got the great Blue color but friggin E Torque. He wants a Titan for all the included extra safety stuff: Like lane passing, 360 degree stuff, all the added safety in the Titan that U can get at 62K and cost U a heck of a lot more for RAM. I looked and told him, he betta hurry if he is gonna do, as there are not really that many Titans in the area since the news got around that this is the last year. I looked at the features: Really loaded but the Interiors are sub par to RAM, not know about the ride.

Last edited:

2003F350

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD

So my basic reasons are:
- No E-Torque
- No Hurricane
- Price

Okay so I'll throw this out there.

Bought the wife a '23 with the V6 eTorque and honestly...kinda love it. It's torquey, does a good enough job pulling our flatbed loaded down with quads (it's not high-horsepower for sure but plenty for most of what she does), sure it shifts a bit pulling grades but it does wonderfully. Turning off the auto start/stop (which is activated by that generator/alternator combo, NOT the starter on this thing) is a simple push of a button every time you start the truck. It's been trouble free and I don't really see a downside to it since it's pretty well proven out technology. Sure it's a mild hybrid and has a battery pack but I'm honestly not worried about it.

I can understand the desire to avoid the Hurricane for now since it's unproven, but if it's anything like every other straight-six I've ever had the pleasure of driving/owning, it's going to be an animal. Once it's been out a few years and has some miles on it I fully expect it to replace the 6.4 since it makes comparable power and torque.

If you don't want heated transmission fluid, you're going to have to buy an older vehicle without a transmission oil cooler and thermostat. Not many vehicles are without that anymore. That said I've never had an issue with the system, I put over 100k on my last truck that had it and had zero issues with that.

Every truck I've owned since 2003 has had a sliding rear window and NONE of them have had a problem, whether power or manual. Even on my '99 SD which didn't have the latch to keep it closed it just...stayed closed unless I opened it myself. If your issue has been water intrusion, that's probably the high mounted brake light seal, which is a COMMON problem especially on 1500s, if you replace it with I believe an aftermarket gasket the issue is resolved.

Again if you're worried about price, go buy used - you won't like the prices of new trucks, they've pretty much all been bumped up over the last couple years.

Hardracer

Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 1500 laramie 4x4 crew cab
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hasn't that hurricane been in the cheerokee for a couple years now?
Iv been reading more and more about that motor..looks pretty stout/decent..I dunno though,wife still wants another 4runner.

2003F350

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
Iv been reading more and more about that motor..looks pretty stout/decent..I dunno though,wife still wants another 4runner.
I think it's the same architecture but different displacement. Pretty sure the Cherokee motor is a 4-banger.

Hardracer

Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 1500 laramie 4x4 crew cab
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Ahh..never read into the cheerokee.

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L non-Etorque
Right brand, wrong model. They've been in the Wagoneer (SO) and Grand Wagoneer (HO) for a couple years now.

turkeybird56

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Guess I’m just biased but being able to walk out. Jump into RAM turn key (push button), and go beats out ne gotta plug in stuff etc. I had a 99 Ford F150 with straight 6 inline manual. Truck was a beast go ne where. Beats the rolling computer stuff but of course u give up a lot of conveniences lol. Easy to work on too. But new age more and more rolling computers lol.