Magnum intake to carb swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

lay_z_boy91092

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2 Magnum
I've got a 92 half ton I'm thinking about converting to a carb. I know I can get the proper intake now, but I've heard different things about wiring. I'm knowledgeable enough to to the swap and wire the engine, but I've heard that eliminating the computer isn't as simple as using an electronic ignition system. I've been searching for write ups to find out if I've been misinformed, but haven't found anything. I was hoping someone on this forum could help me. If anyone's done this and has a write-up or can run me through it, I would much appreciate some help

Sent from my SM-T380 using Tapatalk

crazzywolfie

Reaction score
Ram Year
81 93
Engine
unless you are having serious issues you are best to keep it fuel injected. carbs suck compared to fuel injection. i would even recommend aftermarket TBI setup over carb

OP
OP
L

lay_z_boy91092

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2 Magnum
I have considered an aftermarket TBI setup, but a carb setup is more affordable. I'm just not a fan of the MPFI setup on the early magnums. Also, I prefer to not rely on a computer.

crazzywolfie

Reaction score
Ram Year
81 93
Engine
mpfi is better than carb and a lot cheaper if it is all working as it should. with the way most fuel is these days i would never recommend carbs anymore. i probably spend an extra $150-200/year more on special fuel for carb

DustyDog99

Reaction score
Ram Year
1985 D250, 1986 W150
Engine
1985:318-2bbl 1986:318-4bbl
As far as swapping to a carb, go for it. The ignition swap is easy with a kit from summit racing. Mine came with a billet distributor and I think I paid under 200 bucks. The intakes for the magnum heads are a little pricey but not terrible. I currently have a 625 demon on my 318 and it works well. Gas mileage is decent and it was easy to install. Set a base timing of 14 degrees with the higher compression ratio of the magnum. Properly tuned carbs are pretty good on gas. I average better than factory mileage even after the demon swap.

Sent from my SM-S727VL using Tapatalk

OP
OP
L

lay_z_boy91092

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2 Magnum
DustyDog99 I had heard there was a kit for it, but I haven't had any luck searching for it. Nothing that I can say for sure will be what I need. If you could point me in the right direction that would be awesome. As far as the computer goes, will it be eliminated completely? Im still some time away from doing the swap yet,but any info you can give me would be greatly appreciated.

OP
OP
L

lay_z_boy91092

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2 Magnum
I'm also tossing around the idea of just doing an aftermarket ignition system now. It seems most my problems may be in the spark. Need to do more investigating. I Just know I want to do upgrades on this engine while also working through some issues I'm having. I'm not 100% sure which route to go

DustyDog99

Reaction score
Ram Year
1985 D250, 1986 W150
Engine
Let me do some checking but I am willing to bet that they combined fuel and spark control. If you go to the aftermarket ignition, it probably wouldn't run. That being said you might be able to piggy back an msd or whatever brand box on to it to give the computer it's info on injector timing while improving your ignition performance. This would probably be the cheapest way to fix the truck. I will get the info off the ignition kit for you if you decide to go that route.

OP
OP
L

lay_z_boy91092

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2 Magnum
Hit a major setback now. Caught fire 3 times the other day. Came from behind the motor appeared to be on top of the bell housing. I've lost gauge lights and taillights. Havent investigated further but I'm now suspecting it was an electrical fire and bad wiring may be the root of my issues.
Looks like I'm gonna be parking it and going through the wiring for awhile. I love these old dodges, but owning a truck as old as I am comes with a list of headaches lol

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

DustyDog99

Reaction score
Ram Year
1985 D250, 1986 W150
Engine
That sucks. I'm sorry to hear that. I hope it doesn't turn in to a huge problem.

OP
OP
L

lay_z_boy91092

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2 Magnum
I lost fuel return line off the motor and a bunch of wiring from the fire. The strange part is, it still fires up and runs exactly the way it did before. Just no tailights or dashlights

OP
OP
L

lay_z_boy91092

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2 Magnum
I lost fuel return line off the motor and a bunch of wiring from the fire. The strange part is, it still fires up and runs exactly the way it did before. Just no tailights or dashlights

And that's just at quick glance. Hoping to just get a donor from a buddy and gut the whole engine bay. Maybe finally get all the issues worked out