Manifolds leak again, options please

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Kap1

Ex Ram 1500 2013 owner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Tundra
Engine
3.5 vvti
Hi everyone,

My ram 1500 2013 110k miles got a leak again from the manifolds. Dealer already replaced bolts couple of times over the years, and even a head replaced couple of years ago as they couldn't drill out the broken bolts... It now has a rumbling noise at startup for about 5 seconds and psst psst psst noises sometimes when I'm driving, sounds like an exhaust manifolds leak, right??

What are my options to get it fixed permanently?

I've heard of shorty headers, which one is the best choice? And will fit easily?

I've heard of long headers, and that it won't pass smog test with those. I'm in CA. But I never was asked to do smog test on my truck for the past 8 years. Maybe because it's considered as commercial vehicle...

Any advise is greatly appreciated!!

Treburkulosis

Your High End Detailer
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Lonestar Edition converted over to a Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Headers for sure. I am sure someone will chime in. I am in the market as well. Mine finally did it. I got real lucky it lasted 9 years.

GRN69CHV

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
For bolts to break a second time, I would be looking at the exhaust system mounts. Once manifolds are seasoned, they typically don't change.

NJMOPAR

Older and faster
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Have the manifolds planed level, use new bolts & Remflex 6022 gaskets and toss the heat shields.

After they warp (which they all do) the manifolds break bolts. Just doing new bolts & gaskets doesn't fix the warp.

cityredneck

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
what simpleman said, i also put kooks shorties on. i was lucky and none of my bolts were broken. i had 36k miles (or around that) when i changed them out. wont have to worry about exhaust leaks or broken bolts at all now.

OP
OP
Kap1

Kap1

Ex Ram 1500 2013 owner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Tundra
Engine
3.5 vvti
I went with Kooks shorty headers & remflex gaskets best choice imo

A few questions:

1. Is it easy to install Kooks shorty headers? Will my mechanic need to do any modifications for the exhaust pipe, or it'll fit right on?

2. How does shorty headers help to avoid this issue again? And why is it better than the stock headers?

3. How about the bolts? Do Kooks come with better bolts?

4. What's a good place to order these headers? I need them by next Wednesday appointment date...

NJMOPAR

Older and faster
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
The header install isn't that difficult for a competent mechanic, I'd be more concerned with broken bolts & how well the shop knows how to deal with them.
Headers won't warp but will bring more heat into the engine compartment.
The stock exhaust isn't a header, it's a cast iron manifold. Headers breathe better.

Nick@GotExhaust

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Kooks and AFE gets my vote for best shorties for the RAM. They both feature a 3/8" flange that wont warp like the thin stock manifolds. Both are high quality and have great fitment.

MartyZ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
2500 5.7l Hemi
I went with ARH Long Tube Headers from Moe's (Vendor), Remflex 6022, and ARP Bolts. I have the Gasket and bolts, just waiting on my headers to start the surgery.
View media item 30891My leak sounds horrendous now, I can grab my heat shield through the fender liner and move it all over the place. Sounds like I'm driving a POS until it warms up, then you just hear the exhaust leaking air like you mentioned. Cant wait to have it repaired and sounding mean again.

Simpleman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
A few questions:

1. Is it easy to install Kooks shorty headers? Will my mechanic need to do any modifications for the exhaust pipe, or it'll fit right on?

2. How does shorty headers help to avoid this issue again? And why is it better than the stock headers?

3. How about the bolts? Do Kooks come with better bolts?

4. What's a good place to order these headers? I need them by next Wednesday appointment date...
It's not a hard job to do. Kooks gives you bolts and gaskets but don't use the gaskets the ones mine came with were wrong order remflex 6022 gaskets I ordered mine from summit racing they have excellent customer service and super fast shipping

OP
OP
Kap1

Kap1

Ex Ram 1500 2013 owner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Tundra
Engine
3.5 vvti
All right... So I just found out that shorty headers are illegal in CA?

If I still install them, will I have trouble passing smog test every couple of years? I don't think that the shop looks under the truck, and only do the sniffer test with the machine... So will be the test fall because of the headers?

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI
I sanded my manifolds flat with a belt sander after they warped never a issue again i do this on jeeps to its the only way to go unless you want new headers,.

I like this idea.

And when you have them off give them a good port and polish job.

Sent while firmly grasping my Redline lubed Ram [emoji231]

clint440

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
All right... So I just found out that shorty headers are illegal in CA?

If I still install them, will I have trouble passing smog test every couple of years? I don't think that the shop looks under the truck, and only do the sniffer test with the machine... So will be the test fall because of the headers?

Shorties shouldn't affect testing as you are bolting into the factory unmodified Y pipe. No change in the factory CATS or location whatsoever.

LTs even with CATs are different in the sense that the CATs are high flow (200 cell vs 400) and farther away from the engine, so less heat. That's what throws off the emissions testing.

jwhitebird

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Shorties shouldn't affect testing as you are bolting into the factory unmodified Y pipe. No change in the factory CATS or location whatsoever.

LTs even with CATs are different in the sense that the CATs are high flow (200 cell vs 400) and farther away from the engine, so less heat. That's what throws off the emissions testing.
My passenger side rear 2 studs have sheared.... I need a fix but not a bandaid. I would like to re use my stock manifold or maybe buy a new manifold just wasn’t looking to throw headers at it

MudSkipper

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
all the manifolds need decked... head needs checked for flat... if your motor mounts are shot this can add. Add a flex joint to the exhaust if you dont want to go header route.

It might not be a bad time for motor mounts also if youve been getting on it. Exhaust bolts must be torqued in a sequence.(It was added to manual in 2009).

BEAST19

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
all the manifolds need decked... head needs checked for flat... if your motor mounts are shot this can add. Add a flex joint to the exhaust if you dont want to go header route.

It might not be a bad time for motor mounts also if youve been getting on it. Exhaust bolts must be torqued in a sequence.(It was added to manual in 2009).

Any idea on sequence ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk