MidwestExpress Build

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MidwestExpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7L
I've got some free time tonight, so thought I'd throw together a build thread.

I bought the truck brand new and took delivery of it in May 2014. It was impossible to find a 4X4 Express with LSD & 3.92 gears around here, so I special ordered it. I got the exact options that I wanted, err actually, that I could afford. I got a decent deal, sticker at about 41k (see below) and I paid about 33k. I used the corporate friends program, can't remember the name of it at the moment, and all available rebates that I qualified for. I had the dealership tint the front windows + install the Mopar CAI, splash guards & Cat-back exhaust as soon as the truck arrived.

IMG_3880.jpg
IMG_0146.JPG

OP
OP
MidwestExpress

MidwestExpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7L
Within 2 days of getting it, I had Bilstein 5100s installed all around and set the front lift height at 2.8". BFG A/T 285/65 put on as well. I basically did nothing else to the truck for next 4 years except drive it and general maintenance.

IMG_0149.JPG

OP
OP
MidwestExpress

MidwestExpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7L
In early 2018, I rear ended a mini van on the highway in a snowstorm. It sucked. No one was hurt, thankfully. Both vehicles were still drive able. My bumper was cracked in a coupe spots and scratched up pretty good, so it was time for me to get the ADD Stealth bumper that I had wanted all along.

IMG_1629.JPG

OP
OP
MidwestExpress

MidwestExpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7L
In summer 2019, I installed JBA shorty headers. I did it mainly to avoid the manifold bolt issue, and also because I always wanted headers on a vehicle so why not go for it? The gains are minimal, not really even noticeable, but I'm not tuned (yet) so I really didn't expect much.

IMG_2534.JPG
IMG_2873.JPG

OP
OP
MidwestExpress

MidwestExpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7L
Just a couple weeks ago, I installed the matching rear ADD Stealth bumper w/cube lights + a 20" light bar for the front bumper. I know that mentioning this without pics is useless - I'll try to get some pics up soon.

OP
OP
MidwestExpress

MidwestExpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7L
As for future plans, here's what else I'd like to get eventually:

- ported TB
- custom tuned
- tonneau cover
- tool box
- Carli track bar drop bracket
- rear control arms
- brake upgrade
- 17" rims w/35x12.5 tires. A set of 5 and I'm going to bed mount the 5th.

I do plan on keeping this truck for as long as possible and would love to make it just a rainy day/dirty work/farm drive/winter vehicle, to keep my future Corvette nice and clean : )

OP
OP
MidwestExpress

MidwestExpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7L
I spent a lot of time sporadically the last couple days with my truck in the driveway, here's what I got done:

*Changed the oil. Used Redline 5W20 and Royal Purple 10-48 filter.
*Replaced air filter. MOPAR CAI filter - it is supposed to be a washable/reusable filter, but I have doubts about how clean it can really get and with my driving habits paying $50 every 3 years to replace it just seems easy enough.
*Greased suspension. Had an issue come up with the UCAs squeaking now, made a post about it on my suspension thread.
*Rotated tires.
*Replaced battery. I had the original battery still and figured at 6 years, just safe to replace at this point. Went with an AGM battery from Costco.
*Gave her a bath.

IMG_3901.jpg

ram1500rsm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I spent a lot of time sporadically the last couple days with my truck in the driveway, here's what I got done:

*Changed the oil. Used Redline 5W20 and Royal Purple 10-48 filter.
*Replaced air filter. MOPAR CAI filter - it is supposed to be a washable/reusable filter, but I have doubts about how clean it can really get and with my driving habits paying $50 every 3 years to replace it just seems easy enough.
*Greased suspension. Had an issue come up with the UCAs squeaking now, made a post about it on my suspension thread.
*Rotated tires.
*Replaced battery. I had the original battery still and figured at 6 years, just safe to replace at this point. Went with an AGM battery from Costco.
*Gave her a bath.

View attachment 201531
So did you fix the issue with the squeaking ucas ?

OP
OP
MidwestExpress

MidwestExpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7L
It's been around 6 months since I've done any truck mod, so I had to scratch that itch and I ordered the upper glove box. Put it in today. It's pretty boring as far as mods go. Useful, but boring. Below are before and after pics. I'll have to do some more exciting mods soon.

Open.jpg Finished.jpg

OP
OP
MidwestExpress

MidwestExpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7L
I added the Moes 87MM ported TB today. I've only been able to take it for short drive so far. Throttle response does feel better. I'm not going to put it on a dyno or take it to the track, so it's all just by feel. I'm hoping that once I get it tuned, it'll give me a decent bump with the CAI, TB, shorty's & cat-back already on.

IMG_4695.jpg IMG_4696.jpg

ram1500rsm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
OP
OP
MidwestExpress

MidwestExpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7L
IMG_5017.jpg

My 1st time ever getting a tune for a vehicle. I ordered direct through Hemifever and working with him has been awesome. Purchased the i3 and custom tune. I've only had it for 6 days so far. I ran a canned tune for a few days and that was meh. After sending Hemifever some files, I've had his custom tune in now for a few days and that's been great. I sent him a data log to really perfect the tune, but he didn't like the readings due to possibly the gas that I had in it, so I'm going to work on burning the current gas (Costco) and getting different gas (Shell) in the tank over the next week or so and will then send him another data log to see what he thinks.

Probably the least anticipated, but best part of the tune is that the MDS is now off and my exhaust sound is soo much more consistent. I had just been used to the exhaust sound fluctuating with the MDS all this time - now having a constant V8 rumble and no sound flutters has become a much more enjoyable drive around town.

hodge-xj

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 cummins
How's that icon setup treating you?

OP
OP
MidwestExpress

MidwestExpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7L
How's that icon setup treating you?

Hanging strong man, no regerts. I've been working from home since Rona season started last March, so I really haven't put many miles on it, but it's handled everything that I've thrown at it just fine. It's a little overkill for my uses truthfully, but I got good pricing on the parts and can live happy with what I paid and the ROI that I got. It's solid for street use and smooths out gravel/dirt roads & farm fields with ease. My only small gripe is the rear end seems to jump around a bit, nothing horrible - but I do plan on adding the Carli TB drop bracket and replace the control arms at some point.