Mileage meter is not accurate.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dpinvidic

This guy gets shotgun
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 RAM 1500 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Has anyone checked the accuracy of their MPG reading on the truck?
My 2014 Laramie is consistently reading about 1 MPG higher than actual.

Filled up today and the reading was 13.6mpg
Did the calculation and it was 12.76

I have been trying to see if I get better mileage by using premium fuel, and have noticed this on the last three fill-up.

Dan

Dante221

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.9
Good enough .....

Has anyone checked the accuracy of their MPG reading on the truck?
My 2014 Laramie is consistently reading about 1 MPG higher than actual.

Filled up today and the reading was 13.6mpg
Did the calculation and it was 12.76

I have been trying to see if I get better mileage by using premium fuel, and have noticed this on the last three fill-up.

Dan
....for government work!
:big_banana_Dance:

Dante :waytogo:

TRCM

USN, Retired
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 1500 Laramie CC 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
The silverado I traded in on my ram actually was consistently within .1 mpg of hand calc'd

I wish my Ram was even remotely that close....only thing I miss about the chevy.....that, and the headlights that were 100x better

Ocelot

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hand calculating mine shows the Average and DTE is really close on mine. Usually between .75 and 1 MPG. In my book, that's really close. I do notice that it's most accurate when I fill the tank, which is most of the time. When I occasionally put in less than a full tank, it's over 1 mpg off.

Ray

OP
OP
dpinvidic

dpinvidic

This guy gets shotgun
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 RAM 1500 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Anybody got a take on using premium gas to get better mileage?
Does mileage improve enough to justify the cost.

Before I knew the readings were off, I needed .6mpg better to make up the cost.
Now I need to recalculate.

Dan

granite14

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500, 4x4, CC, SLT Big Horn
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I would think that the accuracy of the EVIC would be better than the uncontrolled variables from pump to pump and day to day
- the amount of vacuum in the pump to cause it to shutoff or not
- the temperature of the gas already in the tank and in the ground tank

(higher temperature = more volume, which will make the pump shut off faster).
snopes.com: Tips on Pumping Gas

OP
OP
dpinvidic

dpinvidic

This guy gets shotgun
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 RAM 1500 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I would think that the accuracy of the EVIC would be better than the uncontrolled variables from pump to pump and day to day
- the amount of vacuum in the pump to cause it to shutoff or not
- the temperature of the gas already in the tank and in the ground tank

(higher temperature = more volume, which will make the pump shut off faster).
snopes.com: Tips on Pumping Gas

In Calif. this stuff is checked on a regular basis by the Weights and Measures guys. They make sure that the gallons dispensed equals what is read.
There is some kind of disclaimer about the amount of energy varies based on temperature.

What the Snopes info says is likely true, but my opinion is that it really only amounts to a few cents. And if I always buy gas at the same Costco (which I do), then temperature and other variable are fairly consistent.

Here are some details that explain why the vehicle gauge is not accurate...I learned something today from this,.

Your Fuel Economy Gauge Is Fibbing

Dan

Last edited:

granite14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
In Calif. this stuff is checked on a regular basis by the Weights and Measures guys. They make sure that the gallons dispensed equals what is read.
There is some kind of disclaimer about the amount of energy varies based on temperature.

What the Snopes info says is likely true, but my opinion is that it really only amounts to a few cents. And if I always buy gas at the same Costco (which I do), then temperature and other variable are fairly consistent.

Here are some details that explain why the vehicle gauge is not accurate...I learned something today from this,.

Your Fuel Economy Gauge Is Fibbing

Dan

Good to know. I would think wrong :fca5278e:

mjd91

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I've checked mine multiple times in the almost 6 months I've had the truck and every time the actual is right at 1mpg lower than the computer reads.
Close enough for me!
It's been the same enough for me to trust it.

WhiteExpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
My EVIC is always optimistic.
Even averaged out over the past 4,000 fill ups (or 20 miles, whichever came first) I get worse MPG ever time.

DannyMK2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Anybody got a take on using premium gas to get better mileage?
Does mileage improve enough to justify the cost.

Before I knew the readings were off, I needed .6mpg better to make up the cost.
Now I need to recalculate.

Dan

i see no difference in fuel mileage or power between 87 and 89. never though about trying 91 or 93 because of this. maybe if i had a tuner that could make use of the higher octane fuel, but that would be more for the performance aspect...i doubt i would realistically see an increase in fuel economy. it would probably go down because my foot would always be in it.

granite14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
On the trip meter B, if I reset it often to measure different types of trips, I consistently see EVIC at 1MPG below hand calculated for the tank.

I just ported my data in Fuelly, and it is calculating 11MPG total since my truck is new (some towing). The trip A has never been reset, and it shows 10.8 over the same distance. That's pretty damn close.

smokinstorm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Oh well, there goes the gas mileage I thought I was getting. The DTE when I fill up shows almost the right number though???? Lots of variables between when I fill up and when I burn the tank out. I've never filled the tank and driven it out without stopping. It's usually a couple of weeks and 600+ miles between fill-ups for me. And a mixture of all kinds of driving in one complete tank.

NewBlackDak

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
I haven't had the truck very long, but the EVIC has been within .1 of what fuelly calculates every time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

loveracing1988

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Oh well, there goes the gas mileage I thought I was getting. The DTE when I fill up shows almost the right number though???? Lots of variables between when I fill up and when I burn the tank out. I've never filled the tank and driven it out without stopping. It's usually a couple of weeks and 600+ miles between fill-ups for me. And a mixture of all kinds of driving in one complete tank.

Want to trade trucks? I would love to go 500 miles on a tank of fuel, let alone 600.

truckin289

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Want to trade trucks? I would love to go 500 miles on a tank of fuel, let alone 600.

My guess is he has the 32 gallon tank option.

I hate when people start comparing how many miles they get to a tank... that doesn't mean anything unless you are 100% sure you have the same vehicle with same tank size. What matters is MPG!